Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Adult Nursing interviews? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    has anyone had a nursing interview yet? Or existing students, what do they entail? Nervous!

ReputationRep:
    Each university is different, but usually it's more an informal chat about yourself and why you want to do nursing 😊 good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimberleyanne)
    Each university is different, but usually it's more an informal chat about yourself and why you want to do nursing 😊 good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Erm, I'm afraid you're very wrong It's a lot more than that!OP, interviews can take a variety of formats.Some universities do individual interviews, some do group interviews while others will do a combination of both of these.In an individual interview you may be asked questions such as why you want to do nursing, what nursing is, and be asked to provide examples of times when you have dealt with a stressful situation or shown compassion etc. You could well be asked about the NMC Code of Conduct (2015) and the NHS Constitution (2013) so make sure you understand what these are, what the key principles of them are, and why they are important. If you are not asked about them, it is always good to include them in your answers as it shows you have researched well. Make sure you are non-discriminatory in your answers and show compassion and care towards the service users in any hypothetical scenarios you may be given. A quick Google search will show you some common questions. Studential provide a good list. Practice answers to all of these.In a group interview, you may be given a group discussion task, such as "What are the most 3 important qualities of a nurse?" or something topical that has been in the news recently. You will be observed doing this task, with your ideas, team working and communication skills scrutinised by the observers. The tip here is to involve yourself enough, but to also listen to the other team members. Make the effort to involve others who are less vocal too - as that will look good.Also through the selection process, are maths and English tests. The pass marks and actual tasks set vary, however there are sample maths papers online you can do.I have a website with lots of resources and help on, which I can't link to here, but if you would like this, please DM me.The selection process for nursing is quite rigorous, and you are expected to appear and behave with the utmost of professionalism. It isn't an 'informal chat' as this person implies, I'm afraid.Best of luck, feel free to ask any further questions you have or to DM me.Joel

ReputationRep:
    its varies from uni to uni. Last year I had 2 interviews for Adult Nursing, one at Bradford Uni and the second at Leeds Beckett, both were group interviews - I didn't get past interview stage because my answers were not in enough "detail" haha, it's really hard to get your opinion/ideas across in a group interview because others want to talk too. Just make sure you research why you want to do Nursing, why you're so passionate about it, rehearse your answers and be confident on the day! It's not cool to be nervous and not say anything, otherwise they won't take your application any further :s your time to shine, just remember that! Good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    its varies from uni to uni. Last year I had 2 interviews for Adult Nursing, one at Bradford Uni and the second at Leeds Beckett, both were group interviews - I didn't get past interview stage because my answers were not in enough "detail" haha, it's really hard to get your opinion/ideas across in a group interview because others want to talk too. Just make sure you research why you want to do Nursing, why you're so passionate about it, rehearse your answers and be confident on the day! It's not cool to be nervous and not say anything, otherwise they won't take your application any further :s your time to shine, just remember that! Good luck x
    Can you recall anything from your bfd uni interview? And what do you think of it as a uni any good? I know the city isnt one of the best but whats your thoughts of the uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring_nurse)
    Can you recall anything from your bfd uni interview? And what do you think of it as a uni any good? I know the city isnt one of the best but whats your thoughts of the uni?
    Please remember you are not permitted to discuss details from specific universities' interviews as this gives an unfair advantage.

As for univerisities themselves... A university which is good for one person, won't be for another as each will have things that do and do suit different people. It's great to get other people's opinions but you do need to consider what is best for you, and go to as many open days as possible to make an informed decision

ReputationRep:
    Thank you 😘

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    She had her interview last year im sure they change the questions or techniques used :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Please don't discuss specific interview content. Universities will release as much information, about their interviews, as they want applicants to know.

If you keep up to date on current events in nursing/healthcare and have a good idea about the role of the nurse and the things expected of them, then you should be ok.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by aspiring_nurse)
    She had her interview last year im sure they change the questions or techniques used :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is still against the rules to discuss specific content. You need to go in to interviews on a level playing field with everyone else.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I would be careful not to sound too rehearsed. Its definitely important to do your research but preparing specific answers can stop you showing that you can actually think about what they've actually asked you.

ReputationRep:
    I got asked why I wanted to be a nurse at my interview ... pretty sure it's a generic question for nursing interviews but surprisingly, nearly tripped me up. I struggled to explain why I would want to be a nurse, as I've just assumed for so long that it was something that I would do. Make sure you know why you're doing this, and why it means so much to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleyyy)
    I got asked why I wanted to be a nurse at my interview ... pretty sure it's a generic question for nursing interviews but surprisingly, nearly tripped me up. I struggled to explain why I would want to be a nurse, as I've just assumed for so long that it was something that I would do. Make sure you know why you're doing this, and why it means so much to you.
    Good advice. I found it tricky too!

ReputationRep:
    Fab advice thanks x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Please don't discuss specific interview content. Universities will release as much information, about their interviews, as they want applicants to know.

If you keep up to date on current events in nursing/healthcare and have a good idea about the role of the nurse and the things expected of them, then you should be ok.
    Thank you ForestCat. Given the comprehensive, yet non-specific details and advice that I and other current students/qualified nurses have gone into in this thread, I believe there is actually no need to ask for specifics of one university. If someone was to follow all the advice found on TSR I'd be rather surprised if they didn't get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    hi i hope u well. Just want to ask about interview wuestions at bedfordshire uny if u remember. please What case u have to disscus in group? Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cristy55)
    hi i hope u well. Just want to ask about interview wuestions at bedfordshire uny if u remember. please What case u have to disscus in group? Many thanks
    not allowed to discuss here, sorry. research the job role and be passionate

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I just want to say to those asking for specific details about interviews at particular universities, that you shouldn't actually need this information.

If you take the time to scroll through this thread you will see plenty of advice, tips and generic answers for "What to expect", for all different types of interviews. If you take heed of this advice and research thoroughly elsewhere online, the specific format or questions of an interview shouldn't affect you.

This also applies to anyone asking a generic question such as "What can I do to prepare". Researching things thoroughly yourself is what you will be expected to do at university, so start practicing this now for your interview preparation - and also it saves contributors like myself repeating ourselves too much.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone attending the Bradford Uni Taster Session on Wednesday for Nursing??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 1, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.