The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't actually know if it is classified as a disability.. :ninja: Have you used that to apply for support at Uni?
Reply 2
You sure thats right?
Reply 3
Well, diabetes falls within the definition of disability under the terms of the Disability Discrimination Act. As for university, I don't see why it wouldn't be after all it could theoretically affect your learning.
Reply 4
Ethereal
Well, diabetes falls within the definition of disability under the terms of the Disability Discrimination Act. As for university, I don't see why it wouldn't be after all it could theoretically affect your learning.

But isn't diabetes simply affecting your blood sugar levels, so you have to change your eatting habitits?

Suppose its better then someone failing the dyslectic on purpose just to get extra time that they don't need.
Reply 5
Dude
But isn't diabetes simply affecting your blood sugar levels, so you have to change your eatting habitits?

Suppose its better then someone failing the dyslectic on purpose just to get extra time that they don't need.

For the purpose of the DDA it doesn't matter if it is managed by treatment the condition is still there.

With regards the practical point it is possible that an intervening event in uni timetable/life simply means you aren't as controlled as you would be if you were in a 9-5. I don't think diabetes is as cut and dried as a lot of people think.
Reply 6
Yeah, I mean if you have diabetes, you are ill. If you are ill, you can generally get essay extensions and so forth. Having any illness has an impact on your life and your performance ability, even if, as with diabetes, you can keep it more or less under control.
Dude

And regularly check your blood, and have insulin ready for when you need it... in relation to uni, maybe someone might need a minifridge to keep insulin in, or take a snack into exams or something. (Sorry, I really don't know much about it.)
Personally, I don't think diabetes SHOULD be classed as a disability - it's a disease, but no more. Added to that, it's an extremely easy one to control if you have any modicum of sense!

You're g right though, you do need a fridge (For storing more long term insulin) and you do need to take a snack into exams. Personally, I tend to make sure I'm running high when I go into exams anyway... gives you a sugar buzz and ups the performance :wink:.

If you did criminal law, you'd see that diabetes can, in certain circumstances, also amount to you being legally insane :biggrin:.
Lewisy-boy
Personally, I don't think diabetes SHOULD be classed as a disability - it's a disease, but no more. Added to that, it's an extremely easy one to control if you have any modicum of sense!

Right...so are you diabetic? I'm guessing not. I'd like to see how easy you'd find managing it then. Like Ethereal said, it definately isn't as cut and dry as people think. If you become ill, a simple cold for a diabetic isn't just that - your sugars so crazy and an admission to hospital might even be needed. Then think of a typical student lifestyle, hectic, out drinking perhaps, eratic eating shedules...not ideal for a diabetic either.

My diabetes is very uncontrolled for a number of reasons i chose not to go into here, and it has a large effect on my learning. Just, please don't make assumptions when you have no personal knowledge on what your talking about.
Reply 10
Its an illness not a disability .. my Gran had it and the Govt doesnt view it as a disability when it comes to benefits ...
We're not talking about your gran's benefits, we're talking about university.
Reply 12
Muppet I was using it as an example to say that people are not considered disabled ...

Its not a disability its an illness might not be a good one but its not a disability :smile:
But in the context of university, it is classed as a disability, as are many other illnesses.
Reply 14
It is classed as a disability for uni, and that's important (particularly if you have lecturers who wont let people eat and drink).

I had a lot of trouble with my nutrition in the first year (which had knock on effects on my studies) - if your blood sugar is low, your studying may not be all that productive.

The 'disability' category is also important if you are carrying around e.g. 'sharps'/an insulin pump. I spent the first year of my course carrying around a continuous feeding pump and syringes (different from diabetes, I know), and some of the issues raised around that were 'interesting' (even had an unknown student ask me to stop beeping in a lecture :rolleyes: :mad: ).

That said, diabetes is a continuum rather than anything else, so a lot depends on your individual circumstances.
It's tricky.. in someways I can see it but when I think that somebody with diabetes gets the same exemptions as somebody with cerebral palsy for example, I can't see how that's right.
But then yes, diabetes does affect somebody's life if it can't be controlled. tricky.. very tricky
preciousillusions
Right...so are you diabetic? I'm guessing not. I'd like to see how easy you'd find managing it then. Like Ethereal said, it definitely isn't as cut and dry as people think. If you become ill, a simple cold for a diabetic isn't just that - your sugars so crazy and an admission to hospital might even be needed. Then think of a typical student lifestyle, hectic, out drinking perhaps, eratic eating shedules...not ideal for a diabetic either.

My diabetes is very uncontrolled for a number of reasons i chose not to go into here, and it has a large effect on my learning. Just, please don't make assumptions when you have no personal knowledge on what your talking about.

Sounds a lot like my first year at uni really. :hugs:

I was in hospital 3 times whilst at uni from the effects of combining diabetes with other illnesses. When I had the flu I had to go in when it was at its worst just incase anything went wrong. When it was my depression I missed several weeks of uni and actually ended up failing because I had missed so much that I was unable to catch up without a detrimental affect on my stress levels and hence my immune system.
I don't have an immune system so totally understand where you're coming from
LeedsLad
Its an illness not a disability .. my Gran had it and the Govt doesnt view it as a disability when it comes to benefits ...

Well that's odd because it's is regarded as a disability in my case and listed on my file for DLA.

Thanks to everyone who said they understand. I guess some of the attitudes coming out in this thread really got to me.
Reply 19
Am only telling you what I remember ... :smile:

What about the people that cause diabetes themselves ...

Latest