Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    well, i DO see the risk if i'm applying for some job at some investment bank, bank, etc.

but the thing is, i don't want to do any of that, i want to do something related to international security, defence, policy think tanks, NGOS, etc. so i don't see a risk if i'm applying for jobs like these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luce20)
    You do make some valid points but also some completely stupid ones- not everybody does a degree that will ensure them getting a top job with 100K salary at the end( i know slight exg.!) This may come as a surprise to u but some actually do a degree that they enjoy and so they may not have well paid jobs at the end but it isn't the be all and end all of life! You said of art subjects not being your thing- I'll take an example and use a degree in fine art- peoples work can sell for thousands of pounds- I saw a sculptural piece on the internet for £160,000 and im not joking!! To make a success in what you do in the future you need to put in the hard work and some ppl who do these 'lesser subjects' as you seem to think, can make a really good career- better then those who do science degrees etc. I think there is too much emphasis on do a degree, get a job, get married, have kids and die.....etc. If someone chooses to do their life different and enjoyes life even with the struggle of money gl to them and don't be put off because of what ppl will disaprove of- thats my advice. I use to bother what ppl thought of me and was going to do a Philosophy degree because it could be used in many jobs. I dropped out of UCAS in the end and now am re doing my A levels but in a BTEC ND in textiles because its what I love to do and I'll be damned if someone looks down at me because of it. Swatfa- im not having a go but personally in 'my opinion' you care too much about other ppl opinion and not much of your own. Live your own life.
    Luce
    Basing your point on the fact that 'there are others who do what they enjoy regardless of money,' is completely irrelevant to my post, since i did not say that ive never heard of 'war studies' and that no-one has ever done the course before and that if she did it she would be the only one not considering money and hence would suffer. That would be plain stupid, but i did not say that. What my post was trying to say was that there is a risk involved. True, you may graduate from Cambridge with a law degree and not get a job whereas an art degree in TVU might make you rich, but i was talking about what is most 'likely' to happen. To put it simply, when you go for a less popular degree, its like playing lottery, you may end up winning big, but 'Most' of the time you only win small. When choosing a degree such as art or war studies, Luck is the predominant factor whereas with accounting or maths from a good university its not only about luck.

(Original post by luce20)
    but it isn't the be all and end all of life!
    I know that, which is why i stated that if she wishes to adopt the 'que sera sera' attitude then fine, as long as she's happy, then nothing else is important. I was simply warning her, 'incase' money and financial security was an important factor for her.

ReputationRep:
    i'm a 'she' btw

ReputationRep:
    oh, pencil queen, YOU are the guru of all things university related!
    thanks for spreading your wisdom and stopping annoying myths from spreading which adds to my extreme frustration!

anyway, i just went onto to kcl careers service and i was quite surprised when their war studies careers service website listed a graduate going for work "at an international bank as an analyst", PLUS i just found a whole bunch of UN vacancies (kcl's career service has a link)

swatfa, i'm sure you're well-intentioned, but sometimes, i wish ppl won't add to my already extreme frustration with all things university related at this point in life!

and i'm quite scared i'll be the only asian female out of the other 100 students doing the course at kings!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Swatfa - can I recommend you stop presenting yourself as the guru of the graduate employment market.

There are fewer sociology (of which war studies is a sub discipline) graduates out of work (7.7% http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...?subject_id=23 )than there are maths graduates (8.6% http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...?subject_id=17 ) and the accountants aren't that much better off (6.6% http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...?subject_id=25 )

You appear to be confusing popularity of a degree subject with 18 yr old applicants with the popularity of a degree subject with employers - while you may have experience of the former I doubt you can reliably say your views represent those of the latter. If you want to understand a little more about graduate employment instead of simply perpetuating and spreading misconceptions and myths I'd recommend a read of this site http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...11087209791906 specifically this article: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowP...tment/p!eafcbi

(Oh and gangrene consider yourself lucky - when I first started at university my course was called "environmental geoscience" )
    LOL guru
    I was just trying to help her based on my beliefs. It was just advice, if she doesnt wanna take it then thats fine. I didnt mean to come across as being knowledgeable about employers since that is certainly not my area. My intentions were of an honest nature and i was simply trying to advise her based on friends i have who did similar degrees as well as the general outlook on life by people, and in no way was i trying to spread a myth or a lie since that was not my motive.
    ''of which war studies is a sub discipline'' which is exactly a point ive been arguing about the past few pages. My argument is this sub discipline does not formulate a majority of those employed, this is not simply a hypothesis. Sociology and War studies are distinct. (The course has been "created from the ground up", not adapted from existing campus-based courses, said Anne-Lucie Norton Kings college) even Kings admits it.

('Ms Norton expects some to be graduates who have just finished a first degree, others to be working in government or bodies like aid agencies. Some will be in the military doing it to further their careers, although Ms Norton stressed it was "nothing to do with training". She said: "Students will write essays and have other assigned work. It is very reading based, an intellectual kind of course." )

Looking at the students likely to take the course, it is considered more as a second degree or 'further work.'
    Good luck gangreen with your degree.

ReputationRep:
    what degrees did your friends do, swatfa?

ReputationRep:
    i think that Anne-Lucie Norton was referring to the war studies graduate program at kings, not the undergraduate one, or else she wouldn't say that she expects some to be "working in government".....this has nothing to do with undergrad courses, just grad.

anyway, Swatfa, if you don't think I can find a well-paid and respectable job, I will prove you wrong in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin's doing war studies at King's, she hopes to join the Ministry of Defence (they do list war studies as one of the degrees they recruit from).

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    (they do list war studies as one of the degrees they recruit from).
    You would hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    You would hope so.
    LoL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    My cousin's doing war studies at King's, she hopes to join the Ministry of Defence (they do list war studies as one of the degrees they recruit from).
    i didnt say they didnt. Im sure the degree is used for something. I was talking about using it for non-military government/organisation related jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    i think that Anne-Lucie Norton was referring to the war studies graduate program at kings, not the undergraduate one, or else she wouldn't say that she expects some to be "working in government".....this has nothing to do with undergrad courses, just grad.

anyway, Swatfa, if you don't think I can find a well-paid and respectable job, I will prove you wrong in a few years time.
    Im sure you'll find a well-paid and respectable job and i wish you the best of luck. Like i said i didnt know you wanted to use the course in the fields you mentioned which 'are' relevent to the course, i have no doubt that you have a high chance of finding a job. I was merely pointing to the fact that if you use your degree to try and get a job which primarily requires a much more relevant degree (e.g Bank management - accounting) then it would be 'harder', not impossible, but 'harder.' I see no problem or disadvantage in you using your course for doing what you mentioned. If anything its interesting, especially in these times where such graduates are in great need. This is the best time to be doing what you want to do

ReputationRep:
    yea i agree that it would be harder to find a job in the banking field, for example. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant. Hopefully, someone in the future would appreciate what I'm trying to do instead of blindly doing a degree in finance or accounting or whatever and not be interested in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangrene)
    ARRRGH.

SO.

my firm choice is most likely going to be kings war studies. but i HATE that i have to explain to every damn person on earth what i can actually do with a war studies degree. everytime i tell some relative or friend that i'll be doing war studies at kings, they go "WTF?!" or frown like i've just said something disgusting. I'm just SO frustrated that they don't understand that not everyone wants to earn **** loads of money at goldman sachs/ morgan stanley/ or whatever stupid investment bank you slave away at. there are some people round here that actually care about making a difference. none of them understand that kings offers a very good war studies course cos every single one of my asian relatives and friends (hey i'm asian too) want to slave away at some investment bank working their ass off and not getting to spend the money they earned. none of them appreciate that i have to work my ass off to get the 38 IB points (equivalent to all As) kings has offered me.

and this just pisses me off.

thanks. i just needed to rant. :mad:
    wow war studies sounds really interesting. well done for going for a subject you are intereseted in rather that one which friends were doing/ you think you'll get well paid

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.