Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I hope to study an engineering degree next year at university. One of the main worries I have is how I will be taught the maths. Will lecturers go over it? Do you have classes solely to practice the maths? Will I be expected to learn most of it by myself? If I am struggling with a question or concept where or who do I go for help?

It would be helpful to hear how you go about learning the maths at university.

ReputationRep:
    Teaching is different everywhere but you'll probably find you have specific maths classes and also that any maths specific to the topic you're covering is covered (although possibly quite briefly). You'll probably have weekly worksheets to go through and for those it's best to work with a bunch of friends and help each other through - you may also have tutorials or smaller classes where you can ask for specific help on the worksheets etc..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Alpexx99)
    Hi guys.

I hope to study an engineering degree next year at university. One of the main worries I have is how I will be taught the maths. Will lecturers go over it? Do you have classes solely to practice the maths? Will I be expected to learn most of it by myself? If I am struggling with a question or concept where or who do I go for help?

It would be helpful to hear how you go about learning the maths at university.
    It's the same as any other module. You have lectures where the lecturer goes over the material. You are given problem sheets to practice the material (problem sheet is the university name for homework). You will have tutorials where you get to go over practice examples or your problem sheets with the lecturer(s) being there to help if you have any problems.

You seem to be developing an unhealthy anxiety towards the maths involved in the degree. It's not that hard. Really. You should intelligent enough to do fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It's the same as any other module. You have lectures where the lecturer goes over the material. You are given problem sheets to practice the material (problem sheet is the university name for homework). You will have tutorials where you get to go over practice examples or your problem sheets with the lecturer(s) being there to help if you have any problems.

You seem to be developing an unhealthy anxiety towards the maths involved in the degree. It's not that hard. Really. You should intelligent enough to do fine.
    Thanks for the help. I guess I am being too anxious. I have an a in maths so I should be okay hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

That's not true for all uni's (at least not for mine). At mine you are given a booklet which tells you what to learn each week, then we have a test on that topic either on a Monday or Thursday the next week. There are no lectures for maths although they have 2 sessions where you can go ask help on anything you're stuck on, but for the most part you self learn it.

Also OP I suggest looking through some of the further pure stuff like complex numbers, differential equations and matrices, they're quite meaty topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    That's not true for all uni's (at least not for mine). At mine you are given a booklet which tells you what to learn each week, then we have a test on that topic either on a Monday or Thursday the next week. There are no lectures for maths although they have 2 sessions where you can go ask help on anything you're stuck on, but for the most part you self learn it.

Also OP I suggest looking through some of the further pure stuff like complex numbers, differential equations and matrices, they're quite meaty topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can I ask which university you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpexx99)
    Can I ask which university you go to?
    University of Southampton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by bigboateng_)
    Wow, I'm surprised at that, but stand corrected.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.