Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is intelligence part of genetics or you have to work for it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Or a combo of both?

ReputationRep:
    Genetics play a part but it's that extra bit of handwork you put that gets you to the top position IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06sulraj)
    Or a combo of both?
    Hmm, another discussion about intelligence?You need to have a definition of intelligence in mind to know whether it would develop b training the mind.

To suggest an answer to your question I would say both. A new born baby has "unconscious" intelligence. They will cry when they are hungry ect.... But I admit that intelligence has its foremost growth in childhood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Hmm, another discussion about intelligence?You need to have a definition of intelligence in mind to know whether it would develop b training the mind.

To suggest an answer to your question I would say both. A new born baby has "unconscious" intelligence. They will cry when they are hungry ect.... But I admit that intelligence has its foremost growth in childhood.
    I am starting to realise that I am vague and I don't explain things.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting to realise that I am vague and I don't explain things.
    What do you exactly mean by that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    What do you exactly mean by that?
    People ask me to define certain things and I always assume they would know what I am talking about.

ReputationRep:
    People ask me to define certain things and I always assume they would know what I am talking about.
    That's not your fault. Certainly people know what you are talking about but being specific is important. Everyone has different view of intelligence. For me intelligence is not what I described in my previous post and I have a very different understanding about it. In other words, I have my own understanding of intelligence and I don't take notice of the general opinion. It's a bit complicated for me to describe it here at this time at night. That's why you should have your own feeling of intelligence, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Take me for example when I was younger I was as bright as a pitch dark room.

But now that I am older I am still as dumb as a dodo bird, but when I put my mind to something I always succeed, I just apply myself and it happens, but otherwise I could not tell the difference between left and right. :/

ReputationRep:
    I believe 'Intelligence genetics' do exist - they simply give you a 'head start', however i believe its the work you put in that will make the difference.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that I think intelligence is partly heritable. People from families with higher IQs tend to breed children with higher IQs, even after you control for environmental factors.

However, it's worth noting that environment and education can improve IQ by quite a bit, so as long as you're determined, you can make up for what your parents didn't give you through genetics.

I suspect that character is also partly heritable, especially in certain core ways like having a bad temper. It's hard to see it, though, because environment modifies the way those traits are expressed. For instance, the behaviour of Hippie children when contrasted with that of World War II veterans. They seem to have a totally different character, but it's worth remembering that the environments they were raised in were also different. The Hippie generation was usually much more affluent and took a lot of things for granted. That doesn't bring out the same traits as threats and poverty, even if their intelligence and temperament are otherwise similar.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.