Turn on thread page Beta

Still having problems 22.5 hours in. HELP!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

So this is my THIRD year learning to drive. First year, I did 10 hours but cut it short because of a couple of changes in work and life, etc. Second year, did another 10 hours but again, stopped. Third year lucky. Passed my theory test, have my practical booked in for next Monday. So, I've done about 22.5 hours this year. Covered everything. Problem that I'm having is, where I'm actually quite competent at controlling the car (clutch control, hill starts, etc etc), my problem seems to be my confidence, observation and anticipation.

I can tell my instructor is getting wound up because I seem to just be just ridiculous in the amount that I want to push the gas down when I should be letting the car cruise and using observations to get stuff right. He's a good instructor but he seems to lose his rag a bit when I'm doing obvious stuff wrong which just balls up my confidence.

I do work god awful hours in a stressful job so I'm usually quite tired when it comes to learning. Did ANYONE else have this issue this late into learning? I feel like I'm over thinking obvious stuff. Please say I'm not alone. How can I help to fix this?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still taking lessons but I have a friend who has failed his test twice and its due to nerves and lack of confidence. If you find your instructor is hindering you then maybe find a different one. My friend found an instructor who only teaches those who can drive (so not from beginners) that way they can focus on the things that you might be struggling with. Good luck any way!

ReputationRep:
    I also find when i am exhausted after a hectic day at work, my lesson's are affected massively. I'm tired and i double up on caffeine before a lesson ( don't advise it though) and i get all antsy and i make errors i wouldn't normally. I asked my instructor to switch my lessons to my day off, she can accomodate this request about 80% of the time. When this is the case, my progress advances a lot faster, my instructor has noticed the difference.

In your case though, this sounds like a wrong fit to be honest. You are paying this person to instruct you,not have a ***** fit when you mess up. Everyone learns at a different pace and having someone show their irritation will make you feel flustered, and that is just horrible, i have been there (my current instructor is my third) so i strongly advise you consider looking for a new instructor.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the advice, dudes.

The guy isn't a bad teacher, he's actually quite good but I get the feeling his patience gets frayed with me because I'm making basic errors with judgement and the like. That just ends up snow balling. His annoyance washes my confidence away and it ends up spiralling to me being ****. He's excellent when I'm doing well. Fills me with confidence. We'll see. I've got a couple more lessons with him until my test. I might consider changing if he carries on losing his rag and if I fail.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.