Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got a girl coming over for a horror film movie night, what films should I include?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe_madge)
    I've got a girl coming over for a horror film movie night, what films should I include?
    None of that modern toss. Go straight for the old classics

Don't Look Now (1973)
    The Omen (1976)
    Alien (1979)
    The Evil Dead (1981)
    The Howling (1981)
    The Thing (1982)
    Poltergeist (1982)
    The Terminator (1984)
    The Fly (1986)
    Hellraiser 1 and 2 (1987)
    Predator (1987)
    Stephen Kings 'It' (1990)
    Jacob's Ladder (1990)
    Candyman (1992)
    From Dusk til Dawn (1995)

ReputationRep:
    Graveyard encounters. Underground movies are best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Few that I've seen that are good:
    Orphan
    Oculus
    Carrie 2013

ReputationRep:
    This gets to me every single time.
    The Ring (original Japanese version with English Subtitles)

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I assume it counts as a horror but I quite liked The Babadook. if it wasn't $80 I'd buy the book from the movie lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    None of that modern toss. Go straight for the old classics

Don't Look Now (1973)
    The Omen (1976)
    Alien (1979)
    The Evil Dead (1981)
    The Howling (1981)
    The Thing (1982)
    Poltergeist (1982)
    The Terminator (1984)
    The Fly (1986)
    Hellraiser 1 and 2 (1987)
    Predator (1987)
    Stephen Kings 'It' (1990)
    Jacob's Ladder (1990)
    Candyman (1992)
    From Dusk til Dawn (1995)
    Mate our boy said horror, why does thou put Arnie, Predator, Alien & IT on there (unless you have some terror of clowns I guess). Bar that though I like it, albeit I'd question if Poltergeist has lost it's "horror" over the decades, a bit like Nightmare on elm street, people aren't scared/effected as easily, fell a bit flat as a horror for me. Jacob's ladder gets in there for the visuals but the idea of the film isn't a classic horror...though I'd keep it on the list for sure.

I'll add some decent recent ones (last decade or so)...

Orphan
    The Ring & The Grudge, Japanese versions better albeit USA ring still good.
    Cabin in the Woods (sort of satire of the genre I suppose)
    The Descent
    Let the right one in (debate as to if the English re-make or original is best, English one is absolutely fine and good though)
    V/H/S & V/H/S 2

Not a horror really but Pan's Labyrinth gets an honorable mention if you're okay with subtitle's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Mate our boy said horror, why does thou put Arnie, Predator, Alien & IT on there (unless you have some terror of clowns I guess). Bar that though I like it, albeit I'd question if Poltergeist has lost it's "horror" over the decades, a bit like Nightmare on elm street, people aren't scared/effected as easily, fell a bit flat as a horror for me. Jacob's ladder gets in there for the visuals but the idea of the film isn't a classic horror...though I'd keep it on the list for sure.

I'll add some decent recent ones (last decade or so)...

Orphan
    The Ring & The Grudge, Japanese versions better albeit USA ring still good.
    Cabin in the Woods (sort of satire of the genre I suppose)
    The Descent
    Let the right one in (debate as to if the English re-make or original is best, English one is absolutely fine and good though)
    V/H/S & V/H/S 2

Not a horror really but Pan's Labyrinth gets an honorable mention if you're okay with subtitle's.

Why Predator and Alien? They aren't simply sci-fi action. What age were you when you first saw those films and how did you react to them? I was 7 at most. They were in my head when I went to bed that night. I had to go sleep in my parents bed, lol. Maybe you have to be somewhat superstitious to be disturbed by Poltergeist, but I saw it on TV one night before I went to bed and couldn't sleep easy and I was a young adult by then.
    As for your choices, I saw LTROI, Descent, and Orphan in recent years and they didn't get under my skin overall. Maybe slightly in a couple of scenes, but I couldn't give any memorable examples. I do watch these modern horrors and wonder if I'd be creeped by them as a child/adolescent and I really doubt I would very much compared with films I listed earlier.

Cabin in the Woods... oh, man don't get me started on that poor excuse of a horror film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    I was 7 at most
    ....well surely what scares you at 7 is a very different kettle of fish compared to what scares a teenager/adult looking for suggestions? Alien could be horror I'll give you that, bar I highly doubt it would feel like horror to anyone bar a child, but Predator is an action flick through and through for me.

I mean the darleks terrified my mum as a child...but they're not something which are scary beyond that. I used to have nightmares about the damn Cookie monster from Sesame street but the horror genre he ain't.

But yeah in fairness it depends what OP is looking for, scares or a story with horror elements. I mean I just chucked LTROI in because I think it's a decent film, more a thriller than a horror.

Descent is just sort of bread and butter teen group horror, but I'd still chuck it in is all.

Poltergeist wise I saw it first time a couple of years back, so say 21. Just felt more camp than anything to me, a bit like how the Nightmare Elm street films can come across (more the later ones), I think part of it was the aging special effects though.

ReputationRep:
    OMG YOU GUYS ARE NOT MENTIONING THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 1974

#1 film of all time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    ....well surely what scares you at 7 is a very different kettle of fish compared to what scares a teenager/adult looking for suggestions? Alien could be horror I'll give you that, bar I highly doubt it would feel like horror to anyone bar a child, but Predator is an action flick through and through for me.

I mean the darleks terrified my mum as a child...but they're not something which are scary beyond that. I used to have nightmares about the damn Cookie monster from Sesame street but the horror genre he ain't.

But yeah in fairness it depends what OP is looking for, scares or a story with horror elements. I mean I just chucked LTROI in because I think it's a decent film, more a thriller than a horror.

Descent is just sort of bread and butter teen group horror, but I'd still chuck it in is all.

Poltergeist wise I saw it first time a couple of years back, so say 21. Just felt more camp than anything to me, a bit like how the Nightmare Elm street films can come across (more the later ones), I think part of it was the aging special effects though.
    I think the films I listed can still have an effect on some young people who haven't got round to seeing them before. Possibly due to not watching many older horror films.
    What exactly about the Cookie Monster scared you as a child!? His shakey eyeballs? I'm beyond lost, sorry.
    What flew further over my head is when you said you found Poltergeist mostly camp. Can you show me a scene where they are behaving camp to you? Is it the dialog or what?
    And given as you dismiss it as camp, I'd say you've grown up on films mostly made after 1995 from the sounds of it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought hot tub time machine 2 was pretty scary, considering it cost $14 million to make...

ReputationRep:
    do a mini romero marathon, zombie movies rule, and the 2004 dawn of the dead remake is great too

solid horror films are rare, so like noggins suggested, you can't go wrong with his old school list

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.