Turn on thread page Beta

University after a gap year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my second week of lectures of my first term at uni, and I just cant seem to get into it. I spent my gap year travelling, working and volunteering, and I loved the freedom and fulfilment that I got from that, every day was exciting!

Now I just seem to sit in lectures, watch the powerpoint move faster than I keep up, and get back to my room with a ton of reading and work, which I'm struggling to keep on top of. I'm not finding my subject nearly as inspiring as I think I did at A level, and although I've made some friends, and joined some clubs, I miss home and the friends I made while volunteering.

I really don't know what to do, has anybody else been in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly why I would never go on a gap year. You get a taste of travelling and freedom so coming back into such a rigorous and strict education system is hard to do

Maybe you should visit home at weekends every few weeks to see your family and friends, maybe look at joining more clubs/more active ones. Take your time up if you're getting bored (get an exciting job or start a new sport that requires you to work at to be decent at)

In terms of studying maybe if you take some time to go over what you did at A level and connect that to what you're doing now it'll feel more flowing with what you used to do. Lectures can be boring but if you have friends in the lectures it can make it easier. Doing work as soon as you can instead of leaving it for a while can be better too if you aren't enjoying it much

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.