Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Acupuncture Side Effects? Anyone know about this? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there are side effects to acupuncture? if so, what are they and what is the worst case scenario?

ReputationRep:
    Acupuncture is not really meant to have side effects other than the results that you are expecting, perhaps if the acupuncturist is not needling the points well, you might get some pain, but this depends on the acupuncturist and their method of practice (As there are many types of acupuncture).

Video here explains it better than I just did tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKwiHhEeEE

The girl in the video does say that there are some exceptions to the side effects. Something about nerves being regenerated. But I doubt there is more than this to acupuncture side effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by source)
    Acupuncture is not really meant to have side effects other than the results that you are expecting, perhaps if the acupuncturist is not needling the points well, you might get some pain, but this depends on the acupuncturist and their method of practice (As there are many types of acupuncture).

Video here explains it better than I just did tho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpKwiHhEeEE

The girl in the video does say that there are some exceptions to the side effects. Something about nerves being regenerated. But I doubt there is more than this to acupuncture side effects.
    Thanks for the video. but how do i know what kind of acupuncturist is a good pratitoner and what isn't? because i dont know that much about it so..

ReputationRep:
    i think experience will tell you who is a good practitioner. other than that, i know that Daoist acupuncture is an advanced type of acupuncture and there is only one person that is practicing that in England, who is in London. His details are on the acupuncture forum (clickable link). Last I checked he is doing free acupuncture treatments, which I think is still open to new people.

ReputationRep:
    great that is very useful, thank you! yeah i know about the acupuncture forum. i will ask there. didnt want to sign up as i am already a member of a couple of forums hehe

ReputationRep:
    There aren't many specific side effects but the worst case scenario is that you come out feeling worse than you went in. You don't want this though but it is comparable to a negligent or incompetent doctor treating his patient.
    People do tend to worry about nerve damage but as I said, thats only likely when you give a child needles to play with.

For me, I don't go to any acupuncturist in the UK unless it is recommended by someone I trust, or generally positive feedback from treatments or I have personal experience with them. Not even going through the NHS is wise because they can obtain a license with a weekend course in acupuncture.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I know this thread is a few years old now, but I wanted to pitch in with my 2 cents as forum posts are often read by future visitors for years. Regarding acupuncture, it is rare that there are any negative side effects from treatment. Occasionally a person may feel light headed momentarily after treatment or somewhat spaced out for a few mins, but this is typically not viewed as unpleasant by the patient. Often, a person receiving acupuncture may also receive some additional 'positive side effects' from the treatment. For example, they may come for back pain but also find that they start to sleep easier, their digestion may improve and they may have a stronger sense of well-being. However, these effects don't always happen for everyone.

Regarding looking for a good practitioner, it is recommended to look on the British Acupuncture Council (BAcC) of the Acupuncture Society's websites. They both have a practitioner search function of all their listed members. These two governing bodies have strict codes of practice for their members, each of which must have completed at least a 3 year accredited course in acupuncture. If you Google either 'British Acupuncture Council' or 'Acupuncture Society' you will find their websites. Then, navigate to the practitioner search page.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 2 cents meself.According to the guy I am seeing, there are negative side effects indeed. Those profound and very dangerous are mainly due to unskilled person doing acupuncture. Apparently it is possible to puncture a lung or reach heart if needles are not applied correctly. Needles should also not be placed around big vascular and nerve bundles.The person I'm seeing has over ten years experience, yet despite that he is still using an ultrasound scanner to guide the needles sometimes.I'm all about acupuncture and this kind of stuff, so at first I was alerted by it however, after some explanation from him that actually makes sense.I've seen many therapists around Preston and Greater Manchester, yet I am considering myself lucky I've found this guy. Many dabblers on the market DESPITE they are members of what'sitsname councils or societies. Anyway - to less serious side effects one should count dizziness, sleepiness, general feeling of I-don't-give-a-damn. In my case which was recent treatment of concussion, heavy tiredness. Seriously, the moment the guy left my house - I crawled back to bed and slept for 15 hours. And it works. At least it is on me. Finding a good therapist is tricky though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by tammystuart)
    Just wondering if there are side effects to acupuncture? if so, what are they and what is the worst case scenario?
    As long as you see a goo acupuncturist (you can check by reviews and qualifications) there should be very limited side effects.
    Acupuncture works by sticking tiny needles into you at various points. This can relieve tension in muscles etc. It sounds rather like bs, but I know people who have had very good experiences with acupuncture.
    Generally the side effects are what you would expect from pricking yourself with a needle accidentally.

As far as I can work out these are the side effects you are anywhere near likely to experience:
    - You may get soreness or bruising around the area they were inserted.
    - You may have a reaction like feeling dizzy or sick when it is done (like some people can get with blood tests etc) this is not exactly a reaction to the acupuncture but more of an anxious response. It is not the acupuncture harming you in any way.
    - Apparently you may be tired after a session or have an emotional reaction.
    -There may be some pain when they are in if the acupuncturist misses the mark a bit (tell them if this happens). This is less likely to happen if you have a good acupuncturist.

The people I know who have had acupuncture have had no side effects and have found the acupuncture helpful. If you can find a good acupuncturist I would suggest you give it a go.

I'm assuming you are asking this because you are considering acupuncture. If so, I would suggest you search on the internet for trained acupuncturists rather than using one in a shopping centre or something. That way you can better check reviews and credentials and are less likely to get a poor experience.

Do you mind me asking why you are considering it? If it's for something like pains it may be best to find an osteopath or something who can assess why you are having the pain better. Some osteopaths are also trained in acupuncture so would be able to offer it as treatment.

Hope that helps

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.