Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Migraines and work watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Suffered with migraines now since I was about 16 but only ever used to get them once or twice a year max. Recently since moving to a different position at work I've been getting them every 2-3 months and after doing so much research I'm 90% sure mine come down to stress/anxiety. Almost all of them have come on at work so I've had to leave early.

However, I had one come on Friday so left work an hour 1/2 early and eventually managed to sleep it off. Friday evening and yesterday I felt fine and was happy and relieved that that should have been that - atleast for a while! Anyway, turns out I was wrong. Woke up this morning and within 15 minutes my usual symptoms started kicking in again, low and behold another migraine attack - not as bad though. Still had to sleep it off. Thankfully now I feel fine although I've had to call up work tonight and book off! (I work shifts). Going to call doctors first thing in the morning and try and sort this out once and for all. I've never had 2 come in quick succession like that so I'm very worried.

Anybody else ever had trouble with migraines and work? I've tried riding it out at work too many times before including Friday's attack, but for me, it's impossible. My body tries to shut down and the only thing I can do is sleep it off to make me feel better.
    Will working 3 shifts play an impact on my migraines aswell as the stress/anxiety I consider is the main cause of them? I don't want to come away from the doctors tomorrow with no answer - even it means me writing loads of notes down so I make sure I can tell them everything! They are ruining my bloody life!

____

I know some people get them so much worse than me, but my symptoms:

Get an aura for 15-30 minutes
    15-30 minutes feel fine
    Headache of hell comes on, more so on one side of the head.
    The whole thing (if I can rest it off) lasts usually between 4-6 hours then leaves me with a sore head for around a day after.
    Anything I eat/drink during this time will come straight back up! I try my best to take the tablets with as little water as possible, but generally I have the definition of nausea.
    Joints will go weak and my body in general will just lose energy. Won't feel myself - you know how it is!

__

ReputationRep:
    have you ever considered acupuncture? what area do you live (roughly, maybe I can tell you a good acupuncturist to go to)?

I know one near london, and can def help you with that - as this is not always easy to fix by some advice online, some people suffer their whole lives and leave it..until its very bad, which is not something i would recommend doing.

ReputationRep:
    Same here, just try and deal with it as best you can. I try and continue with what I'm doing until it becomes too much or I cant see anything!

ReputationRep:
    As this is not always easy to fix by some advice online, some people suffer their whole lives and leave it..until its very bad, which is not something i would recommend doing.

ReputationRep:
    if its due to anxiety, then doing exercises that make you very breathless for 3 times a week will help you a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatsthespirit)
    Suffered with migraines now since I was about 16 but only ever used to get them once or twice a year max. Recently since moving to a different position at work I've been getting them every 2-3 months and after doing so much research I'm 90% sure mine come down to stress/anxiety. Almost all of them have come on at work so I've had to leave early.

However, I had one come on Friday so left work an hour 1/2 early and eventually managed to sleep it off. Friday evening and yesterday I felt fine and was happy and relieved that that should have been that - atleast for a while! Anyway, turns out I was wrong. Woke up this morning and within 15 minutes my usual symptoms started kicking in again, low and behold another migraine attack - not as bad though. Still had to sleep it off. Thankfully now I feel fine although I've had to call up work tonight and book off! (I work shifts). Going to call doctors first thing in the morning and try and sort this out once and for all. I've never had 2 come in quick succession like that so I'm very worried.

Anybody else ever had trouble with migraines and work? I've tried riding it out at work too many times before including Friday's attack, but for me, it's impossible. My body tries to shut down and the only thing I can do is sleep it off to make me feel better.
    Will working 3 shifts play an impact on my migraines aswell as the stress/anxiety I consider is the main cause of them? I don't want to come away from the doctors tomorrow with no answer - even it means me writing loads of notes down so I make sure I can tell them everything! They are ruining my bloody life!

____

I know some people get them so much worse than me, but my symptoms:

Get an aura for 15-30 minutes
    15-30 minutes feel fine
    Headache of hell comes on, more so on one side of the head.
    The whole thing (if I can rest it off) lasts usually between 4-6 hours then leaves me with a sore head for around a day after.
    Anything I eat/drink during this time will come straight back up! I try my best to take the tablets with as little water as possible, but generally I have the definition of nausea.
    Joints will go weak and my body in general will just lose energy. Won't feel myself - you know how it is!

__
    I get migraines. Went to the doctor and got put on a drug called amitriptiline. Magic pills. 1-2 weeks later, and I got no more migraines! I don't get any side effects on them either.

Worth going to your doctor as there are tablets that help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Katty3)
    I get migraines. Went to the doctor and got put on a drug called amitriptiline. Magic pills. 1-2 weeks later, and I got no more migraines! I don't get any side effects on them either.

Worth going to your doctor as there are tablets that help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All I wanted to do was sleep on that. I'm now on Topamax which helps. Still need other stuff though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    All I wanted to do was sleep on that. I'm now on Topamax which helps. Still need other stuff though.
    Sorry to hear that! I've also been on pizotifen it worked, but also made me sleepy, but apparently this is a relatively uncommon side effect.

Worth trying anyway! Ibuprofen lysine (marketed as period pain relief usually) is a really good reliever medicine. I take it when I get my first symptoms to head it off before it gets started.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys, ended up getting a sick note from the doctor for 2 weeks! She signed it off as migraine but I really wish she'd put it down as stress because that's why I'm getting them. Also, the only painkillers she prescribed were over the counter co codamol (which I thought was only available on prescription)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I was advised not to take co codamol because they're addictive and can make it worse. I currently have to take medication everyday and now have to take other stuff when they come on.

ReputationRep:
    I remember my ex was on co codamol and telling me she felt like she was getting addicted to them. How bad do you get them and what is your trigger?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    My triggers seem to be too much noise and light. (I'm both phonophobic and photophobic) They're usually severe enough that the only thing that works for me is sleep. I had one yesterday and the previous day. Not too sure what happened yesterday; but the previous day it was the fire alarm.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.