Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Sociology, health and social care and photography a levels. Im On my second year, i'm pretty much predicted a B or a C for these subjects. I want to do psychology but people are trying to put me off it by saying there's loads of maths involved. I got a C in maths gcse. Is it worth it? I have a passion for why people do things, and I have GAD so im also interested in disorders.

What kind of maths is involved in a psychology degree?
    How hard is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proveniences)
    I'm doing Sociology, health and social care and photography a levels. Im On my second year, i'm pretty much predicted a B or a C for these subjects. I want to do psychology but people are trying to put me off it by saying there's loads of maths involved. I got a C in maths gcse. Is it worth it? I have a passion for why people do things, and I have GAD so im also interested in disorders.

What kind of maths is involved in a psychology degree?
    How hard is it?
    Hi! So i think it really depends on the university course, every course is different. Some have more statistics than others, so go on the website and go through the course information. If you have any questions you can always contact admissions.
    So on a side note, im completely changing career paths and im interested in doing health and social care as well as sociology/psychology. What sort of tips could you give me on doing well in health and social care...im really worried. Thank you, also i hope you find the answer your looking for. Good luck!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Actually all BPS accredited psych degrees (which you should really go for) will have a set amount of maths in the form of stats. It will be about the same for most uni's.

They start from scratch so you should be able to get the hang of it.

ReputationRep:
    you basically use computer programmes to calculate all your stats for you so you need to be able to understand the data you're using, input it and have a general sense of what your results mean

you can't avoid doing stats on a psych degree

ReputationRep:
    A lot of stats is procedural, you have to remember lots of terms and which bit to do when (and there is a ton of information out there to help you get it all straight - even when doing them), but you will do very little calculating yourself.

SPSS is the computer program for all stats, you put your numbers in, select the test and various parameters (either rote learn this, have copious notes or be an intuitive stats whizz) and click 'go'. You then interpret the output, which is standardised, so again, you can simply rote learn or have annotated copies.

We learned how to do ANOVA's and such by hand, but this was 7/8 years ago and was more so we could learn the mechanics of them - we still used SPSS to actually do them. I'm not sure how common that practice is these days.

And as has been mentioned, you start from scratch any way. You can also make friends with a stats savvy person.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, do they expect you to know SPSS and maths knowledge before the course?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by proveniences)
    Thanks for your reply, do they expect you to know SPSS and maths knowledge before the course?
    Not at all!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.