Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really want to study and Access to Medicine course as its my dream to become a doctor! It is my only option as I don't have any A-Levels.

But the issue is I am 25 and I live alone. The two colleges have made it clear that I can apply for a Government Funded Loan for over 24s to cover my course fees but I don't know how I go about getting a loan or grant to cover my living costs. As the course is full-time I will need to quit my job and won't have any income.

I was told to apply for a grant from a charity called Turn2Us, which I have but I am pretty sure they are not going to approve me finance for the year.

I was told by one of the colleges to also apply via student finance but I was told by a careers advisor that the finance will only cover me for 3 years, which will not cover the degree I progress onto over the access course.

I am aware you can apply for loan from certain banks for career progression, but these are credit checked and that's not an option for me :/

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

My rent is not expensive as I live in a studio council flat and I can try and save from now to at least raise something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boyldn)
    I really want to study and Access to Medicine course as its my dream to become a doctor! It is my only option as I don't have any A-Levels.

But the issue is I am 25 and I live alone. The two colleges have made it clear that I can apply for a Government Funded Loan for over 24s to cover my course fees but I don't know how I go about getting a loan or grant to cover my living costs. As the course is full-time I will need to quit my job and won't have any income.

I was told to apply for a grant from a charity called Turn2Us, which I have but I am pretty sure they are not going to approve me finance for the year.

I was told by one of the colleges to also apply via student finance but I was told by a careers advisor that the finance will only cover me for 3 years, which will not cover the degree I progress onto over the access course.

I am aware you can apply for loan from certain banks for career progression, but these are credit checked and that's not an option for me :/

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

My rent is not expensive as I live in a studio council flat and I can try and save from now to at least raise something.
    Your best bet would be to research charities who might do grants for those in further education. The government don't do grants or loans for living costs for further education (your access course), only higher education (your degree).

As you've already mentioned some banks do career development loans, but they are generally short term and as medicine is 5 years long, you'll quite possibly come into some difficulty paying it back whilst still at uni. But it's something to explore.

The college(s) might to grants, you'll have to enquire with them, but they'll be for things like travel or extra course costs (books/printing) rather than living costs.

You will qualify for the 24+ learning loan which you can find out about on the Student Finance England website. I'm shocked by what you were told by the college careers adviser, they obviously have no idea at all. Further education and Higher education funding is separate, so your funding for FE won't be affected by HE study.

There have been a couple of other posts about this recently, have a look further down the threads on the mature student's page and you'll find someone in a similar situation, some people have given them good advice.

ReputationRep:
    maybe some colleges class Access to HE as full time but IMO (and medicine may be very different) i'ts not. There are people on my course still working 30 hour + weeks.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.