Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lump in my foot - getting biopsied next week watch

Announcements

Just wondering if anyone had anything like this before, or knows someone that did.

I've had now for the last 2-3 months a lump just at the end of my toes in the foot (kinda between two toes), nothing visual but when I walk it tends to roll on steps and make a clicky feeling. Within a few days of noticing it I went to my GP, had an ultrasound, then got referred to an orthopedic surgeon where I had an MRI and a further referral to another orthopedic surgeon who specializes soft tissue tumors. After another MRI with contrast he recommended getting it biopsied (removing the whole thing with along with surrounding healthy tissue) but didn't say what he thinks it is. Basically there's a 1-2cm soft tissue mass between my second and third toe and its got something to do with the tendon sheath as well.

Basically I'm just worried that as the doctor is being kinda cryptic (not giving an indication of what it is while mentioning that he can't rule out anything 'sinister'). I even directly asked him last time I saw him what he thinks/would guess it is and he said he can't say without a biopsy, even though he must have some sort of idea. The obvious scary thing is cancer and a really nasty type as soft-tissue sarcomas have a horrific prognosis/recurrence rate but there's plenty of benign things it could be plus it hasn't seemed to change in size at all.

I'm having the biopsy this week and hopefully I'll get some closure soon. Has anyone here had anything like this before?

(sorry for anon but its kinda personal)

ReputationRep:
    these docs always act like this, and don't really know much when it comes to these kinda things. so don't panic, its likely nothing serious at all.

take it easy.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors are bound by ethical codes to always tell you what it is if they know. If the doctor knew it was cancer or highly expected it to be then they have to tell you, even if it'll upset you! Feel your lymph nodes under your arm pits, if you cant feel any swelling then you are probably fine.. just breathe and it'll be okay

(Original post by Hevachan)
    Doctors are bound by ethical codes to always tell you what it is if they know. If the doctor knew it was cancer or highly expected it to be then they have to tell you, even if it'll upset you! Feel your lymph nodes under your arm pits, if you cant feel any swelling then you are probably fine.. just breathe and it'll be okay
    Thanks, I didn't know that and its good to know.

As far as I know no lymph nodes are swollen but as far as I know soft tissue sarcomas normally don't involve them much. To make things worse I've had a nasty chesty cough for over the last week - but I've put that down to the time of the year and flu and such. I'm not too worried about cancer as the probability is really low - but if it is the prognosis for so many sarcomas is horrific even if found early on.

I know I'm looking into it way to much and getting all anxious about it, but it doesn't help that the procedure code for the biopsy maps to 'Radical clearance of sarcoma of trunk or limbs'. I assume its because he's needs to treat it as though its the worst just in case it is.

Should know within the week what it is - but I'll make sure to chat to the surgeon post-op about what the tumor looked like, if its grown since the scans and try to gauge if he thinks its anything nasty.

ReputationRep:
    What an idiotic statement to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    What an idiotic statement to make.
    Your comment has changed my whole perspective on life

ReputationRep:
    Your comment has changed my whole perspective on life
    Be light-hearted all you wish, providing medical advice like that with confidence when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about is monumentally stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, I didn't know that and its good to know.

As far as I know no lymph nodes are swollen but as far as I know soft tissue sarcomas normally don't involve them much. To make things worse I've had a nasty chesty cough for over the last week - but I've put that down to the time of the year and flu and such. I'm not too worried about cancer as the probability is really low - but if it is the prognosis for so many sarcomas is horrific even if found early on.

I know I'm looking into it way to much and getting all anxious about it, but it doesn't help that the procedure code for the biopsy maps to 'Radical clearance of sarcoma of trunk or limbs'. I assume its because he's needs to treat it as though its the worst just in case it is.

Should know within the week what it is - but I'll make sure to chat to the surgeon post-op about what the tumor looked like, if its grown since the scans and try to gauge if he thinks its anything nasty.
    Well don't be afraid to phone up your doctors sugert and tell them you're concerned about the name OK f the procedure and need more information you have to be informed in order to consent so they shouldn't be able to deny it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    Be light-hearted all you wish, providing medical advice like that with confidence when you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about is monumentally stupid.
    Okay.. feel better now?

Minor update:

Surgery had to be cancelled, sucked as it was just an hour or two away (kinda my fault - I haven't taking my levythryoxine and when the anesthetist heard he was like nope). My levels were checked and are fine though so I'm going to try tor rebook the biospy asap.

Kinda worried as in the last week my foot has started to hurt more around it. Not much I can do but just wait and hope/assume its nothing major, though I"m probably one of the least patient people around.

Still worried about it a bit, surgery is next week and I'm having another MRI before to check if its changed.

I recently got a copy of the previous MRI report which doesn't say much (that I understand) apart from it ruling out another benign possibility, the diagnosis was nature unknown.

It just seems like things are going really slow, anyone else ever had anything similar?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2015
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.