Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Pathology Work Experience Good for Medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was wondering if work experience in a pathology department was useful for studying medicine at university. Or would it be better for me to spend that week doing more work experience with patients?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyan Ink)
    Hello,

I was wondering if work experience in a pathology department was useful for studying medicine at university. Or would it be better for me to spend that week doing more work experience with patients?
    I don't see why it would be bad, since it's still medical experience. But when writing/talking about it to unis then make sure to talk about how it links to medicine, clinical experience etc as you don't want them questioning whether you'd be better off doing a science degree instead of a people-centric subject like medicine!

Despite the fact that there's nothing wrong with pathology work, experience I would still say that work experience with more patient contact would be better if you can get it. This is because you want to show the unis that you're a people person and that you know what it would be like to work in a doctor's environment with patients. They already know from your grades that you're good at and interested in science, so you don't need to prove that with your work experience, whereas in an environment with patients you can show your traits that you can't portray in your exam results!

As I said though, it is harder to get experience in care situations with patients, so any work experience that you can link to medicine in any way is good! The key thing is to keep linking what you saw/experienced to why you want to do MEDICINE, not anything else

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.