Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    The Telegraph have reporting that baiting other children using gender-based insults is now forbidden in schools.

Full story here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...nd-report.html

Insults that are being reported as banned are:

• "Man up" to people who are acting "a bit wet"
    • Calling boys "sissies"
    • Calling children or each other "cupcake"
    • Boys telling girls to "make them a sandwich"
    • Teachers saying to boys "don't be a girl".
    • Calling girls who study 'male' subjects "lesbians"
    Did you experience or see gender-based bullying or insults in school? Do think this list cuts it?

ReputationRep:
    Is this not just political correctness gone mad?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks feminism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReeceM1)
    Is this not just political correctness gone mad?
    You don't think that the quotes identified perpetuate unhelpful gender stereotypes? Or do you think it's ok to suggest that boys should show no emotion, that girls are weak and subservient, that there is such a thing as a 'male' or 'female' school subject, and indeed to encourage the use of sexual orientation as an insult? I would think school, preferably primary school, was a good time at which to discourage stereotyping and increase the opportunities available to all. Trying to avoid the use of phrases such as those above is a good step. Especially use of them by teachers, who should know better and have an important influencing role.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Ah yes, the old "It's fine to insult Joe so long as you use this "vetted and approved" insult list" ... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    What a bunch of girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    The Telegraph have reporting that baiting other children using gender-based insults is now forbidden in schools.

[/list]Did you experience or see gender-based bullying or insults in school? Do think this list cuts it?
    I agree with this ruling, because such curse or bullying or insults have very negative psychological impact on children, a lot of intensive studies out there, just search in scholar.google.com.
    It is a very damaging habit that must stop.
    Some studies show that insults can lead to crime. Because a criminal will tend to avenge from the society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    Thanks feminism.
    Why thank you. You do see this is not just to benefit girls? Mostly, but not entirely.

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous. Surely bullying and being mean are already proscribed in schools. Are there extra special sanctions for using these phrases?

The article blithely assumes that the reason boys and girls take different subjects is stereotypes. It couldn't possibly be inherent differences in interests could it?

And someone will have to explain to me what's wrong with "cupcake". Surely that's a baked good, not a sexist term?

ReputationRep:
    I think, this is a sexist term. hulle6.com

nexus 6p handyhülle

ReputationRep:
    So presumably there's a master list somewhere of everything we can't say... under Freedom of Information regulations we should be able to get a copy... then make up insults which aren't banned (yet).

I also assume it's still ok to insult people based upon their looks, weight, and hair colour?

Seriously, do any other countries manage to come up with such rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    Children are just going to find other ways to insult each other. Or worse, now that these words are "illegal", they would just be used more often, because teenagers seemingly like to rebel against anything which stands for authority.

And before anyone argues "not all teenagers are like that!" I'll state that the teenagers who use such a kind of language are in the first place precisely like that.

ReputationRep:
    "Man up" is banned

Good luck with that :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    These people really need to man up and grow a pair is it illegel to say that now i can't hear any sirens
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    People will just find their own made-up insults.

Just like we used words like "shizzle", "flippin" and "carp" to avoid the wrath of the teachers by using swear words.

ReputationRep:

[/list]Did you experience or see gender-based bullying or insults in school? Do think this list cuts it?
    I think only the last one is truly sexist... the others have been said so frequently that the expression goes in one ear and flies out the other

ReputationRep:
    breh, how do I get someone to make me a sandwich now

ReputationRep:
    I wish the sissies trying to enforce these bans would man up.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, since when was "cupcake" sexist? I always thought it just meant cute, and children are cute so...

ReputationRep:

• "Man up" to people who are acting "a bit wet"
    • Calling boys "sissies"
    • Calling children or each other "cupcake"
    • Boys telling girls to "make them a sandwich"
    • Teachers saying to boys "don't be a girl".
    • Calling girls who study 'male' subjects "lesbians"
    Hold the line. Some of these are absurd: why would you ban words like this? Children are having their freedom stripped to save their feelings. They will grow in to weak individuals. But let's go through some of these:

1. Telling someone to man up means to toughen up; absorb the blow and get back up. If this sounds like bad advice then you were mollycoddled as a child.

2. No one calls a girl a lesbian based on her profession- that is retarded. They call her a lesbian if she's butch. You know, if she looks like a rugby player and has a particularly booming voice. This is setting up such a straw man.

3. At primary school, if a teacher says this: it's typically a PE teacher and they are encouraging you. Boys should be encouraged to push their physical limits and be competitive, whilst girls only want to participate because the boys they like are there. There is little difference in saying "don't be a girl" and "man up".

Also, I've never heard anybody in real life utter the phrase "make me a sandwich". It would be so misplaced unless you were in a kitchen or restaurant- it would make you look stupid for saying it. As insults go, most children don't make their own food anymore, so again it's another straw man.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.