Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is hate speech illegal in the UK? IP tracked down and someone will report me to..... watch

ReputationRep:
    THE POLICE.

Is this real?

They are saying they have my IP and will track me down?

Can I take defenses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)
    THE POLICE.

Is this real?

Can I take defenses?

Hopefully they do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmprin)
    Hopefully they do
    No you don't get it. They are threatening to expose my identity on the internet because I disagreed with them and report me to the police. I never posted hate speech just got into a heated argument about race. I'm black, the person in question was white.

ReputationRep:
    THE POLICE.

Is this real?

Can I take defenses?
    It really depends whether you said anything that could be considered extreme Islamic/right wing/communist/crazy/terrorist/rabble raising or inciting hatred.
    Hate speech is illegal in all those contexts, and many others, I would seriously recommend you cease your activities and hire a lawyer.

Obviously if you didn't do anything wrong then don't worry about it.

(this is not legal advice)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    It really depends whether you said anything that could be considered extreme Islamic/right wing/communist/crazy/terrorist/rabble raising or inciting hatred.
    Hate speech is illegal in all those contexts, and many others, I would seriously recommend you cease your activities and hire a lawyer.

(this is not legal advice)
    Could I be prosecuted in a court though?

How would they prove hate speech?

ReputationRep:

Was it on tsr or another forum? What kind of hate speech? Do you mean racism? Sexism?

If they have proof then surely it's possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    Was it on tsr or another forum? What kind of hate speech? Do you mean racism? Sexism?
    No wasn't on TSR. It was on a gaming website it's called MMO-CHAMPION and it's rather well-known.

Basically I'm being accused of racism specifically towards white people because we were ALL arguing about John Boyega being the lead in the next starwars and the thread was discussing this interview he gave very recently where he said :

"It's unnecessary. I’m in the movie, what are you going to do about it? You either enjoy it or you don’t. I’m not saying get used to the future, but what is already happening. People of color and women are increasingly being shown on-screen. For things to be whitewashed just doesn’t make sense. All the films I’ve done have had a secret commentary on stereotypical mentalities. It’s about getting people to drop a prejudiced state of mind and realize, Oh **** we’re just watching normal people."

and BASICALLY most of the people in the thread were arguing that he didn't fit the brand of the movie and they were being subtly racist saying he didn't fit the vision of the movie and that they will boycott the franchise because of him. So I called them out and things got out of hand.

ReputationRep:
    No wasn't on TSR. It was on a gaming website it's called MMO-CHAMPION and it's rather well-known.

Basically I'm being accused of racism specifically towards white people because we were ALL arguing about John Boyega being the lead in the next starwars and the thread was discussing this interview he gave very recently where he said :

"It's unnecessary. I’m in the movie, what are you going to do about it? You either enjoy it or you don’t. I’m not saying get used to the future, but what is already happening. People of color and women are increasingly being shown on-screen. For things to be whitewashed just doesn’t make sense. All the films I’ve done have had a secret commentary on stereotypical mentalities. It’s about getting people to drop a prejudiced state of mind and realize, Oh **** we’re just watching normal people."

and BASICALLY most of the people in the thread were arguing that he didn't fit the brand of the movie and they were being subtly racist saying he didn't fit the vision of the movie and that they will boycott the franchise because of him. So I called them out and things got out of hand.
    Did you make any threats or say anything extremely offensive?

ReputationRep:

You could be prosecuted in court, or if the police think your a terrorist, then MI5 could look into your darkest secrets...

If the alleged hate speech is written down or otherwise recorded, that would be proof.

I doubt that the police would bother unless its very bad, they cant deal with all internet trolls. just the genuine bad guys.

ReputationRep:
    No. But as you can imagine that forum is very white-centric and minorities are in the minority so they ganged up on me.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that you will get in trouble with the police over what you just described.

Even if you made seriously over the top comments, you were provoked and a reasonable response is excusable, provided its a one-off event.

ReputationRep:
    No. But as you can imagine that forum is very white-centric and minorities are in the minority so they ganged up on me.
    You could consider a counter-claim, if you wanted to report them to the police for racism.
    it would have to be fairly personal racism for it to be prosecutable. not liking the actor wouldn't count, it would have to be personal against you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JeremyOU)
    You could consider a counter-claim, if you wanted to report them to the police for racism.
    it would have to be fairly personal racism for it to be prosecutable. not liking the actor wouldn't count, it would have to be personal against you.
    No I'd rather not get involved with the police they have a track history of mishandling black people what with the higher incarceration rate and prejudice that comes from the officers.

ReputationRep:
    Calm down man, embarrassing yourself like that.
    If you did indeed not say anything abusive to them then why are you scared?
    Just do what you do and ignore it. If the police where to supposedly track you down then handle it! and don't be a p.ussy...smh

ReputationRep:
    Doubt it, not many people will care about what two kids say to each other on a forum.. Especially a gaming forum

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.