Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, having trouble with this if anyone can help this is an assay to work out the concentration of atenolol in tablets:

"Powder 20 tablets. Transfer the powder to a 500 mL flask using 300 mL of methanol, heat the resulting suspension to 60° and shake for 15 minutes. Cool, dilute to 500 mL with methanol, filter through a fine glass micro-fibre filter paper (Whatman GF/C is suitable) and dilute a suitable volume of the filtrate with sufficientmethanol to produce a solution containing 0.01% w/v of Atenolol. Measure the absorbance of the resulting solution at the maximum at 275 nm, Appendix II B. Calculate the content of C14H22N2O3 taking 53.7 as the value of A(1%, 1 cm) at the maximum at 275 nm"

How do I work out what the "suitable volume" is to produce a solution containing 0/01% w/v?Also what will the final volume be?

Thank you for any help and/ explanation!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AboutThatLife93)
    Hi, having trouble with this if anyone can help this is an assay to work out the concentration of atenolol in tablets:

"Powder 20 tablets. Transfer the powder to a 500 mL flask using 300 mL of methanol, heat the resulting suspension to 60° and shake for 15 minutes. Cool, dilute to 500 mL with methanol, filter through a fine glass micro-fibre filter paper (Whatman GF/C is suitable) and dilute a suitable volume of the filtrate with sufficientmethanol to produce a solution containing 0.01% w/v of Atenolol. Measure the absorbance of the resulting solution at the maximum at 275 nm, Appendix II B. Calculate the content of C14H22N2O3 taking 53.7 as the value of A(1%, 1 cm) at the maximum at 275 nm"

How do I work out what the "suitable volume" is to produce a solution containing 0/01% w/v?Also what will the final volume be?

Thank you for any help and/ explanation!
    The answer is inaccessible without the mass of atenolol in a tablet ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    The answer is inaccessible without the mass of atenolol in a tablet ...
    Ahh sorry I forgot to add that...25mg!
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by AboutThatLife93)
    Ahh sorry I forgot to add that...25mg!
    20 tabs = 500mg

The solution you make in the instructions has a volume of 500 ml

Hence 1 mg/ml = 1g/L

this corresponds to a 0.1 % solution (1/1000)

To make a 0.01 % solution you need to do a 1:10 dilution.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.