The Student Room Group

Essay based A levels and non essay based?

Hi! I'm planning to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology for A level because I'm working towards a career in the medical field. But I also am interested in Law so I was thinking to possibly swap Psychology for a more essay based subject like History.

Would this put me at a disadvantage for the essay based subject (find it more difficult) since a majority of the A levels I chose are non-essay based?
Psychology is essay based.
Original post by algebrax1
Hi! I'm planning to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology for A level because I'm working towards a career in the medical field. But I also am interested in Law so I was thinking to possibly swap Psychology for a more essay based subject like History.

Would this put me at a disadvantage for the essay based subject (find it more difficult) since a majority of the A levels I chose are non-essay based?

Psychology is an essay-based subject.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Psychology is essay based.

Original post by OrionMusicNet
Psychology is an essay-based subject.

:rofl:
Psychology at A2 can consist of 24 mark essays.

Psychology is a social science so it is a bit of both really. I would definitely swap it for History or English Lit tho, these seem to be highly regarded as subjects for Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there are any specific subject requirements for Law?

If I were you I'd keep Psychology, as you have 3 facilitating subjects. Although if you're up for the challenge, do history instead.

Also, If you're looking at a career in either a medical field or law I'd make a choice soon as to which one you'd rather do and work to build up on the skills/complete necessary work experience placements - indecision will hold you back.
Reply 7
From my personal experience, If you haven't had much practice of writing essays/assessments yet go for at least one essay based subject as it will prepare you IMMENSELY for university which is all you basically do, write essays lol.

I studied law at A level and went on to study it at university totally pointless as when you get to university there isn't a subject out there that can 'best prepare you' for whats to come over the following 3 years. My advice is if you go to do law later on, the time now is about finding an a level that is challenging (doesn't matter if thats photography) and finding a reading/essay based a level as again it will prepare you as best as possible like doing sciences helps if you go in to the medical field!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Do yourself a favour and swap it for physics instead :wink:
Reply 9
[QUOTE=RonnieRJ;60048325]Do yourself a favour and swap it for physics instead :wink:

I'm so bad at Physics haha!:biggrin:
Reply 10
[QUOTE=OrionMusicNet;60047415]Psychology is an essay-based subject.

Yeah I should have made that a little clearer. I think History would be better to study Law :smile:
Yeah I should have made that a little clearer. I think History would be better to study Law :smile:

Law doesn't specify any particular subjects you have to do though, I believe.
Reply 12
[QUOTE=OrionMusicNet;60051037]Law doesn't specify any particular subjects you have to do though, I believe.

Yeah I've been hearing that a lot now recently.
Is Psychology A level quite respected or is it considered soft compared to History?
I'd swap for history... I did maths, biology, chemistry and history for AS. All facilitating respected subjects and it's good to have 1 essay based one to vary it up. It also leaves your opens open. You can go into the sciencey stuff (medicine, biomed, pharmacy etc..) and also law and even psychology if you wanted!
Reply 15
Original post by BubbleLover98
I'd swap for history... I did maths, biology, chemistry and history for AS. All facilitating respected subjects and it's good to have 1 essay based one to vary it up. It also leaves your opens open. You can go into the sciencey stuff (medicine, biomed, pharmacy etc..) and also law and even psychology if you wanted!

Thanks for the advice! :wink:You did 3 subjects I am definitely doing at A level! How did you find it? :smile:
I'm so bad at Physics haha!:biggrin:

If you're ok at maths you'll be fine at physics trust me :wink:
Thanks for the advice! :wink:You did 3 subjects I am definitely doing at A level! How did you find it? :smile:

I actually enjoyed them all! For biology, there is a lot to remember but if you get your head around, it is relatively easy to understand and I found it really interesting! For maths, you have to make sure you don't miss any lessons and keep up with the work by practising the questions otherwise you'll fall behind and it will be a lot of work to catch up on! (I think my fave unit was statistics) chemistry is just building up on the basics you did at GCSE and going into more depth.. Unit 2, there'll be a bit of organic chemistry.. Which tbh, I didn't enjoy as much. But you might like it! And History, again there are loads of facts to learn so revise as early as possible. But I can tell you, I found History the most interesting because we learnt about the Tudors which I'd never done before.. ( I guess it depends on which period of history you study) anyways, those are just my opinions, you might think the complete opposite haha.

Oh and btw, I actually ended up dropping chemistry for A2 (only cause I really didn't want to learn all those chemical reactions and I guess I enjoyed it the least towards the end of the year)
Reply 18
Original post by BubbleLover98
I actually enjoyed them all! For biology, there is a lot to remember but if you get your head around, it is relatively easy to understand and I found it really interesting! For maths, you have to make sure you don't miss any lessons and keep up with the work by practising the questions otherwise you'll fall behind and it will be a lot of work to catch up on! (I think my fave unit was statistics) chemistry is just building up on the basics you did at GCSE and going into more depth.. Unit 2, there'll be a bit of organic chemistry.. Which tbh, I didn't enjoy as much. But you might like it! And History, again there are loads of facts to learn so revise as early as possible. But I can tell you, I found History the most interesting because we learnt about the Tudors which I'd never done before.. ( I guess it depends on which period of history you study) anyways, those are just my opinions, you might think the complete opposite haha.

Oh and btw, I actually ended up dropping chemistry for A2 (only cause I really didn't want to learn all those chemical reactions and I guess I enjoyed it the least towards the end of the year)

Thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest