Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I was just wondering as to what exactly is the policy of UCAS concerning private candidate exam results?

My question, in short, would be: do I have to state each and every exam I have ever sat, no matter whether it's as a private candidate or not? Would I be allowed to omit certain grades that would disadvantage me?

Some extra background information, if needed:

I have achieved 3 As and 2 Cs including General Studies on my AS levels the previous school year, and would need 4As including GS for the sort of universities I'd like to apply to. Economics, the main subject I would need to apply with, somehow came back as a C despite full on As on school past papers, etc.

And so I decided to sit it as a private candidate with the Cambridge International Exam Board, the results for which will come back two days before the UCAS deadline. I am very confident I did far better than needed for an A, but so was I on the exam on which I got a C... In the case that I somehow, once again, fail in getting an A, that would disadvantage me hugely when being considered for universities, no matter what my references/work experience as an assistant economist might say, as they'd think I failed a second time too. And so, if that somehow once again happens, I would be forced to add it into my application as well, right?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You include all grades. It doesn't matter if they were sat in school, as a private candidate, or by candlelight during a full moon.

ReputationRep:
    it's fraud to omit grades. Saying that you self-studied can show commitment to a subject beyond the syllabus and universities may look slightly more leniently on a self-studied subject - but perhaps not when you have studied it previously.

Get caught omitting grades and the university can withdraw any offer it has made.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.