Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    I am doing AS levels and planning on getting a job in the summer. However i only have 20 days possible for working as i am going away quite a lot. I have worked out that to fund all of my "expeditions" i will need to earn £1000. In 20 days this is £60 a day or in an 8 hour day £6.25 and hour.

I do not know of any jobs that pay this well for such a short amount of time...
    What do you think i should do...
    I was thinking of getting a job for the 20 days and then on the last day quitting, but are there contracts against this - will i still get 20 days pay.

ReputationRep:
    get two or three jobs and work your ass off.

ReputationRep:
    What is the job?

ReputationRep:
    get a job now, instead of waiting till the holidays

ReputationRep:
    i dunno thats the problem - i was thinking of waiting tables at a restaurant but they would not want me for such a short period of time

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, you would be fairly hard pushed to find a job paying £6.25 p/hr in most retail arenas - retail jobs near me tend to pay £4.50-£5.30 p/hr Although this may be different where you live.

See if you can get a job at a High St. bank because they can pay £8+ p/hr.

ReputationRep:
    if you're under 18 they can charge u anything they want, most places will charge between £3.50-£4.50 depending what is is you're doing......waiting on tables is good though, usually u just make tons off the tips, go for small local restaurants where they're not likely to make you sign a contract

sorry to burst your bubble but i don't think it will be realistically possible to make so much money in such a short space of time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    From my experience, you would be fairly hard pushed to find a job paying £6.25 p/hr in most retail arenas - retail jobs near me tend to pay £4.50-£5.30 p/hr Although this may be different where you live.

See if you can get a job at a High St. bank because they can pay £8+ p/hr.
    yeh but high street banks do not take people for 20 days. and to get the job is usually a lengthy procedure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    yeh but high street banks do not take people for 20 days. and to get the job is usually a lengthy procedure
    so for a 20 day job you need to get a job which is basically not legit, i.e. get paid cash, no contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jak Spencer)
    Hi All,
    I am doing AS levels and planning on getting a job in the summer. However i only have 20 days possible for working as i am going away quite a lot. I have worked out that to fund all of my "expeditions" i will need to earn £1000. In 20 days this is £60 a day or in an 8 hour day £6.25 and hour.

I do not know of any jobs that pay this well for such a short amount of time...
    What do you think i should do...
    I was thinking of getting a job for the 20 days and then on the last day quitting, but are there contracts against this - will i still get 20 days pay.

normally employers require around 2 weeks notice before you plan to leave which means you'll have to quit after your first week..lol.

(Original post by priya)
    if you're under 18 they can charge u anything they want, most places will charge between £3.50-£4.50 depending what is is you're doing......waiting on tables is good though, usually u just make tons off the tips, go for small local restaurants where they're not likely to make you sign a contract

sorry to burst your bubble but i don't think it will be realistically possible to make so much money in such a short space of time....
    yeh i worked in a pub serving food but it was only £4 an hour however no contract and you got the money in a envelope so no waiting for it to go into the bank every month!! and i quit after a month and didnt really need to give notice

however as it was a pub where you ordered at the bar nobody really tipped

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.