Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How important is personal statement when it comes to Accounting and Finance, Im thinking of applying to Universities such as LSE and Warwick, but I am worried my personal statement isn't good enough, as I have no accounting work experience, even though I have related other experiences to accounting.

I have already achieved AAA so just worried about my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrAli786)
    How important is personal statement when it comes to Accounting and Finance, Im thinking of applying to Universities such as LSE and Warwick, but I am worried my personal statement isn't good enough, as I have no accounting work experience, even though I have related other experiences to accounting.

I have already achieved AAA so just worried about my personal statement.
    I'm not applying for this course, so this advice might be a bit general, sorry!

The grades you've already got are very good so they'll speak for themselves; the personal statement it usually used to discriminate between the best to see who they really want to offer a place, and in the personal statement they want to see your passion for the subject(s). So make sure this comes across when you talk about why you are so interested in this area, why this course suits your personal attributes etc. The personal statement might not be super important to your course, I obviously don't know, but it's still counts to some extent, so you're best trying to make it the best it can be just in case!

As for work experience, unless the uni specifies that it is a necessity then don't worry TOO much! Just make sure you link the experiences you do have really well to how it will be useful to your course. Even if an experience doesn't link to your course in any way ie doing sport, art, whatever, just talk about the skills it gave you ie interpersonal skills, communication, confidence, adaptability, leadership etc and how they themselves will be good for your course.

As for how your personal statement is written, just get lots of people to check it over! Ask your teachers that relate to your course (ie your business teacher from last/this year, maybe maths etc) and even ask your English teacher, as they will be good for checking how well your statement flows, and if your wording makes you come across as amicably as possible.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.