Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen 3 A levels and I have to take exams in 4 for 16+ exams.
    I want to take physics, maths, chemistry and further maths but apparently at one of the schools I am applying for, they'll only decide if I can do further maths at the interview (if I get that far)
    My options now in case I'm not allowed to do Further Maths are:
    - English lit or English lang
    - Drama
    - PE (I'm asthmatic and suffer from chronic ankle instability)
    - Tech
    - Philosophy or RS (My mum, although very religious, doesn't look favourably upon either...)
    Opinions on all of these?
    I'm pretty maths/sciency but I do well at English and I love drama.... (and sports - but that's kinda hard when you twist your ankle at least 5 times a day)
    thanks,

ReputationRep:
    Pick the subject you enjoy most/best in or has some benefit for the course you want to do at university, if you do want to go to university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
    I've chosen 3 A levels and I have to take exams in 4 for 16+ exams.
    I want to take physics, maths, chemistry and further maths but apparently at one of the schools I am applying for, they'll only decide if I can do further maths at the interview (if I get that far)
    My options now in case I'm not allowed to do Further Maths are:
    - English lit or English lang
    - Drama
    - PE (I'm asthmatic and suffer from chronic ankle instability)
    - Tech
    - Philosophy or RS (My mum, although very religious, doesn't look favourably upon either...)
    Opinions on all of these?
    I'm pretty maths/sciency but I do well at English and I love drama.... (and sports - but that's kinda hard when you twist your ankle at least 5 times a day)
    thanks,
    do what you think you will get a good grade at and something that relates to what degree you want to do

ReputationRep:
    Just ace the interview and do further maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abb97)
    Pick the subject you enjoy most/best in or has some benefit for the course you want to do at university, if you do want to go to university
    (Original post by 12284)
    do what you think you will get a good grade at and something that relates to what degree you want to do
    I want to do combined physics/maths at uni.... I don't really think any of them have much to do with that....
    I'd get a good grade in English lit or philosophy or rs - I guess....

I'll probably end up doing it in English - I hate English!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Just ace the interview and do further maths
    Don't I wish it was that easy!
    I have to get through the non-calculator exam first - What maths exam is non-calculator? (Ok, like all the GCSE exams apart from IGCSE)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
    I want to do combined physics/maths at uni.... I don't really think any of them have much to do with that....
    I'd get a good grade in English lit or philosophy or rs - I guess....

I'll probably end up doing it in English - I hate English!!!
    My advice is: if you don't like a subject, don't do it at A-Level! Also, don't take a subject just because you did well at GCSE!
    I made this mistake with a couple of my A-Levels, and I found that the subjects you enjoy are the ones you do best at.
    At the end of the day take something you're going to actually like studying rather than one that you think will 'look good' on your application. Doing an A-Level in something you hate is awful, trust me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleCherry)
    My advice is: if you don't like a subject, don't do it at A-Level! Also, don't take a subject just because you did well at GCSE!
    I made this mistake with a couple of my A-Levels, and I found that the subjects you enjoy are the ones you do best at.
    At the end of the day take something you're going to actually like studying rather than one that you think will 'look good' on your application. Doing an A-Level in something you hate is awful, trust me!
    I don't like any of them apart from PE and Drama. I love drama but I'm not great at it - I'm predicted a B and maybe I'll get an A - only be cause of the theory side of it....
    I hate most of my subjects now apart from PE, drama, maths, physics and chemistry....
    I think it might be a requirement that I have further maths - but I don't know.
    If I stay at my current (state) school I'll easily be allowed to take it,

ReputationRep:
    Out of those, English Literature is a 'facilitating A-Level' which universities look favourably upon. However, it comes down to what you enjoy and what you would do best at, so perhaps PE isn't the best option! I am sure you will be allowed to do further maths, but it is very wise to plan a back-up options just in case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatusStarbright)
    Out of those, English Literature is a 'facilitating A-Level' which universities look favourably upon. However, it comes down to what you enjoy and what you would do best at, so perhaps PE isn't the best option! I am sure you will be allowed to do further maths, but it is very wise to plan a back-up options just in case.
    I'll probably do English lit....
    Thanks,

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.