Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
    From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
    Cheers

Heriot-Watt Student Room Team (Keir, Sophie and Carole):dancing2:
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey guys,

My name is Conor I'm a final year business student at Heriot-Watt and here to answer any questions you all have. I'm posting some FAQs that might help you out but feel free to post and ask anything else you want to know!

Applying…
    Apart from specific entry requirements listed in the prospectus, are there any other subjects that would be preferred when applying?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For the majority of our courses we look to see“academic” subjects when you are applying for example if you are interested in Engineering we don’t want to see too many creative subjects such as Art and Music we would rather see subjects like Maths, Physics Chemistry etc. The exception to this is our Fashion and Textiles degrees as some of them have a portfolio element to the application process so it is advisable to be doing a creative subject.
    Do you accept re-sits? Do you prefer Advanced Highers to re-sits (Scottish students)?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Re-sits and Advanced Highers can vary from course to course and depends on your individual specific circumstances. You should contact the admissions tutor directly, contact details are found within the prospectus.
    Do you look for relevant work experience? If so, what kind?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Work experience is always beneficial to you, and is great for your personal statement. If your work experience is relevant to your degree choice then great as you will have an insight into potential career paths, however even part time jobs such as in a supermarket is also worth while, as you will be gaining valuable transferable skills.
    Do you prefer school age applicants to apply after 6th year, or are you happy to accept from5th year? (Scotland only)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Students can apply to us straight from 5th year but the vast majority of students will be applying in their 6th year. Students also have the option to enter straight into second year in many courses, however these generally have higher entry requirements. Students studying both 3 and 4 year degrees will pay the sameamount in total fees.
    What is the departments view on deferred entry and gap years?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Each department and admission tutor will have different views on deferred entry, you should contact the admissions tutor directly.Contact details can be found in the prospectus. Gap years can be useful for some students depending on what you are doing. For example if you want to be a language student spending some time in the country of your desired language maybe useful as you will immerse yourself in that language.
    Once you start...
    Ratio of Home / EU / ‘Rest of UK’/ International?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Undergraduate students from
    Scotland – 65%
    EU (outside UK) - 8%
    ‘Rest of UK’ - 15%
    Overseas population - 13%
    What is the male / female ratio
    Spoiler:
    Show
    On our Scottish Campuses we have 56% male and 44% females.
    How many contact hours do students spend in class/ lectures/ tutorials/ lab classes each week?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This differs from course to course but for a lab based subjects we normally advise class time will be approx. 20-25 hours per week whereas management and languages courses approx. 16 hours per week.
    How is the course assessed? Will students have “final” exams? What form will continuous assessment take?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    May vary depending on subject but usually assessments involve a mix of exams, presentations and written assignments (essays or reports). Some academic staff will also use online tests and quizzes.
    Are there any course field trips– either home or abroad?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Many courses have field trips such as MarineBiology (you can learn to dive as part of your course), some courses also have a Diploma in Industrial Training year built into the course so you will have the opportunity to work in industry and it will contribute to your final degree.
    Is there an opportunity to study abroad for a semester/ academic year? If so, which universities does the department have links with?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Many courses have the ability to study abroad and if the course you are on is also offered at our international campuses in Dubai or Malaysia you can go on an exchange to our very own campuses abroad whilst paying the same fees. We also have partners all over the world for specific courses and you could enjoy the opportunity to go to USA, Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Chile, China etc.
    Graduate employability
    What kind of starting salary can the Heriot-Watt graduate expect?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The average starting salary for graduates is £22,772 with 94% of students employed within 6 months of graduations
    How much help is there with career planning and application processes?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Heriot-Watt provide each student with a mentor who can provide advice for students who need it. There are also extensive resources available with the career service with free ‘career meetings’, reading materials, CV workshops and more
    Finance and support...
    Are there any other School/Industrial bursaries or scholarships available?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There are many bursaries and scholarships available at Heriot-Watt. You can find out more and if you are eligible at [/i]
    What assistance is available for disabled students?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Our modern campuses are well equipped for students who have a disability or additional support needs. This includes learning difficulties such as dyslexia, physical disabilities and mental health problems. The Student Support and Accommodation Service are committed toproviding students with appropriate information, professional advice andtechnical help throughout their studies. If you have extra support needs pleasecontact the Disability Adviser at the University.
    How does academic mentoring work?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Every student has a member of academic staff allocated to them as a mentor who will be a key source of advice, guidance and support throughout your degree. Your academic mentor is your first point of contact if you need advice on any issue, both academic and non-academic and you have scheduled meetings throughout the semester to keep you on track! Further details are available in the A-Z Guide for Students [/i]
    Why choose us?
    What are the league table ratings– Guardian, NSS, Times Higher Education?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    GuardianUniversity Guide 2015 – ranked 18th in UK and 2nd inScotland.

NSS – Nearly nine out of ten (89%) of Heriot-Watt final year full time degree students are satisfied overall with their experience. Further info on Heriot-Watt’s student satisfaction rankings can be found at Unistats website

TimesHigher Education – ‘100 under 50’ World University Ranking 2014 we came 77thin the world, 10th in the UK and 1st in Scotland.

You can find out more about our rankings here [/i]
    Study in multiple campuses
    Spoiler:
    Show
    One of Heriot-Watt’s most unique features is the opportunity to spend a year studying abroad at our campuses in Dubai orMalaysia. Giving students the chance to gain international experience whilst studying, even if they aren’t on a ‘study abroad’ degree!
    Live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hailed by RoughGuides as the fourth most beautiful cities in the world (behind Paris, Rome andFlorence), Edinburgh is an incredible place to live with castles, acclaimed museums, renowned architecture and much more. Many students live in the city after first year with Heriot-Watt campus a short bus journey away arriving every few minutes and enjoy the mix of studying on a campus and returning to the buzz of the city in the evenings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heriot-Watt University)
    Hi guys

I know a lot of you are making your mind up right now about 2016 UCAS applications, so here's a chance for you to ask any questions you might have about Heriot-Watt.
    From student life to accommodation or great things about Edinburgh we'll try and come back to you with useful advice so fire away!
    Cheers

Hi

Do Heriot-Watt send acknowledgements for applications? If so, how long after applications would an acknowledgement be expected? I applied 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a dicky bird

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Iris2811)
    Hi

Do Heriot-Watt send acknowledgements for applications? If so, how long after applications would an acknowledgement be expected? I applied 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a dicky bird

Thanks
    Hi Iris2811,

We do send acknowledgements, sorry to hear you haven't received yours yet. I am only guessing but it might be a few gremlins in our system. :facepalm:

Can you send me your details in a private message and I can check for you?

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm live in England and applied for the MEng computing and electronics degree at Heriot-watt, I got an e-mail recently about a username and password but that was it.....I was wondering how long it takes for offers to be given because I'm not really sure how it works. It stated that if I'm invited l would require an interview. Does this mean that I would need to go to the Edinburgh campus to do so?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I receive a conditional offer for 1st year and a subsidiary offer for 2nd-year Psychology. What does it mean? Also, I have received the email but not the UCAS acknowledgement, should I be concerned?
    Im an international student, I would like to know if the university would help me apply for jobs.
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Flavier(^o^))
    Hello,
    I'm live in England and applied for the MEng computing and electronics degree at Heriot-watt, I got an e-mail recently about a username and password but that was it.....I was wondering how long it takes for offers to be given because I'm not really sure how it works. It stated that if I'm invited l would require an interview. Does this mean that I would need to go to the Edinburgh campus to do so?
    Hi Flavier(^o^),

Apologies for my delayed response, I have been down to Manchester meeting some potential students.

Your username and password is just for your VIP portal. It is a webpage that has specific information for you on there. If you have the time you should log in and have a look. In terms of offers, each subject area is slightly different, we will be considering all applications now so sit tight and hopefully you will hear from us soon.

Re. interviews, the department don't tend to interview students however you will have the opportunity to come up and see the campus and our labs etc. In addition to this we also run regional events all across the UK so you might be able to come and visit us in one of the following cities:
    Birmingham
    Carlisle
    Manchester
    Leeds
    Newcastle
    Belfast
    Derry
    Bristol
    London
    Glasgow
    Dundee

Hope this has helped, if you have any more questions please just ask and I promise I will be quicker in my response

Cheers,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by samihauge1)
    Hi I receive a conditional offer for 1st year and a subsidiary offer for 2nd-year Psychology. What does it mean? Also, I have received the email but not the UCAS acknowledgement, should I be concerned?
    Im an international student, I would like to know if the university would help me apply for jobs.
    Thanks
    Hi samihauge1,

Again apologies about my delay in getting back to you .

This means that you have been made an offer for first year but if you want to start at an advanced entry point (second year) you can do if you get good enough grades. It might be worthwhile you phoning the department to talk through your options. For UCAS, you should check on UCAS track, if it still says on there you haven't got an offer then something has went wrong, if this is the case let me know your details through a private message and I will check what is going on.

With regards to helping you find a job, if you are going to be on a tier 4 visa you will be limited to 20 hours per week whilst your studying. We do have a careers advisory team who will support students to find both part time work whilst they are studying and help you with your career choices when you graduate.

Hope this has helped, feel free to ask anything else if you have more queries.

Cheers,
    Keir

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Cheers

Hello I am wondering if I study either economics and business management or economics with marketing, are students able to take a placement year? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Cheers

Does Heriot-Watt conducts interviews for Maths applicants?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by izzykate1)
    Hello I am wondering if I study either economics and business management or economics with marketing, are students able to take a placement year? Thank you
    Hi izzykate1 For our International Business Management degree, 3rd year is spent studying abroad. Some of our other Business Management degrees also include the opportunity for inter-campus transfer (i.e. you can spend a semester or a year studying at either our Dubai campus or our Malaysia campus). Students currently on inter-campus transfer are busy blogging - you can read about their experiences in their Dubai blog and the Malaysia blog.

Whilst our Economics degrees don't have an integrated study abroad year, it may still be possible to study abroad an approved institution during your 3rd year.

If you've any more questions, drop us an email on [email protected] or ask us on our School of Management and Languages 2016 thread here on TSR.

Thanks
    SML Admissions Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Cheers

Hi,

Just a quick question - I've applied for BSc Computer Science

I'm currently looking for places to rent and saw prices are a lot lower around Wester Hailes - guessing there is a reason for this? Has anyone rented a place in this area or currently living there? What do you think of the neighborhood ? Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, do you know if the Business Management course have started to send out offers yet?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Mannyscot,

Good luck with your application! :thumbsup:

Our Accommodation Office recommend that the best places to stay are on the west of the city, in areas such as Haymarket, Dalry, Gorgie, Chesser, Slateford, Currie, Juniper Green and Balerno. I think that the majority of our students live in these areas and jump on the 25 bus to the campus! Wester Hails isn't mentioned but hopefully there's a student living in that area on here who can tell you what it's like.

There's information about Private rented accommodation on our website including what you can expect to pay and ways to find a flatmate. If you have any other queries our Accommodation Office ([email protected]) will be happy to advise you!

Hope that helps!

Carole

(Original post by mannyscot)
    Hi,

Just a quick question - I've applied for BSc Computer Science

I'm currently looking for places to rent and saw prices are a lot lower around Wester Hailes - guessing there is a reason for this? Has anyone rented a place in this area or currently living there? What do you think of the neighborhood ? Any feedback would be appreciated

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi oliverspence18,

I've just checked with the School of Management and Languages and they haven't started making Undergraduate offers yet. :nah:

Hope this helps!

Carole

(Original post by oliverspence18)
    Hi, do you know if the Business Management course have started to send out offers yet?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I was just wondering if/when offers would be sent out for Chemical Engineering?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi oliverspence18,

I've just checked with the School of Management and Languages and they haven't started making Undergraduate offers yet. :nah:

Hope this helps!

Carole
    thank you Carol!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i just got a conditional offer to study MEng Mechanical engineering and unfortunately haven't been able to actually visit the uni as i live in the midlands. I was just wondering if you could describe the labs i would use, as in the facilities they offer and the general quality of them. Thanks in advance.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by arch0wnz)
    Hey, I was just wondering if/when offers would be sent out for Chemical Engineering?

Thanks
    Hi arch0wnz,

The Chem Eng admissions tutor is considering all applicants as we speak. As it is our most popular course for applications at UG level I think the department might wait till the 15th of January deadline so they can give everyone a fair chance.

Hang tight and we will get back to you.

Good luck,
    Keir
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Oliver.Grubb)
    Hi, i just got a conditional offer to study MEng Mechanical engineering and unfortunately haven't been able to actually visit the uni as i live in the midlands. I was just wondering if you could describe the labs i would use, as in the facilities they offer and the general quality of them. Thanks in advance.
    Hi Oliver.Grubb,

The mech eng lab is a huge workshop with lots of different machines in it. We have a fully sponsored metrology laboratory sponsored by Renishaw, full sized industry standard numeric CNC (computer numerical control) and lots, lots more. Can I say at this point this means nothing to me as I studied Biology but a colleague in my office has told me about them and assures me they are top quality facilities. Our students are blessed with a hands on learning approach here at HW and we take pride in our vocational teaching ethic.

With regards on getting up for a visit, we hold applicants visit days in spring and will be contacting you about these just after the Christmas break. We also have regional Applicants Information Evenings all across the UK the closest to you would be Birmingham or Manchester and again we will contact you about this soon.

Hope this has helped and I hope we can welcome you on campus soon.
    If you want any more info about HW just give me a shout. (I might have to refer you to my colleague for any technical questions:facepalm:)

Cheers,
    Keir

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 12, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.