Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

french writing controlled exam 40 words watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So, I am doing my aqua french writing controlled assessment, and you are allowed to take in 40 words on a piece of paper to help you remember your answers. i have remembered the first 3 questions perfectly however i am struggling with the 4th. if i use my 4o words to write down the beginning of my paragraph in order, will the exam board have any issues with this?? thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meowzee)
    So, I am doing my aqua french writing controlled assessment, and you are allowed to take in 40 words on a piece of paper to help you remember your answers. i have remembered the first 3 questions perfectly however i am struggling with the 4th. if i use my 4o words to write down the beginning of my paragraph in order, will the exam board have any issues with this?? thanks in advance.
    Hi, I did my French GCSE in 2013, and unless something has changed since then I think the words can't form a sentence :/ Also bare in mind that you can't use conjugated verbs.
    I would maybe write down a few words that help you to remember the rest of the sentence, as a sort of memory cue. Just make sure the words don't make sense as a sentence and you should be fine
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Yes,you should receive a sheet from your teacher to write your 40 words down on, but feel free to do a draft on a file page. My exam board (CEA) for French didn't give two hoots about what you put down. I basically wrote the majority of my last paragraph on the sheet so that I didn't have to learn it and they accepted it

Edit: It shouldn't really differ from AQA, but obviously if someone who did the AQA says otherwise, trust them over me

ReputationRep:
    AQA not aqua lmfao

Anyways, I got A* in both writing courseworks, lemme tell you the secret.
    Write your coursework on a piece of paper, in small writing, then put that in the middle of your dictionary.
    No one will check and it's an easy A*

ReputationRep:
    You could probably write the first few words of the sentence if it doesn't have any conjugated verbs, but I wouldn't recommend doing that as you can use those words (e.g. "le" is not a great word to put in your 40 words) for other places that you are likely to forget.
    I find it helpful to have the first word of a sentence as a prompt because I find starting sentences the hardest. Then you can add in words you've only recently learned/words with difficult spellings.

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel like you have to write it word for word. As long as you can write something close to what you origonally wrote you're fine -i.e. if in class you wrote 'Nous sommes allés' and in the real thing you forget and write 'On est allés' that doesn't matter

So as long as your 40 words express the general meaning of your paragraph it's fine

I got full marks in the AQA coursework, I'd recommend writing out your paragraph then marking it to see how close you got - the words you continuously forget/misspell use in your 40 words

You can use English words if need be

ReputationRep:
    I'm french, I can help you. What's this exam about?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.