Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Next gen consoles owners some advice please.... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all

i know this topic may have come up a million times but hear me out....please.

i the other day bought the Xbox one bundle with Fifa 16 as I wanted to own a next gen console. I have previously had playstation's but went for the xbox this time as I just wanted to try something different.

The games I play are mostly the generic ones that are available on both consoles such as Fifa, GTA, Call of Duty etc...but having read some threads on here I am worried I made the wrong choice....

I am reading how the PS4 has better graphics, will be the better console in the long term and the xbox one basically isn't really a match for it.

Do you think I should take the xbox one back and trade it for a PS4? I am still within the 30 day period where I can return it for a swap or something or am I being silly? I know you may say you should have thought about this before you purchased the xbox one....but i didn't really put that much thought in to it.

ReputationRep:
    Well how are you finding the Xbox?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Hello all

i know this topic may have come up a million times but hear me out....please.

i the other day bought the Xbox one bundle with Fifa 16 as I wanted to own a next gen console. I have previously had playstation's but went for the xbox this time as I just wanted to try something different.

The games I play are mostly the generic ones that are available on both consoles such as Fifa, GTA, Call of Duty etc...but having read some threads on here I am worried I made the wrong choice....

I am reading how the PS4 has better graphics, will be the better console in the long term and the xbox one basically isn't really a match for it.

Do you think I should take the xbox one back and trade it for a PS4? I am still within the 30 day period where I can return it for a swap or something or am I being silly? I know you may say you should have thought about this before you purchased the xbox one....but i didn't really put that much thought in to it.
    Graphically the PS4 is more powerful, but it's not the biggest factor I would make the choice based on. Do you have friends that you want to play online multiplayer with? If so, choose the console which they play on. If not, take a look at each console's list of big version exclusives. Do you see any games you really want to play? If so, choose the system that has those games. If neither of those criteria help you make your choice, only then would I start looking at the actual consoles. The big advantages of the PS4 are that it's more powerful and developers will be able to progressively make use of the extra power the system has as the console gen progresses, as well as giving away a fairly decent selection of games to PS+ members, while the Xbox One has a more robust set of multimedia features and a superior system for motion gaming via Kinect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Graphically the PS4 is more powerful, but it's not the biggest factor I would make the choice based on. Do you have friends that you want to play online multiplayer with? If so, choose the console which they play on. If not, take a look at each console's list of big version exclusives. Do you see any games you really want to play? If so, choose the system that has those games. If neither of those criteria help you make your choice, only then would I start looking at the actual consoles. The big advantages of the PS4 are that it's more powerful and developers will be able to progressively make use of the extra power the system has as the console gen progresses, as well as giving away a fairly decent selection of games to PS+ members, while the Xbox One has a more robust set of multimedia features and a superior system for motion gaming via Kinect.
    The OP has already purchased the Xbox one. He or she she is deciding whether to return it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Going on both id say the PS4 is better this time around. Its cheaper and more powerful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    The OP has already purchased the Xbox one. He or she she is deciding whether to return it
    I know, but they're considering returning it in favour of a PS4. I was providing the rationale I would use so they can decide whether to keep the Xbox or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Going on both id say the PS4 is better this time around. Its cheaper and more powerful.
    Yeah the op should return it then

Will they even allow you to swap when you've opened it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    i see
    thanks for that!
    Might return it tbh!

ReputationRep:
    It is a hard choice and I went with the xbox in the end.....but if you want the PS4 then go for it

ReputationRep:
    did you decide then?

ReputationRep:
    The only real choice is between which games you want to play, though currently there aren't many big exclusives at the moment.

Another factor might be what your friends have, either so you can play online with them (for a fee) or so you can borrow their games.

But you've probably already considered these. From what you've said, it doesn't matter which console you have really. You can't tell the difference between the two graphically (unless arguably you stare at two screenshots from both consoles side by side, but even then it might be a placebo effect, and in real life you'll only be playing one version, and it's going to be moving. So impossible to compare and notice a difference).

If you find yourself wanting a PS4 for a game, you can always sell the Xbox. But by then you could buy it for a low price pre-owned anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    PlayStation vr though...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.