Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chemical engineering vs. biomedical engineering vs. neurosurgery watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need some help on deciding which i want to major in. im willing to take a gap year and go to uni in 2017. what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need to go to medical school for one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therecovery)
    Bump.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you want to be a doctor or an engineer?

To become a surgeon it is a long hard road with medical school only being the first step so if you're not 100% sure then I would suggest that you shouldn't become a doctor. Its 5 years medical school then 2 years foundation training then another 3ish years before you actually do your MRCS examination. Then you are officially a trainee neurosurgeon

To be a chemical engineer you tend to do 3/4 years to get your degree (most likely 4) then boom you can apply for graduate positions as a chemical engineer. There is bound to be more training you do but you still become a chemical engineer a lot quicker than a doctor of any kind

With these 3 degrees the questions isn't what should I choose, it's what career path do I want to go down, engineer or doctor? once you've answered that, the decision should be simple

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)

To become a surgeon it is a long hard road with medical school only being the first step so if you're not 100% sure then I would suggest that you shouldn't become a doctor. Its 5 years medical school then 2 years foundation training then another 3ish years before you actually do your MRCS examination. Then you are officially a trainee neurosurgeon

To be a chemical engineer you tend to do 3/4 years to get your degree (most likely 4) then boom you can apply for graduate positions as a chemical engineer. There is bound to be more training you do but you still become a chemical engineer a lot quicker than a doctor of any kind

With these 3 degrees the questions isn't what should I choose, it's what career path do I want to go down, engineer or doctor? once you've answered that, the decision should be simple
    A doctor. Ive always wanted to be one since I was a kid. Neurosurgery it is then. and thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)

You can sit your MRCS examinations from FY1 and potentially have both complete by the time you begin specialty training (if you're keen). Neurosurgery applications are at ST1 so you'll be a neurosurgery trainee straight after FY2 if you're successful in applying (though from what i've seen the SHO's spend little time in theatre - however i've only spent time in one unit so don't know if this is the norm).

To the OP: Neurosurgery training then takes a minimum of 8 years though realistically it will be longer before you get a consultant job. This is also a specialty where competition is relatively intense so you can't always guarantee that you'll progress through each step in the first instance which should be factored in. Many will also do a PhD which is potentially an extra 3 years.

If you're going to apply to medicine i'd make sure that you'd enjoy other specialties also, a lot of applicants come in wanting to do neuro/cardiac surgery however not all of them will hold onto this idea when they gain additional experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plrodham1)
    You can sit your MRCS examinations from FY1 and potentially have both complete by the time you begin specialty training (if you're keen). Neurosurgery applications are at ST1 so you'll be a neurosurgery trainee straight after FY2 if you're successful in applying (though from what i've seen the SHO's spend little time in theatre - however i've only spent time in one unit so don't know if this is the norm).

To the OP: Neurosurgery training then takes a minimum of 8 years though realistically it will be longer before you get a consultant job. This is also a specialty where competition is relatively intense so you can't always guarantee that you'll progress through each step in the first instance which should be factored in. Many will also do a PhD which is potentially an extra 3 years.

If you're going to apply to medicine i'd make sure that you'd enjoy other specialties also, a lot of applicants come in wanting to do neuro/cardiac surgery however not all of them will hold onto this idea when they gain additional experience.
    I know this isnt much, but thanks alot for the info
    For now I found my uni and my first preference is neurosurgery. But, like you said, there is a possibility of me changing. Yet, im really happy with my choice fkr now ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therecovery)
    I know this isnt much, but thanks alot for the info
    For now I found my uni and my first preference is neurosurgery. But, like you said, there is a possibility of me changing. Yet, im really happy with my choice fkr now ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's definitely not a bad thing to think about specialty now and if it helps drive you then by all means keep that in mind.

I was one of those who started med school absolutely set on cardiothoracics and whilst that is no longer what i want to do the specialty i do want to do isn't a million miles away.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.