The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt 2016 Applicants - Ask us anything!

Scroll to see replies

@Heriot-Watt University Hi, I think this has already been asked, but when can those that had insured the university apply for accomodation?
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Reply 241
Original post by kkboyk
@Heriot-Watt University Hi, I think this has already been asked, but when can those that had insured the university apply for accomodation?

Pretty sure it has but anyway, once you're offer on UCAS becomes unconditional firm so results day if you have a conditional.
Original post by kkboyk

Original post by qno2
Pretty sure it has but anyway, once you're offer on UCAS becomes unconditional firm so results day if you have a conditional.

Hi Kkboyk,

qno2 is quite right, to apply for accommodation you have to be unconditional firm (UF). So if you are CI just now you will need to be rejected by your firm uni and make our conditions to become UF. This should happen automatically on results day.

If you have anymore questions just get in touch.
Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Hi,
In January when I was finalising my firm and insurance I put Heriot-Watt as my insurance but now I think I'd like to put it as my firm, is there any way that I could change this ??
I have applied for international business and Spanish and saw that business was 13th in the UK at HW which was pretty impressive... Overall is HW thought well of by employers? What holds me back is the overall rep, as my current firm is a Russel group uni... Do you think HW could be overlooked compared to this?
V serious question I know, but Edinburgh is so beautiful and after having some time to think I'm getting very conflicted over what I should do ..
Thankyou hahaha
Original post by Wheredidshego
Hi,
In January when I was finalising my firm and insurance I put Heriot-Watt as my insurance but now I think I'd like to put it as my firm, is there any way that I could change this ??
I have applied for international business and Spanish and saw that business was 13th in the UK at HW which was pretty impressive... Overall is HW thought well of by employers? What holds me back is the overall rep, as my current firm is a Russel group uni... Do you think HW could be overlooked compared to this?
V serious question I know, but Edinburgh is so beautiful and after having some time to think I'm getting very conflicted over what I should do ..
Thankyou hahaha

Hi Wheredidshego,

The short answer is yes you can change, however it is not as simple as you might think. You need to contact UCAS and the admissions office here and at your firm choice. We all need to agree that we are happy with the change before anything is processed. If you want to do this then you have to act fast as it all needs to be done before the 28th of July!

With regards to our reputation... we are highly regarded in industry and we do well with our graduate employment - 95% of our students are employed or in further study 6 months after graduation.

Hope this has helped, it you are looking to change good luck but the advice is to move fast! :smile:
Any more questions just give us a shout,
Cheers,
Keir
Thanks! Yes I need to make my mind up quickly... Do you have any more applicant visit days available ? Or do these not occur in summer ?
Original post by Wheredidshego
Thanks! Yes I need to make my mind up quickly... Do you have any more applicant visit days available ? Or do these not occur in summer ?

We don't have any in the summer unfortunately... we can offer you an individual visit though, we will give you a campus tour and give you general advice about the university. We will also try to get an academic or someone from the subject area for you to speak to but I know a lot of my academic colleagues are on holiday at the moment so that is not always possible. If you email [email protected] we can sort out a time and date for you :smile:

Cheers,
Keir
Reply 247
Hello,

I received my results this morning only to see i have missed my conditions for my firm choice, however i still have not been rejected by this university on ucas (i phoned the univeristy and they said they are still processing/considering it and i will hear back either today or tomorrow but most likely tomorrow).

However I have made Heriot watt my insurance choice and i am worried in case i am missing a chance to get the accommodating that i would like at Heriot watt. So my question is despite not applying for accommodation today (the days of SQA results), will i miss my opportunity to get my first choice if i were to apply for accomodation over the next few days? thanks
Reply 248
Original post by ejca
Hello,

I received my results this morning only to see i have missed my conditions for my firm choice, however i still have not been rejected by this university on ucas (i phoned the univeristy and they said they are still processing/considering it and i will hear back either today or tomorrow but most likely tomorrow).

However I have made Heriot watt my insurance choice and i am worried in case i am missing a chance to get the accommodating that i would like at Heriot watt. So my question is despite not applying for accommodation today (the days of SQA results), will i miss my opportunity to get my first choice if i were to apply for accomodation over the next few days? thanks

No. You have up until just after A-level results day to apply for accommodation and still get the guarantee. Check the heriot watt accommodation page as it has this info on it I'm sure.
Reply 249
Original post by qno2
No. You have up until just after A-level results day to apply for accommodation and still get the guarantee. Check the heriot watt accommodation page as it has this info on it I'm sure.

thanks for the info, i will go do that now
Original post by ejca
Hello,

Hi ejca,

Don't worry too much about accommodation. The accommodation deadline isn't for another couple of weeks. We hold back rooms in each type of accommodation so you will still have a chance in getting your first choice.

If you want to talk to one of our advisers we are here until 5pm today and from 9am till 5pm tomorrow, just give us a ring - 0131-322-3222.

Cheers,
Keir :smile:
Hello! Postgraduate questions here..How many postgraduate courses can I apply for? Roughly how long is the wait to find out what course I have been accepted onto? How long after that would I find out then timetable details/welcome event details? And finally - where can I find out further details for elective modules, so far I can only find the names of the electives available but no module descriptions.Thanks!
Reply 252
Hi, I've just been accepted into HW and filled out the accommodation this morning. I was given my 2nd choice accommodation, does this mean my first choice is unavailable because it's full? Can I change my choice altogether now?
Original post by Sarah51742
Hello! Postgraduate questions here..How many postgraduate courses can I apply for? Roughly how long is the wait to find out what course I have been accepted onto? How long after that would I find out then timetable details/welcome event details? And finally - where can I find out further details for elective modules, so far I can only find the names of the electives available but no module descriptions.Thanks!

Hi Sarah, which postgraduate programme have you applied for?
Original post by Heriot-Watt University
Hi Sarah, which postgraduate programme have you applied for?

I am applying for the International Business Managemet with Project Management course. I am sending my application in by the end of the week.
Original post by Sarah51742
I am applying for the International Business Managemet with Project Management course. I am sending my application in by the end of the week.

Hi Sarah

Our turnaround time is pretty quick at the moment for anyone looking for 2016 entry to one of our postgraduate programmes. All the details for start of semester, timetables etc will be sent to you once you have accepted an unconditional offer. Induction and Enrolment week starts Monday 5th September, classes start Monday 12th September.

If you have any other questions meantime you can contact the Admissions Team in the School of Management and Languages (SML) - [email protected] who will be happy to help.

Ali on behalf of the SML Admissions team
Hey :-)

I was wondering how many days I'd be at University when I'm studying the first year of the Computer Science G400 course? And also how many hours. Are we in every single day mon-fri?
Hi. I have questions for those taking MEchanical Engineering in this uni. How are the lecturers and facilities so far? I only know about it as far as the ranking goes and from looking at the guardian and completeuniversityguide rankings, it seems that for this particular course, Heriot Watt is better than Manchester, Sheffield and Edinburgh. Is this course in this uni also well-known overseas? Thank you.
Original post by lesleyjane
Hey :-)

I was wondering how many days I'd be at University when I'm studying the first year of the Computer Science G400 course? And also how many hours. Are we in every single day mon-fri?

Hi lesleyjane :smile:

You can see last semester's Year 1 timetable here to give you an idea. You will be given your timetable at your first meeting in Welcome Week (5th September). Most students do not have classes on Wednesday afternoons.

Our academic year is divided into 2 semesters corresponding to 30 weeks. There will be 12 weeks teaching in each semester. You are expected to study 4 courses each semester, giving a total of 8 courses in a full year. All undergraduate courses are designed to be of equal length in terms of student effort. The average student is expected to put in a total effort of 150 hours per course. These 150 hours includes all lectures, tutorials, computing labs, workshops, background reading, writing up notes, coursework, revision and examinations for the course.

We look forward to welcoming you here next month :dance:

Holly (School of MACS)
Hi, I'm coming from Northern Ireland ... At what date should I come over ? Is freshers week the 4th? I feel like there are a lot of posts on Facebook on the nightclubs that people are going to that week but I HAVE NO IDEA ... I want to take part fully but it's hard when I have no friends yet and no idea what I'm doing haha

Quick Reply

Latest