Turn on thread page Beta

How to get motivated to eat healthy/exercise? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been battling with loosing my stomach/love handles for ages, but I ust can't get the motivation to eat better, How do you do it- help?

ReputationRep:
    Stop for focusing on weight and focus on a goal in which weightloss is secondary? For example: set yourself a goal of running a marathon and find aa suitable training programme/nutrition advice. You'll lose the weight as a consequence of working towards that goal.

ReputationRep:
    Look at hot pictures of girls and imagine how good you'll look if you didn't have that chocolate/cake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Stop for focusing on weight and focus on a goal in which weightloss is secondary? For example: set yourself a goal of running a marathon and find aa suitable training programme/nutrition advice. You'll lose the weight as a consequence of working towards that goal.
    great tip- thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    I've been battling with loosing my stomach/love handles for ages, but I ust can't get the motivation to eat better, How do you do it- help?
    I would start with keeping it simple. Go for calories in calories out, find out your BMR and see how much you can roughly consume to lose weight. Eat whatever you want but make sure you absolutely stay under / at the amount of calories you can consume to lose weight. Losing some weight initially whilst still eating foods that maybe aren't that healthy should hopefully motivate you as you realise that losing weight is a possible goal. Although do realise that it is highly likely that you will be counting your calories incorrectly at the start so don't get demotivated if you gain weight the first day, just adjust your diet and get better at counting calories / portion sizes accurately. I would suggest you keep doing that for as long as need be (possibly until you are at your optimum weight, or till your weight loss completely stagnates) and at that point start doing some exercise and substituting some foods for slightly healthier things. It worked for me anyway but it may not work for of course, it's just a suggestion anyway. Oh and I would suggest cutting back on carbs and increasing your protein intake as protein tends to be lower in calories and carbs can cause water retention if you, like me, don't drink that much water in a day (sounds a bit odd, I know, but it can be really annoying / demotivating if you don't know about it)

ReputationRep:
    I put the picture of Victoria's Secret Model on my fridge. Actually, all you need is to start DO something. I mean, when you see the result, you just can't stop. Running is amazing for you body, believe me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrionMusicNet)
    I would start with keeping it simple. Go for calories in calories out, find out your BMR and see how much you can roughly consume to lose weight. Eat whatever you want but make sure you absolutely stay under / at the amount of calories you can consume to lose weight. L
    I echo OrionMusicNet sentiments. Definitely work out your basal metabolic rate(BMR) [http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/] I would then suggest using the Harris Benedict equation to figure out you daily calorific needs. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/. Decrease that by 500cals a week and you should lose about a 1lb of body-weight a week. However in my experience pay more attention to body composition than the scales. Some days I wake up and the scales show 14st 6lbs other days I'm 15st . On a side note please do not use BMI it is irrelevant and would put myself in the obese category. BMI is ridiculed by a lot of top athletes, that are incredibly healthy human beings with solid body compositions however are in the overweight category.

In terms of exercising I would suggest finding a solid weightlifting and cardio regime online. Bodybuilding.com has some great beginner plans that can be selected based on gender. If you have an Iphone you can download myfitnesspal to help track calories and the bodyspace app to help track your workouts. It also sends motivational emails to tell you how well you're doing and how active you have been.

Good luck it's a difficult journey but a worthwhile one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrionMusicNet)
    I would start with keeping it simple. Go for calories in calories out, find out your BMR and see how much you can roughly consume to lose weight. Eat whatever you want but make sure you absolutely stay under / at the amount of calories you can consume to lose weight. Losing some weight initially whilst still eating foods that maybe aren't that healthy should hopefully motivate you as you realise that losing weight is a possible goal. Although do realise that it is highly likely that you will be counting your calories incorrectly at the start so don't get demotivated if you gain weight the first day, just adjust your diet and get better at counting calories / portion sizes accurately. I would suggest you keep doing that for as long as need be (possibly until you are at your optimum weight, or till your weight loss completely stagnates) and at that point start doing some exercise and substituting some foods for slightly healthier things. It worked for me anyway but it may not work for of course, it's just a suggestion anyway. Oh and I would suggest cutting back on carbs and increasing your protein intake as protein tends to be lower in calories and carbs can cause water retention if you, like me, don't drink that much water in a day (sounds a bit odd, I know, but it can be really annoying / demotivating if you don't know about it)
    Really helpful- Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zabbai)
    I echo OrionMusicNet sentiments. Definitely work out your basal metabolic rate(BMR) [http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/] I would then suggest using the Harris Benedict equation to figure out you daily calorific needs. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/. Decrease that by 500cals a week and you should lose about a 1lb of body-weight a week. However in my experience pay more attention to body composition than the scales. Some days I wake up and the scales show 14st 6lbs other days I'm 15st . On a side note please do not use BMI it is irrelevant and would put myself in the obese category. BMI is ridiculed by a lot of top athletes, that are incredibly healthy human beings with solid body compositions however are in the overweight category.

In terms of exercising I would suggest finding a solid weightlifting and cardio regime online. Bodybuilding.com has some great beginner plans that can be selected based on gender. If you have an Iphone you can download myfitnesspal to help track calories and the bodyspace app to help track your workouts. It also sends motivational emails to tell you how well you're doing and how active you have been.

Good luck it's a difficult journey but a worthwhile one.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    You need to change your lifestyle. Stop buying snack foods. Don't ever snack. Drop one meal a day. Find an exercise you like and do it every day.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.