Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

fast metabolism - how to gain weight? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the tips i find online haven't made a difference. anyone else find it difficult gaining weight?
    I could eat a big mac with a L milkshake + cheeseburger and fries and wouldn't gain a lot of weight.

ReputationRep:
    You need to use a trusted iifym calculator (there's 3 Main ones) and it will give you your TDEE which is the Cals you need to maintain weight. Add 500 to this number and eat that number everyday then you'll gain 1lb a week as 7x500=3500cals =1lb.

It's all about Calories in vs out

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same
    My dietition says eat more meals per day and exercise (he wants me to gain 12kg :eek:

ReputationRep:
    a tablespoon of sunflower oil will slow down your metabolism

ReputationRep:
    Just eat twice as much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    You need to use a trusted iifym calculator (there's 3 Main ones) and it will give you your TDEE which is the Cals you need to maintain weight. Add 500 to this number and eat that number everyday then you'll gain 1lb a week as 7x500=3500cals =1lb.

It's all about Calories in vs out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I'll look into that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome Genius)
    Just eat twice as much
    Mate I eat all the time. I eat a lot. I'm not a fussy eater tbh

ReputationRep:
    Liquid calories so lots of chocolate drinks, soda (if you don't care about healthy food) and sugary drinks.
    Also calorie dense foods like nuts are easy to mindlessly snack on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Same
    My dietition says eat more meals per day and exercise (he wants me to gain 12kg :eek:
    The eating part should be no problem. I used to do yoga/dance.. i feel like if i exercise I'm just encouraging my metoblism to work faster. losing more weight naah.
    but i heard it slows down with age so yaay

ReputationRep:
    eat more. move less
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    There's no such thing as a fast metabolism for 99% of people.

use the TDEE calculator on iifym.com and then eat 500 more calories than that figure. If you haven't gained ~2lb after a fortnight - increase your calories by a further 200 calories. Rinse and repeat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    Liquid calories so lots of chocolate drinks, soda (if you don't care about healthy food) and sugary drinks.
    Also calorie dense foods like nuts are easy to mindlessly snack on.
    When will you understand....

It's really not about what you eat. It's about
    calories. Look at what Proxenus and Angry cucumber have written. Both fixated on calories without mentioning any specific foods.

But op, if you want to gain lots of weight/fat quickly...three scoops of your favourite 'mass gainer' with several hundred ml of whole fat milk. Twice a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    When will you understand....

It's really not about what you eat. It's about
    calories. Look at what Proxenus and Angry cucumber have written. Both fixated on calories without mentioning any specific foods.

But op, if you want to gain lots of weight/fat quickly...three scoops of your favourite 'mass gainer' with several hundred ml of whole fat milk. Twice a day.
    Except shes also exactly right. Whilst Cucumber and Proxenus have pointed out that the OP just needs to eat more calories, Eva has gone on to suggest the easiest ways for someone who struggles to eat a lot are to eat sugary and calorie dense foods and to consume a lot of liquid calories, as those often barely register for most people as having eaten anything despite giving potentially a lot of calories...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Except shes also exactly right. Whilst Cucumber and Proxenus have pointed out that the OP just needs to eat more calories, Eva has gone on to suggest the easiest ways for someone who struggles to eat a lot are to eat sugary and calorie dense foods and to consume a lot of liquid calories, as those often barely register for most people as having eaten anything despite giving potentially a lot of calories...
    Yes, mine and Eva's discussion comes from another thread.

The point I am making is that if those liquid calories are not contributing towards a calorie surplus, then you won't gain weight. Cucumber and Proxenus didn't just merely state you need to eat more. There is a calculation involved. It's not about eating 'more', It's eating 'more' than you burn.

I also recommended liquid calories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Yes, mine and Eva's discussion comes from another thread.

The point I am making is that if those liquid calories are not contributing towards a calorie surplus, then you won't gain weight. Cucumber and Proxenus didn't just merely state you need to eat more. There is a calculation involved. It's not about eating 'more', It's eating 'more' than you burn.

I also recommended liquid calories.
    Okay thats strictly true if you want to be pedantic on the whole eating more thing, but I think anyone would have understood it was keep eating 'more' until you start gaining weight, but you're right anyone with a brain would just chuck their stats into a TDEE calculator to get to a ballpark figure much quicker than trial and error.

Also you did indeed recommend liquid calories, but by judging from the OPs username, she's female and by her post has little idea how anything fitness related works so recommending her "three scoops of her favourite 'mass gainer" isn't very helpful as she probably doesn't even know what a mass gainer is let alone have a favorite one! Obviously the milk helps but isn't even close to the bulk of the calories from your suggestion.

In short, we are in agreement- I just thought you attacked Eva's post a little unfairly given it was actually a helpful post and didn't make any directly wrong claims. Obviously I have no idea about you guys history though...

ReputationRep:
    Good problem to have

ReputationRep:
    lol u know what made me gain weight? eating fun size chocolate bars. u can gain 2/3 pounds each week lmfao

ReputationRep:
    Eat a block of cheese with every meal. You'll be morbidly obese in no time.

On a more serious point, as others have mentioned, are you not understating how much you are eating? People are incredibly poor at counting calories, generally understating it (IIRC an American study found on average people underestimated their calorie intake by an average of 40%). It may be that you are going the other way and eating less than you think you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    Okay thats strictly true if you want to be pedantic on the whole eating more thing, but I think anyone would have understood it was keep eating 'more' until you start gaining weight, but you're right anyone with a brain would just chuck their stats into a TDEE calculator to get to a ballpark figure much quicker than trial and error.

Also you did indeed recommend liquid calories, but by judging from the OPs username, she's female and by her post has little idea how anything fitness related works so recommending her "three scoops of her favourite 'mass gainer" isn't very helpful as she probably doesn't even know what a mass gainer is let alone have a favorite one! Obviously the milk helps but isn't even close to the bulk of the calories from your suggestion.

In short, we are in agreement- I just thought you attacked Eva's post a little unfairly given it was actually a helpful post and didn't make any directly wrong claims. Obviously I have no idea about you guys history though...
    It's far from pedantic, it's the most important factor that is almost entirely ignored when it comes to weight loss/weight gain. If you were to post a thread "Training hard but not gaining any muscle!" Universally the first question would be "Are you eating in a surplus".

For self-proclaimed 'hardgainers'/high metabolism individuals, saying "eat more" will warrant a response "I already eat loads!", which has already been demonstrated in this thread.

A mass gainer is fairly obvious what it is. She might not know about TDEE or anything of that nature, but a simple google can help resolve queries like this.

I'm not attacking her, just friendly discussion.

EDIT:

Also, to gain weight healthily and sensibly, calculators like iifym are excellent. Just eating a 3000 kcal surplus isn't a good idea, but it will work. (I don't care what you Starting Strength Monkeys think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Eat a block of cheese with every meal. You'll be morbidly obese in no time.

On a more serious point, as others have mentioned, are you not understating how much you are eating? People are incredibly poor at counting calories, generally understating it (IIRC an American study found on average people underestimated their calorie intake by an average of 40%). It may be that you are going the other way and eating less than you think you are.
    I've only just noticed your edit. OP will have a heart attack before she is morbidly obese lol.

but your edit is spot on

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.