Turn on thread page Beta

EXTREMELY frustrated watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ARRRGH.

SO.

my firm choice is most likely going to be kings war studies. but i HATE that i have to explain to every damn person on earth what i can actually do with a war studies degree. everytime i tell some relative or friend that i'll be doing war studies at kings, they go "WTF?!" or frown like i've just said something disgusting. I'm just SO frustrated that they don't understand that not everyone wants to earn **** loads of money at goldman sachs/ morgan stanley/ or whatever stupid investment bank you slave away at. there are some people round here that actually care about making a difference. none of them understand that kings offers a very good war studies course cos every single one of my asian relatives and friends (hey i'm asian too) want to slave away at some investment bank working their ass off and not getting to spend the money they earned. none of them appreciate that i have to work my ass off to get the 38 IB points (equivalent to all As) kings has offered me.

and this just pisses me off.

thanks. i just needed to rant. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    uni is a chance to study something that really interests you in depth. that's YOU, not anyone else. so don't listen to them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    ARRRGH.

SO.

my firm choice is most likely going to be kings war studies. but i HATE that i have to explain to every damn person on earth what i can actually do with a war studies degree. everytime i tell some relative or friend that i'll be doing war studies at kings, they go "WTF?!" or frown like i've just said something disgusting. I'm just SO frustrated that they don't understand that not everyone wants to earn **** loads of money at goldman sachs/ morgan stanley/ or whatever stupid investment bank you slave away at. there are some people round here that actually care about making a difference. none of them understand that kings offers a very good war studies course cos every single one of my asian relatives and friends (hey i'm asian too) want to slave away at some investment bank working their ass off and not getting to spend the money they earned. none of them appreciate that i have to work my ass off to get the 38 IB points (equivalent to all As) kings has offered me.

Well, f*ck 'em. Just follow your heart. Plus, if you become an investment banker, you'll be a very sad and miserable one, if you don't love the job..

ReputationRep:
    ARRRGH.

SO.

good on u! its ppl lik u who i have the most respect for!

ReputationRep:
    Well if you did everything your family/friends told you to you probably wouldn't become an investment banker because you would be miserable with your course and drop out/get a bad grade. Tell them that. It's your life.

ReputationRep:
    i feel exactly the same! i'm doing French and Spanish joint honours starting sept, and i get the same reaction as you just said! the thing is people don't realise how hard our courses are and how good they are really for employment.they are just ignorant, so i wouldn't worry, once you come out of uni and they see how successful you are, they'll take it all back!

ReputationRep:
    You're all right, some people are so ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    ARRRGH.

SO.

people even do it for things like geography (what im doing in sept). if ur surrounded by people who are doing medicine/vet/law/maths etc then you can get odd looks when they realise that your degree is not in the least bit vocational.

ReputationRep:
    just curious, but what job..can you get from studying war studies? i mean call me naive but the only thing i can imagine is 'sitting in a little wooden desk with a globe on it and a big shelf of history books, and once in a while some news crew or documentary team come in and ask you some questions relating to some war back in god knows when.' thats the only time ive seen people with such a degree being used. Alternatively you may work for the government and use your war expertise to devise the best way to attack another country or something, but thats far fetched.

Fine i agree that you should do what you want and what interests you, but you really have to draw the line somewhere, and consideration should be made into future circumstances such as wife, children, money, schools. Personally even if i loved war studies or art subjects (no offence) i wouldnt use them as the basis and the foundation of my future, for the pure fact that choosing a course is not 'totally' based on what you enjoy the most but what will benefit you in the longterm. In other words, the order of priorities set for choosing a course should be;

1) what course attracts the highest number of jobs upon graduation
    (e.g medicine is approximately 95%)
    2) What course will benefit you financially in the future.
    3) What course would you enjoy

The times 'what do graduates do?' shows the graduate employment rate for the popular courses and anything else is jumbled into 'other subjects' which war studies fits into, it has a 45% graduate employment rate and since it accounts for all other subjects then 'war studies' on its own would most likely have a significantly lower graduate employment rate. You see, at this stage in your life you should understand that you cant make life all 'nice and daisy' and simply choose what you enjoy and live under the simple principle of 'que sera sera (whatever will be will be).' Life's tough, my advice for you is do this degree if you really want to, but DO another degree in something a little more popular amongst employers as a 'backup plan' to fall onto.

Regarding your family and what others think about your degree, it is impossible to change peoples 'schema' regarding less popular courses. The principle of this world which most people follow is 'to compete - win - spend - die. That is the moto of life and therefore to go against this principle is bound to be looked upon with dissaproval. If the fact that you have less of a chance of getting a job, less of a chance of getting paid well, less of a chance of providing for yourself, wife and kids in the future does not bother you, then go ahead do the degree and enjoy it, peoples opinions dont matter, but in 'my' opinion, to simply disregard all these factors is foolish.
    A rubbish man wants to become a gardner as a gardner wants to become a police man as a police man wants to become a business man as a business man wants to share divinity. Thats how life works, and it is very likely that one day when life tests you, and you find yourself in a tight spot, that just as there were those who looked down at you in dissaproval, you in turn will look up at them in envy.
    To put in one of my famous quotes

'Dont dig a deep hole, build a tall mountain,
    for the rain drops are deadly in unity.'

The moral? = problems (rain drops) escalate when you put yourself in a tight situation that would be hard to get out of. A stable life is 50% stable job + 50% a stable mind.

ReputationRep:
    wow, what a well written post

ReputationRep:
    What is War Studies? Sorry to be ignorant
    I would never look down on any one else's subjects if I had never taken the course and certainly if i had never heard of it! lol

Is it anything like history?

I have to agree though, that it's important to take a subject that you enjoy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    just curious, but what job..can you get from studying war studies? i mean call me naive but the only thing i can imagine is 'sitting in a little wooden desk with a globe on it and a big shelf of history books, and once in a while some news crew or documentary team come in and ask you some questions relating to some war back in god knows when.' thats the only time ive seen people with such a degree being used. Alternatively you may work for the government and use your war expertise to devise the best way to attack another country or something, but thats far fetched.

Fine i agree that you should do what you want and what interests you, but you really have to draw the line somewhere, and consideration should be made into future circumstances such as wife, children, money, schools. Personally even if i loved war studies or art subjects (no offence) i wouldnt use them as the basis and the foundation of my future, for the pure fact that choosing a course is not 'totally' based on what you enjoy the most but what will benefit you in the longterm. In other words, the order of priorities set for choosing a course should be;

The times 'what do graduates do?' shows the graduate employment rate for the popular courses and anything else is jumbled into 'other subjects' which war studies fits into, it has a 45% graduate employment rate and since it accounts for all other subjects then 'war studies' on its own would most likely have a significantly lower graduate employment rate. You see, at this stage in your life you should understand that you cant make life all 'nice and daisy' and simply choose what you enjoy and live under the simple principle of 'que sera sera (whatever will be will be).' Life's tough, my advice for you is do this degree if you really want to, but DO another degree in something a little more popular amongst employers as a 'backup plan' to fall onto.

Regarding your family and what others think about your degree, it is impossible to change peoples 'schema' regarding less popular courses. The principle of this world which most people follow is 'to compete - win - spend - die. That is the moto of life and therefore to go against this principle is bound to be looked upon with dissaproval. If the fact that you have less of a chance of getting a job, less of a chance of getting paid well, less of a chance of providing for yourself, wife and kids in the future does not bother you, then go ahead do the degree and enjoy it, peoples opinions dont matter, but in 'my' opinion, to simply disregard all these factors is foolish.
    A rubbish man wants to become a gardner as a gardner wants to become a police man as a police man wants to become a business man as a business man wants to share divinity. Thats how life works, and it is very likely that one day when life tests you, and you find yourself in a tight spot, that just as there were those who looked down at you in dissaproval, you in turn will look up at them in envy.

The moral? = problems (rain drops) escalate when you put yourself in a tight situation that would be hard to get out of. A stable life is 50% stable job + 50% a stable mind.

LOL. I bet all the professors of the 'Arts' subjects in the country will agree with you. Have you ever heard of the profession called 'teaching'? Or do you think the whole world is full of businessmen/women? Remember you can always go into research if you love the subject so much, and you can pass your knowledge on to the next generation. And teaching is a very honorable profession and also well-paid if you try hard enough. You'll be better off than those who reluctantly study economics or sciency subjects, and show little motivation in workplaces and get fired eventually. The more educational background you have the more employable you become anyways. Some lazy *******s are aiming to get jobs right after finishing their undergraduate degrees, but in the real world, someone with an MA(or a PhD) in whateva subject is gonna be more respected than some BA babies. My cousin did BA and MA in Politics and was immediately offered a high position at the bank. I know loads of sciency students who ended up on rubbish tips. It all depends on luck I guess.

ReputationRep:
    swatfa, so are you telling me to change subjects now when i've already (almost) made up my mind?

plus, doing war studies doesnt mean you just focus on ONE thing - war. Its all about analytical and critical thinking skills. Employers DO look at that. At kings, war studies is classified under the politics department, ranked number 3 by the times. Of course, ignorant employers wont know that would they (the fact it is under the politics department). There are many jobs I could do, for example, working in a policy think tank, international security, government, defence, NGOs (eg Amnesty International, etc.).

Swatfa, I appreciate that you've highlighted many of the issues concerning this, but I just get really frustrated when ppl don't know anything bout the course and tell me that I won't be able to get a job.

P.S my ultimate aim is to get a masters degree at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, so don't tell me I'm not ambitious.

Sorry for such an angst filled post, but I really don't need another person doubting me.

ReputationRep:
    No one says "what can you actually do with a maths degree?" do they and yet if people really thought about it they probably wouldn't be able to come up with much.
    People (espetially parents and their generation) are quite ignorant. If a subject didn't exist when they were at school they just think it's nonesense.

It's your degree and your life. Mind you if you are being asked this all the time you could have a flippant answer waiting for the.

"Oh if I get a 2:1 there is a vacancy in central america for a war lord, and if not I'm going to the middle east, lost of positions for war graduates there"

BTW I just picked the two areas out of the air, not meaning to upset anyone, you could put in any 'hot' spots.

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, just one more thing i needed to share with you guys.

a few weeks ago, this girl who was going to do dramatic writing at new york university at my school asked me what i was going to do and when i replied "probably war studies at kings college london," she gave me this huge frown/disgusted look and said "ewwwwwwww" (she stretched the syllable so it sounded like she ate something gross).

Need I say more for politeness? That B****!

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, just one more thing i needed to share with you guys.

a few weeks ago, this girl who was going to do dramatic writing at new york university at my school asked me what i was going to do and when i replied "probably war studies at kings college london," she gave me this huge frown/disgusted look and said "ewwwwwwww" (she stretched the syllable so it sounded like she ate something gross).

Need I say more for politeness? That B****!

Well said, gangrene. F*** that b**** and stick to your ambition! Cheer up! Go gangrene go!

ReputationRep:
    how rude! :mad:
    i think that war studies can be quite valuable, if you think about how much the war is used as a topic in education. it is used in english a-level, history, foreign languages, government and politics, to name but a few.
    think about how valuable a degree in this would be in the future.
    also that 'times' article does not show it like it is. for example in a recent survey, it showed this:

Unemployment rates among new UK graduates (1998) in % unemployment

Medicine/Dentistry/Vet Science-0.5%
    Law-3.0%
    Education-3.3%
    German/French/Modern Languages etc.-4.2%

the survey every year has more or less the same results, my conclusion is that modern languages and education beat degrees in mathematics, sciences, computing and english and so maybe that times article is a bit biased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)

You do make some valid points but also some completely stupid ones- not everybody does a degree that will ensure them getting a top job with 100K salary at the end( i know slight exg.!) This may come as a surprise to u but some actually do a degree that they enjoy and so they may not have well paid jobs at the end but it isn't the be all and end all of life! You said of art subjects not being your thing- I'll take an example and use a degree in fine art- peoples work can sell for thousands of pounds- I saw a sculptural piece on the internet for £160,000 and im not joking!! To make a success in what you do in the future you need to put in the hard work and some ppl who do these 'lesser subjects' as you seem to think, can make a really good career- better then those who do science degrees etc. I think there is too much emphasis on do a degree, get a job, get married, have kids and die.....etc. If someone chooses to do their life different and enjoyes life even with the struggle of money gl to them and don't be put off because of what ppl will disaprove of- thats my advice. I use to bother what ppl thought of me and was going to do a Philosophy degree because it could be used in many jobs. I dropped out of UCAS in the end and now am re doing my A levels but in a BTEC ND in textiles because its what I love to do and I'll be damned if someone looks down at me because of it. Swatfa- im not having a go but personally in 'my opinion' you care too much about other ppl opinion and not much of your own. Live your own life.
    Luce

ReputationRep:
    i agree, no one can be garunteed a job at the end of a degree...
    I may have used this example before, but there was this guy who got a masters in marine science and couldn't get a job so he has started from scatch doing wood work

ReputationRep:
    gangrene, i wasnt expressing a negative remark regarding your course but simply stating the obvious which is whilst im sure that war studies has some benefits for financial security in the future that there are OTHER subjects which provide MORE of a financial guarantee. This comment applies to most degrees whether its war studies or cooking studies. Fair enough i have no idea about the course, what it envolves or what it leads to which is why i stated that i may be ignorant or 'naive' as to the true nature of the course and therefore i can only base my opinion on the name of the course and how that compares to other courses. Now ofcourse with almost any degree you gain something which is of some value to employers, be it creativity from Art or good analysing skills from Psychology, but what i was trying to say is that 'most' people will disapprove of the course, and considering that not all employers are up to date with the latest courses available and what they entail that will be of benefit to them when hiring a graduate, it is therefore more likely that they would hire someone who's degree is a little 'more' relevant to the job such as accounting for a bank etc. It's still an ignorant and naive world out there and its likely that 'most' employers will look upon the degree in the same manner and not hire you, or you may be hired by an employer who is not too bothered by the degree and may simply offer you a job based on the fact that you graduated from a fairly respected university. Whilst only a 'few' will understand the relevance of the course to the job. This is the risk that i was talking about.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.