The Student Room Group

Is defining terminology with a quote (with reference) okay?

A lot of the notes I have been given on topics by school, I have since found either online or in my revision guides as I have started revising. As a result, I have started amalgamating relevant knowledge from various sources to get the most information in my notes for when it comes to revising.

My question is whether it would be okay to state the definition of terminology as I have found it elsewhere, whilst clarifying that I have done this. Last year, for my AS exams I included definitions word for word as I had been taught them in class (which they had taken from a revision guide and revision packs provided online by the exam board) and this seemed to be okay.

I would like to include them as follows:
The website for the University of North Florida defines incremental revenue as 'the additional revenues generated from accepting the special order.'

Any help?

Thanks.
Original post by ohmykatiemay
A lot of the notes I have been given on topics by school, I have since found either online or in my revision guides as I have started revising. As a result, I have started amalgamating relevant knowledge from various sources to get the most information in my notes for when it comes to revising.

My question is whether it would be okay to state the definition of terminology as I have found it elsewhere, whilst clarifying that I have done this. Last year, for my AS exams I included definitions word for word as I had been taught them in class (which they had taken from a revision guide and revision packs provided online by the exam board) and this seemed to be okay.

I would like to include them as follows:
The website for the University of North Florida defines incremental revenue as 'the additional revenues generated from accepting the special order.'

Any help?

Thanks.

I don't see any problem in doing that! I do the same all the time in modern studies, because you're supposed to source your knowledge anyhow and show that you're researching from a wide range of sources. I would ask your teacher, but if the subject that you'd be doing it in doesn't actually require info sourcing like modern studies does for me, then you might not even have to state where you got that terminology? But I would check first :smile:
Original post by rachelmoyes
I don't see any problem in doing that! I do the same all the time in modern studies, because you're supposed to source your knowledge anyhow and show that you're researching from a wide range of sources. I would ask your teacher, but if the subject that you'd be doing it in doesn't actually require info sourcing like modern studies does for me, then you might not even have to state where you got that terminology? But I would check first :smile:

Fab, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending