Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are so many drivers seeingly unaware of how a zebra crossing works? watch

ReputationRep:
    Once I stick my foot onto the road, I get the right of way. I've had plenty of mugs drive straight through, rev their engines at me, start driving towards me while I'm walking across in an attempt to get me to walk faster etc...

I've also seen a driver moan on twitter about someone not thanking them for stopping at the zebra crossing. Does she also expect people to thank her when she stops at a red light?

Edit: Typo in the title, boohoo.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I've noticed the same when it comes to crossing roads too; even when I'm ready to cross other drivers think that it's okay to ignore my presence and still drive into a junction.

ReputationRep:
    I thought pedestrians *always* had right of way? so as to not get the pedestrians run over simply by crossing a road
    pedestrians don't need a license to walk, but drivers need a license to drive - surely this is the fundamental thing which makes pedestrians always the ones to possess the right of way? I don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    Once I stick my foot onto the road, I get the right of way. I've had plenty of mugs rev their engines at me, start driving towards me while I'm walking across in an attempt to get me to walk faster etc...
    Just ignore them you have the right of way not them, If they run you over, then they are the ones that are in trouble and to blame not you, they just enjoy intimidating pedestrians in their engines.

Next time someone revs his engine stop look at them and stick you tongue out, try toying with them and see their reactions.

ReputationRep:
    nothing pisses me off more than drivers who don't use their indicators

ReputationRep:
    Oh God how boring must your life be when you're hung up on zebra crossing etiquette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)
    Oh God how boring must your life be when you're hung upon zebra crossing etiquette.
    Oh God how boring must your life be when you're hung up on about someone being hung up on zebra crossing etiquette.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny McCoyne)
    Oh God how boring must your life be when you're hung up on zebra crossing etiquette.
    The amount of times some tosser has sped up and swerved around me.

ReputationRep:
    while what you say is strictly true about "my foot is on the crossing" you're brave than me if you believe that it is wise to step out.

You do need to allow time for the ton of car to slow and stop. Personally, I assume that someone standing beside a pedestrian crossing is about to walk, but many people don't.
    Alos, when you walk along a road, you have right of way across a side road, but again, you'd be daft to not look over your shoulder in case a car was turning.

being "right" is no good when you are dead .

you need to behave responsibly whether on foot or in a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    Oh God how boring must your life be when you're hung up on about someone being hung up on zebra crossing etiquette.
    You're sad.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I always wait to ensure cars are slowing down at zebra crossings because of how idiotic some drivers are around them.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a few near misses on zebra crossings. I normally wait to make sure cars are slowing down before I cross. I know I should have right of way & they're in the wrong if they don't stop but I'd rather avoid getting run over.

ReputationRep:
    It's optional to stop at a zebra crossing. Red lights seem to be less lenient in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    Some of these ****ers just want to run you over
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Thickfreakness)
    It's optional to stop at a zebra crossing.
    Not if there's pedestrians on it. Police take a dim view if you run over someone's ankles, generally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thickfreakness)
    It's optional to stop at a zebra crossing.
    No it's not, provided someone is on it.

ReputationRep:
    i tend to look at the car to insure they know i've seen them, that way if they do run me over they can't say "he just came out of nowhere" because i have seen them so they have seen me

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.