Did Morrisey have the right to say this? Watch

This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
In a concert last week in Dublin he announced Reagan had died, he paused and then said "but it should have been Bush"

He has caused out cry with the americans with his comments cuasing the Manchester Evening News website to nearly crash.

*Poll coming*

The poll didn't work
SEX KITTEN
Report 14 years ago
yes he did have the right. it's funny
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeh he had the right to, it's his own political opinion.

whether he should have restrained himself is possibly more debatable.

lou xxx
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well he has every right to voice his political opinions but saying Bush should die is a little too far :rolleyes:
fishpaste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He lives in LA doesn't he? So it's not like he's a dumb foreigner making dumb comments on something he isn't informed on. Yet he does sound quite uninformed, so really it just reflects badly on him and makes him sound like a twit. Comments like those are nasty.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by lou p lou)
yeh he had the right to, it's his own political opinion.

whether he should have restrained himself is possibly more debatable.

lou xxx
Thats kind of my opinion, I mean I hate Bush and agree with Morrisey (though I don't wish Bush was dead, I just wish he wasn't a president)

Its funny how most people in the UK think Bush is a joke but the americans are very protective of him, probably because they voted for him.
SEX KITTEN
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Well he has every right to voice his political opinions but saying Bush should die is a little too far :rolleyes:
but it's obviously a joke, and most people recognise his sense of humour
Harry Potter
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Why? If somone thought Bush was responsible for thousands of deaths in the Iraq war and had the potential to kill thousands more in future wars, I don't see what would be so outrageous about them wanting one person to die, for the greater good.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Harry Potter)
Why? If somone thought Bush was responsible for thousands of deaths in the Iraq war and had the potential to kill thousands more in future wars, I don't see what would be so outrageous about them wanting one person to die, for the greater good.
but surely him stepped down form presidency would be equally effective.

lou xxx
SEX KITTEN
Report 14 years ago
but surely him stepped down form presidency would be equally effective.

lou xxx
but it wouldn't have fitted in with the JOKE. i think some people are too sensitive
iiikewldude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
In a concert last week in Dublin he announced Reagan had died, he paused and then said "but it should have been Bush"

He has caused out cry with the americans with his comments cuasing the Manchester Evening News website to nearly crash.

*Poll coming*

The poll didn't work
yes ofcourse he has the right to in the same way Jimi Hendrix had the right to play the American national anthem in whatever way he liked. Some right wing americans are complete arses, why can't they do what normal, democratically minded people do and disagree or present their own views rather than calling for peoples views to be cencored.
Shushi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
he shouldn't have said it in public, but if he doesn't care does he?!!!!
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by shushimeng)
he shouldn't have said it in public, but if he doesn't care does he?!!!!
Nope, in the Smiths Queen is Dead video it shows the burning of Buckingham Palace and the Union Jack. Which is an illegal offense. I think it was a joke but he probably did genuinly believe what he said.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SEX KITTEN)
but it wouldn't have fitted in with the JOKE. i think some people are too sensitive
but a joke between mates about something like that is slightly different to someone famous saying it on stage. and i really don't think a joke is appropriate after announcing someone's death (which is what he was doing). and i don't think morrisey meant it as a joke, i think he was making a political statement.

lou xxx
nooneknows
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He definitely had the right to...whether he should have is another question altogether.
SEX KITTEN
Report 14 years ago
but a joke between mates about something like that is slightly different to someone famous saying it on stage. and i really don't think a joke is appropriate after announcing someone's death (which is what he was doing). and i don't think morrisey meant it as a joke, i think he was making a political statement.

lou xxx
ok. i think you are right that it was inappropriate to say it. i don't know whether he said it as a joke or not, but i would have thought it was, with an underlying political statement.
Dr. Blazed
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Let's face it - Morrissey's an annoying, aging prat.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dr. Blazed)
Let's face it - Morrissey's an annoying, aging prat.
Well thats just a matter of opinion, I wouldn't say I was a fan of him as a person, but I do think he is a musical genius.
nooneknows
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Well thats just a matter of opinion, I wouldn't say I was a fan of him as a person, but I do think he is a musical genius.
Agreed! Have you got the new album? Sorry to hop topic.
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by nooneknows)
Agreed! Have you got the new album? Sorry to hop topic.
Yep I have it on limited edition double thickness 12" vinyl, it will be worth a bit one day. I think it was just the HMV in Manchester that got a few copies in, it was only £14 too which was not more than the CD.

I think the album itself is pretty good but none of his best, I am going to see him at Move next move.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1111)
79.07%
Leave (294)
20.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed