Turn on thread page Beta

Art Foundation Course - Unsure of path to take. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Art foundation courses are really for building up a portfolio of work, improving your abilities and introducing you to new disciplines (after all, most schools don't have the facilities to teach metal work or ceramics). You don't get student loans/grants for a foundation course so I would advise you to stay in London and live at home.

I don't know if it would be useful or if you need to do one, ask the admission tutors for the degree you want to do.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by kayemma)
    Im
    Hi Kayemma,

Snufkin is correct, an art foundation can be used to build up a portfolio of work, improve on skills you already have and also learn new ones! It is a great way for you to experiment and get a taste of what pathway you would like to go into.

I am currently a third year student at Ravensbourne, like you I was unsure of what I wanted to do after my A levels, but I knew I was interested in the creative arts. Having little knowledge about different types of art, it can be scary to decide what discipline you are interested in, personally for me I also had a fine art background and schools did not advertise the range of paths available in the creative industry. As I was so unsure, I was recommended to do the foundation course. This was a great way for me to get a feel for each separate pathway, as well as this I was able to make some friends, get to know the building and generally I found it was a very nice way to ease myself into the school.

Throughout a foundation course, you will begin to build a body of work, and as you progress on they will begin to focus your mind towards an area of study you like the most. In terms of finance, student finance does not provide any loans or grants are whilst doing the foundation course, however the course itself is free if you are under the age of 19.

I now study animation, a few years back I would not have even considered the idea. Without having completed the foundation I would not be where I am today, so I strongly recommend a foundation course if you are unsure as it gives you some freedom to build upon your work but also yourself and what you would like.

If you are interested you can take a look at how foundation courses can be structured down below.
    Click for Links
    There are various choices catered towards different areas that you may be interested in.

Hope this helps!
    Jay

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.