The Student Room Group

Help with engineering personal statement-explaining a level subjects (chem/phy/mat)?

Hi, i'm applying to aerospace engineering this year, in UK, and wanted some help with my personal statement.

as one of the paragraphs i need to mention my a level subjects, what i enjoyed/what inspired me etc.

but i have to somehow relate skills.knowledge gained to aerospace.

for physics this is quite easy. i need help with a level chem and a level maths.

i said how maths is the foundation of scientific theories and ideas but thats mostly irrelevant right? how do i relate my maths experience and skills to justify a place for aerospace engineering.

For chem i have no idea what to put, how does chemistry relate or help with my degree choice, or any skills gained from it. do i just write fluff (organisation skill/time management etc.) or is there anything else i can write for chemistry.

thank you very much for any help, much appreciated.
Reply 1
I've applied for physics but the skills are fairly similar. For maths: logic, problem solving, working things out from first principles and analysing data. Chemistry is less obvious, but I put abstraction, lateral thinking and independent learning. Keep the 'fluffier' soft skills for the extra curricular section.
Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by poppy77
I've applied for physics but the skills are fairly similar. For maths: logic, problem solving, working things out from first principles and analysing data. Chemistry is less obvious, but I put abstraction, lateral thinking and independent learning. Keep the 'fluffier' soft skills for the extra curricular section.
Hope this helps. :smile:

yes, thankyou
Original post by 09aghandhi
Hi, i'm applying to aerospace engineering this year, in UK, and wanted some help with my personal statement.

as one of the paragraphs i need to mention my a level subjects, what i enjoyed/what inspired me etc.

but i have to somehow relate skills.knowledge gained to aerospace.

for physics this is quite easy. i need help with a level chem and a level maths.

i said how maths is the foundation of scientific theories and ideas but thats mostly irrelevant right? how do i relate my maths experience and skills to justify a place for aerospace engineering.

For chem i have no idea what to put, how does chemistry relate or help with my degree choice, or any skills gained from it. do i just write fluff (organisation skill/time management etc.) or is there anything else i can write for chemistry.

thank you very much for any help, much appreciated.

Unless you have seen specific advice to do so on the website of one of your university choices it is not a good idea to talk about what you have learned from your A-level subjects at all.

The PS should be used to differentiate yourself from other candidates and everyone has learned the same things from their A-level subjects (and the admissions tutors are fully aware of what that is) so it doesn't contribute to your aims if you do so, and is a waste of valuable space.

See my profile for more advice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending