Turn on thread page Beta

Would you have stood up to this man and helped her? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...ially-10290246

To summarise:

"British Transport Police confirmed a 37-year-old man from Liverpool had been arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated common assault and bailed pending further inquiries.The poet, who is performing across England for Black History Month , said she was shocked that other passengers allegedly failed to challenge the man, either “looking at their phones” or chiding her afterwards for “making a scene”.She also claimed the attack was the second time she had been racially abused that week, and highlighted the irony of it taking place in both Black History Month and National Hate Crime Awareness Week.She said: “A man sat down next to me on top of my scarf and bag on a busy train from Birmingham to Liverpool Lime Street . He got off it but just after Runcorn leant into my face and asked where I was from.“He smelt like he’d been drinking and hadn’t washed, and when I moved back he said: ‘Don’t give me that attitude you black b***’. I repeated what he’d said so people knew what was happening, and he called me ‘crazy’.“He started saying quite loudly, ‘you f*** n***, slave, you Africans spreading diseases and stealing our jobs, how do you like that?’ [It was] violent, hateful stuff. He tried to spit at me, and then to slap me in the face after I told him to get out of my face.“But he missed and hit my shoulder. I slapped him back and he threw a jar of honey he had at me. I was yelling back, and it was only then someone stood between us.”She added: “99% of passengers on that train should be ashamed - even people right near us ignored it, looking at their phones. I called them cowards, and said they’d have let him kill me."Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Of course!! I do not understand why sick people, like this horrible man, think that it is okay to specifically target people of a particular race by insulting and attacking them for no reason. The woman was not in the wrong in any way.

ReputationRep:
    This is the diffusion of responsibility in a nutshell. I'd very much hope that I would act in such a situation

ReputationRep:
    That's horrible I don't think I would have intervened much though as I have an anxiety problem so would end up in a heap on the floor which wouldnt be much help haha.. actually that would have happened either way

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd hope that I'd intervene but who knows.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.