Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Education Section - Independent student HELP! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm applying to university as an international student. I've studied independently in my country, meaning I have taken exams at two different exam centres but had no affiliation with any school since I finished compulsary school (apart from an online school, which I registered all but one of my exams to). My question is what should I enter as my school/exam center in the education section?

As some of the exams are in the future UCAS won't allow me to write the exam center as only the date the exam is. For example, I am taking three exams in May 2016 at school X, but I can't write start date in the future, so I would have to write the start date this month, but that would be incorrect as I don't actually attend school X. Please help me as I need to apply very soon and don't know what to do!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by maddepadde)
    Hi!

I'm applying to university as an international student. I've studied independently in my country, meaning I have taken exams at two different exam centres but had no affiliation with any school since I finished compulsary school (apart from an online school, which I registered all but one of my exams to). My question is what should I enter as my school/exam center in the education section?

As some of the exams are in the future UCAS won't allow me to write the exam center as only the date the exam is. For example, I am taking three exams in May 2016 at school X, but I can't write start date in the future, so I would have to write the start date this month, but that would be incorrect as I don't actually attend school X. Please help me as I need to apply very soon and don't know what to do!
    Those messages don't physically prohibit you from adding an exam centre with dates May-June, they're just there to make sure what you've put in is right.

As an independent student, putting the exam centre in as part-time + the dates of the exam should suffice, regardless of what the UCAS system is saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Those messages don't physically prohibit you from adding an exam centre with dates May-June, they're just there to make sure what you've put in is right.

As an independent student, putting the exam centre in as part-time + the dates of the exam should suffice, regardless of what the UCAS system is saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fantastic, thank you! Do you know if you're automatically entered as a mature student?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Fantastic, thank you! Do you know if you're automatically entered as a mature student?
    If you aren't 21 or older, you won't be classified as a mature student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If you aren't 21 or older, you won't be classified as a mature student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will be 21 the year of entry, but am I automatically classified or do I need to add it anywhere? Also, do you know if they are more leniant with entry requirements for mature students?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I will be 21 the year of entry, but am I automatically classified or do I need to add it anywhere? Also, do you know if they are more leniant with entry requirements for mature students?
    You need to be 21 on or before the start date of your degree to be considered a mature student. Some universities are more lenient, some aren't - where are you applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You need to be 21 on or before the start date of your degree to be considered a mature student. Some universities are more lenient, some aren't - where are you applying?
    I turn 21 on September 16th. I'm applying to Durham, Bath, Queen Mary, Surrey, and Leeds
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I turn 21 on September 16th. I'm applying to Durham, Bath, Queen Mary, Surrey, and Leeds
    That should be fine, but to be sure, email each university and ask them if you'd be classed as a mature student.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Entry requirements can be lower for mature students as they have a lot of relevant work experience. At 21, you won't. So whilst technically you are a mature student, it won't make any difference yet.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.