Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

According to WhatUni, my final 5 choices have applicant success rates as 8%, 15%, 15%, 24% and one N/A.

I really feel like I'm setting myself up for failure here because they are all so competitive! Do you think it's better to apply for places you really want to go to with low success rates, or to scrap one of them and apply for somewhere with a much higher success rate, just so that you have more chance of getting on any course at all even if it's not where you really want to go?

Thoughts? :/
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by littlenorthernlass)
    According to WhatUni, my final 5 choices have applicant success rates as 8%, 15%, 15%, 24% and one N/A.

I really feel like I'm setting myself up for failure here because they are all so competitive! Do you think it's better to apply for places you really want to go to with low success rates, or to scrap one of them and apply for somewhere with a much higher success rate, just so that you have more chance of getting on any course at all even if it's not where you really want to go?

What course?

(Original post by Aph)
    What course?
    Primary Education with QTS.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    The applicant success rates could include people who applied who would have not met their requirements in any situation so they could look worse then they actually are.
    I wouldnt let those rates bother you too much, i got 4 interviews last year all of which had less than 20% applicant success rates so dont worry about stats like that too much

It's better to gauge your chances by comparing your achievements with each university's stated admissions criteria rather than looking at the success rates. Looking at those and using them as a measure of your chance of success makes the mistake of assuming that all applicants to those universities are on a level playing field. They're not. Some applicants to each of those universities had no chance of getting in but applied anyway for whatever reason while others might have been average applications -- the success rates don't record these people separately and are hence an unreliable measure of your own chances of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    Primary Education with QTS.
    Why don't you have one back up with a high success rate? You can still turn it down if you get offered a place but at least you have an option.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    The applicant success rates could include people who applied who would have not met their requirements in any situation so they could look worse then they actually are.
    I wouldnt let those rates bother you too much, i got 4 interviews last year all of which had less than 20% applicant success rates so dont worry about stats like that too much
    Did you pass the interviews though?

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Why don't you have one back up with a high success rate? You can still turn it down if you get offered a place but at least you have an option.
    Well that's what I'm thinking is the most sensible option. My heart, however, wants to apply somewhere I would prefer to study. So Huddersfield is my 5th choice with the 8%, but should I go with Sheffield Hallam with 19% or Northumbria with 32%? Even though I would much rather go to Huddersfield.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Did you pass the interviews though?Well that's what I'm thinking is the most sensible option. My heart, however, wants to apply somewhere I would prefer to study. So Huddersfield is my 5th choice with the 8%, but should I go with Sheffield Hallam with 19% or Northumbria with 32%? Even though I would much rather go to Huddersfield.
    I passed one and got put on a waiting list for the others.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Yup. A whole bunch of my sisters' friends applied for Primary Education, only one of them actually met the requirements and they all copied each other's personal statement. When idiots like that apply, it is no wonder the overall success rate looks low. I wouldn't worry about it.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    Yup. A whole bunch of my sisters' friends applied for Primary Education, only one of them actually met the requirements and they all copied each other's personal statement. When idiots like that apply, it is no wonder the overall success rate looks low. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Tell me more! :puppyeyes: So all but one got rejected pre-interview?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Tell me more! :puppyeyes: So all but one got rejected pre-interview?
    Well none of them are at university so I assume so. I don't know if they had interviews, but I doubt it.

Well none of them are at university so I assume so. I don't know if they had interviews, but I doubt it.
    Oh:sigh:

ReputationRep:

Where on WhatUni did you find these rates? It would be interesting to see

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh:sigh:
    I can hardly see that as a reason for you to post a sad smiley unless you also don't meet the entry requirements and also copied your ps.

ReputationRep:
    Statistically, and without additional info, that gives you a 49.5% chance of getting onto one of those 4 that you've given the %s for.

HOWEVER, these are often deceptive. Discount people who don't put any effort in and people who don't meet their grades, and your chances will be much, much higher.

Don't worry, you good gurl
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's pointless getting an offer from somewhere you don't want to go. Put your favourite 5 down, and if it all goes wrong you can apply through UCAS_Extra or Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    What unis your applying to

ReputationRep:

How do you check the success rate of your uni course?

ReputationRep:

I may be completely wrong here (please correct me if I am!) but I believe that applicant success rates are not just the % of people getting offers, but the % of people who applied who end up going. Given that you have 5 choices on UCAS it would seem likely that most would have < 20% success rate due to this.

For example, Warwick has (afaik) an applicant success rate of about 14% while Cambridge has an applicant success rate of 20.8%. This doesn't mean that Warwick is more exclusive or harder to get into than Cambridge, but more that fewer people who get Warwick offers firm and end up going there.

So basically, the applicant success rates shouldn't affect your choice too much. If you want to go to the university on that course and you have the grades, then apply!
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    How did UCAS figure out that your sister's personal statement was the original? Did she submit it first?

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.