Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I eligible for the Maintenance Loan? (Important) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm sure this question has been answered many times before, but even after some searching online I couldn't find an exact answer that'd assure me I'm eligible for the maintenance loan (even my teachers couldn't help me).

I was born in Poland and lived there till August of 2007 when me, my sister and mother moved to London (where I live to this day).

My dad lived and worked here for a few years before that.

I still have a full Polish nationality (a polish passport).

The gov.uk website states under 'Maintenance Loan for living costs that "EU students can't apply." but I've read somewhere that they do if they lived in the UK for at least 3 years prior to starting the course (I'm applying to go uni next year).

Would I be able to receive the maintenance loan?
    If so, what thing do I need to select on the UCAS application form to ensure I receive it?

There's a few sections I'm, not sure about:

- Residential category (UK Citizen- England?)
    - Fee code (02?)

Thanks for advance for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BartekSoltys)
    Hello,

I'm sure this question has been answered many times before, but even after some searching online I couldn't find an exact answer that'd assure me I'm eligible for the maintenance loan (even my teachers couldn't help me).

I was born in Poland and lived there till August of 2007 when me, my sister and mother moved to London (where I live to this day).

My dad lived and worked here for a few years before that.

I still have a full Polish nationality (a polish passport).

The gov.uk website states under 'Maintenance Loan for living costs that "EU students can't apply." but I've read somewhere that they do if they lived in the UK for at least 3 years prior to starting the course (I'm applying to go uni next year).

Would I be able to receive the maintenance loan?
    If so, what thing do I need to select on the UCAS application form to ensure I receive it?

There's a few sections I'm, not sure about:

- Residential category (UK Citizen- England?)
    - Fee code (02?)

Thanks for advance for your help.
    You have to have been here for 3 years or more for reasons other than receiving an education. So if you came here because your parents came to work here for example. You need to be able to provide evidence that you've lived in the UK for those three years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    You have to have been here for 3 years or more for reasons other than receiving an education. So if you came here because your parents came to work here for example. You need to be able to provide evidence that you've lived in the UK for those three years.
    Thanks for the quick answer!That's exactly what happened so it means I should be fine to receive the loan So when applying I'll have to do it through Student Finance England (https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-...t-finance)?And the options on the UCAS form I've selected are correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BartekSoltys)
    Thanks for the quick answer!That's exactly what happened so it means I should be fine to receive the loan So when applying I'll have to do it through Student Finance England (https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-...t-finance)?And the options on the UCAS form I've selected are correct?
    If you currently live in England then yes you apply through Student Finance England. Not sure about the fee code option though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    If you currently live in England then yes you apply through Student Finance England. Not sure about the fee code option though.
    Alright, thanks for your help

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.