Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am 26 years old, currently applying to Uni for 2016. I have read about the changes to student finance.

I currently live with my mother, is it true that my loan will be based on the fact that I am renting a room from my mother as opposed to renting a room somewhere else (annoying)? I have obviously been independent from my family's income for quite sometime so being told that potentially the loan I could get is reduced/based on my mothers income is quite annoying.

Anyone know if this is correct?
    Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

If you're under 25 and want to apply for the additional funding, regardless of whether you still live with your parents, we'll need to have a look at your parents income. There are a few exceptions to this, for example if you're a parent yourself or you're married.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    No that doesn't help. I am over 25.

As I am an independent student would I still be penalised if I live with my parents, despite paying market rate rent?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Sorry, yes as you are over 25 you will be classed as an independent student, so will be assessed for full maintenance loan and maintenance grant. However if you state you live with parents you will receive the maximum amount of loan for students who live with parents, which is slightly less than for those that live "elsewhere".

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi - If I show that I pay market rate rent for the room regardless of the fact I am renting from my parents would I be able to borrow full amount?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

No, as long as you state on the application that you are living with parents rather than living elsewhere, you will receive a lower amount of maintenance loan due to this.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.