Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Northumbria University - MSc International Development - Reputation? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of applying to Northumbria's International Development MSc program for the January intake. I just wanted to know how well known their program is in the UK and if it's considered good? The league tables shows them as #60, but really it just depends on the department itself.

My first choice is SOAS, but I would ideally like to start as soon as I finish my undergrad (December). I was looking into a lot of programs and they mostly start in September. Is SOAS worth the wait or is Northumbria considered just as good?

Also, if anyone knows about any good development economics or international development programs (anywhere in the UK), I would love to know about them!

Thank you in advance!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by harteaga)
    Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of applying to Northumbria's International Development MSc program for the January intake. I just wanted to know how well known their program is in the UK and if it's considered good? The league tables shows them as #60, but really it just depends on the department itself.

My first choice is SOAS, but I would ideally like to start as soon as I finish my undergrad (December). I was looking into a lot of programs and they mostly start in September. Is SOAS worth the wait or is Northumbria considered just as good?

Also, if anyone knows about any good development economics or international development programs (anywhere in the UK), I would love to know about them!

Thank you in advance!
    Hey harteaga
    I'm excited that you're interested in studying at SOAS! We were ranked 4th in the UK last year for teaching, so personally I think it'll be worth the wait.

Speaking from my own experience, I worked 5 months before starting my masters. I was way ahead the learning curve than some of my other colleagues who went straight from UG to PG. I think having a good solid foundation and knowledge in your field , or a related one (even if its for a couple of months) will not only make your application to the MSc programme that much better, but it would enrich your learning experience and will help you connect the dots between theory and practice/application. It'll also give you some more money in your pocket! Doing a masters is tough work and you would want to focus a lot of your time to studying and learning as much as possible (it's also your last chance at being young wild and free before a full-time adult).

SOAS is the world's leading institution for the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East, which is where most of the underdeveloped countries are. SOAS would be a great launch pad for you in your career and give you indepth knowledge of the regions where they'll need you the most and the regions where you'll be able to thrive!

We have a 2016 SOAS Application Thread where you can meet other students, have some banter, and make new friends! Definitely come and introduce yourself. Do you have any other further questions about SOAS?

~Mike

ReputationRep:
    So your main reason for Northumbria's International Development MSc is its Jan start? You would be better off to work/intern utill Sep. and have more options on condition you have good grades.

The best IntDev and DEVEcon master's are: LSE, Oxford, SOAS, Sussex IDS, Manchester, UEA, Bath, Nottingham and Warwick. But tuition differs and you have to compare rates. Are you a student from the EU?

ReputationRep:
    As above - Northumbria is a small Unis without a reputation for anything in particular. The Unis mentioned by Tcannon - especially SOAS, Sussex and UEA - all have a much bigger dedicated Dept/solid research profile.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all the help everyone! I'll probably end up waiting to apply for the other master's programs in September and get some work experience during those months after I finish my degree. SOAS is still my number one choice, but I'll definitely be considering/applying to UEA and Sussex as well!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.