Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKL Causes cancer, says Swedish Research Team watch

Reuters, Saturday, 12 June 2004

A Swedish Research team have announced that their controversial report on the findings of the UKL/Cancer link will be published in the popular medical journal "Nature".

The report claims to prove beyond any reasonable doubt, the lead researcher Per Agnes said in an interview, that "... the time spent on the popular forum `UKL learning` and instances of cancer occurring anywhere on the body have a direct and worryingly strong positive correlation."

While the speculation as to the authenticity of the research has been swept aside by "Nature", the owner of the forum referred to only as "d" commented "This is a clearly false report published with clear malicious intent. If I wasn't so busy reading all this Spam, I'd almost certainly write an angry email to both the team and journal concerned."

The controversy continues.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is although as spoof as your claims are, UKL probably does cause cancer. Well at least a lot of computer use does. The amount of EMF radiation given of the a CRT monitor is quite high and also you're not burning off fat which can cause health problems.

(Original post by roseonthegrave)
    Routers, Saturday, 12 June 2004
    lol

It's spelt reuters.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    The thing is although as spoof as your claims are, UKL probably does cause cancer. Well at least a lot of computer use does. The amount of EMF radiation given of the a CRT monitor is quite high and also you're not burning off fat which can cause health problems.
    Tell it to Per. I'm sure all his hard work would counter your "spoof" claims.

+ thanks for the correction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseonthegrave)
    Reuters, Saturday, 12 June 2004

A Swedish Research team have announced that their controversial report on the findings of the UKL/Cancer link will be published in the popular medical journal "Nature".

The report claims to prove beyond any reasonable doubt, the lead researcher Per Agnes said in an interview, that "... the time spent on the popular forum `UKL learning` and instances of cancer occurring anywhere on the body have a direct and worryingly strong positive correlation."

While the speculation as to the authenticity of the research has been swept aside by "Nature", the owner of the forum referred to only as "d" commented "This is a clearly false report published with clear malicious intent. If I wasn't so busy reading all this Spam, I'd almost certainly write an angry email to both the team and journal concerned."

The controversy continues.
    lol, u probably would get an A* in ur GCSE English, possibly u ve already got it

(Original post by IZZY!)
    lol, u probably would get an A* in ur GCSE English, possibly u ve already got it
    Oh, how I dream...

I'm not sure you should be posting this. I bet there are plently of people on this board gullible enough to actually beleive it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    I'm not sure you should be posting this. I bet there are plently of people on this board gullibe enough to actually beleive it.
    i actually got scared the first time reading it!

ReputationRep:
    I guess programmers will be out of a job then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    what happens if you have a flat screen lol.. does EMF still come from the processor and the rest of the gobbledegook in the big black dell box??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    what happens if you have a flat screen lol.. does EMF still come from the processor and the rest of the gobbledegook in the big black dell box??
    Its electromagnets that emit the radiation, a CRT tube has a big electromagnet on the back of the tube. I should know exactly whats called as I studied this in great detail in the first year.

However TFT monitors give off less because they don't have a cathod ray tube (CRT) however they still need a power supply which gives of EMF.

The main base unit the main thing that gives off EMF inside that is the power supply.

A PC with a TFT monitor will give of quite little EMF I would imagine. The most dangerous things by in the house hold will be the Microwave, Washing Machine, Tumble Dryer and anything else with a large motor.

My uncles put thousands of pounds into research into all of this.

ReputationRep:
    There are an awful lot of everyday things that can increase the risk of cancer. If we avoided them all, we wouldn't be able to do anything!

Yes we couldn't play with X-ray machines or anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    There are an awful lot of everyday things that can increase the risk of cancer. If we avoided them all, we wouldn't be able to do anything!
    Exactly, drinking a can of coke can apparantly cause brain dieseses because bits of the aluminium(sp) can get in your brain, enough of it can apparantly cause damage. However I still drink loads of soft drinks from cans, eat loads of food from then etc.

Even crossing the road can cause cancer. I think the easiest way of putting it is modern living causes cancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Yes we couldn't play with X-ray machines or anything!
    No, because I love doing that every day :rolleyes:

Yes, i'm sorry to ruin your fun - no dancing around in gamma ray infested rooms either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Yes, i'm sorry to ruin your fun - no dancing around in gamma ray infested rooms either!
    Haha you may be a bit dead. I remember my geography teacher telling me once that 1sq cm of radioactive uraniam exposed in the air could be enough to kill a few thousand people. I am not sure its true or not though.

Its no wonder the people operating the X-RAY machines have to wear leaded clothing!

I never trust microwaves although they are supposed to save because of the meshed front. I would like to get a metre and measure every applience and see what radiation it gives off.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, some silly people might get scared by this and then leave! That won't be goos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    Hey, some silly people might get scared by this and then leave! That won't be goos!
    You lose more newbies that way. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mittow)
    i actually got scared the first time reading it!
    you shouldn't be scared. it's just stupid, you might get cancer by spending a lot of time on the computer but why would it be more dangerous to be on ukl compared to another site? during the same amount of time

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.