The Student Room Group

School A Levels + a Private Candidate Exam

Hello!

I was just wondering as to what exactly is the policy of UCAS concerning private candidate exam results?

My question, in short, would be: do I have to state each and every exam I have ever sat, no matter whether it's as a private candidate or not? Would I be allowed to omit certain grades that would disadvantage me?

Some extra background information, if needed:

I have achieved 3 As and 2 Cs including General Studies on my AS levels the previous school year, and would need 4As including GS for the sort of universities I'd like to apply to. Economics, the main subject I would need to apply with, somehow came back as a C despite full on As on school past papers, etc.

And so I decided to sit it as a private candidate with the Cambridge International Exam Board, the results for which will come back two days before the UCAS deadline. I am very confident I did far better than needed for an A, but so was I on the exam on which I got a C... In the case that I somehow, once again, fail in getting an A, that would disadvantage me hugely when being considered for universities, no matter what my references/work experience as an assistant economist might say, as they'd think I failed a second time too. And so, if that somehow once again happens, I would be forced to add it into my application as well, right?
Reply 1
You include all grades. It doesn't matter if they were sat in school, as a private candidate, or by candlelight during a full moon.
it's fraud to omit grades. Saying that you self-studied can show commitment to a subject beyond the syllabus and universities may look slightly more leniently on a self-studied subject - but perhaps not when you have studied it previously.

Get caught omitting grades and the university can withdraw any offer it has made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending