Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Dating two people at once? I don't want to hurt anybody watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In need of some opinions/advice

I'm a 20 year old single female. Been casually seeing a guy for a couple of months (by casual, I mean that I've told him I'm not looking for anything serious and he's ok with this. We're friends. We get on great. We're sleeping together. Basically "friends with benefits", for want of a better expression.)

Within the last week or so another guy has shown interest. He's cute, I'm attracted to him, but I haven't allowed anything to happen. Part of me feels guilty because I'm involved with someone already. I think society has conditioned us (especially women) to feel shame if we are attracted to two people at once. But when you're young, it's sometimes nice to keep your options open

Personally, I think that if things are purely casual then there's no shame in playing the field a little bit. I like to think that I'm liberal and, in turn, sexually liberated.

The only thing I'm worried about is hurting the guy I'm seeing. We've agreed to keep things casual. I've told him that I don't want a relationship and that I don't want to lead him on. We've not discussed exclusivity and whether or not we're allowed to see other people... do you think we should talk about it in depth or does that defeat the purpose of casual dating?

ReputationRep:
    We've not discussed exclusivity and whether or not we're allowed to see other people
    Sounds like this conversation needs to happen. If he doesn't want to be exclusive with you then you have your green light to proceed with Guy B, guilt free.
    However, if he professes feelings for you and wants a relationship then you should probably just terminate the whole 'FWB' thing you've got going on as it doesn't really sound like you're that into him, and you'll only end up hurting him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 18, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.