Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    AS - BBC and resitting M1 and F212
    A2 Predicted - ABB
    Applied to Leeds Uni to study MChem (AAB) and got an offer so long as I attend an interview day and applied to York Uni to study Bsc (AAB) and also got an offer so long as I attend an interview day. I have no idea what to do as York is ranked quite a lot higher than Leeds for chemistry but I want to study MChem, so would there be any way to change to an MChem once I'm at York? Also I've heard you get funding of some kind if you're studying a masters so if I could change whilst at York would I be eligible for this funding

And what should I expect at these interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisPalfrey)
    The interviews are usually just a formality to sort of make sure you have opportunity to ask questions and that they can see some basic chemistry interest/knowledge. Usually will involve some questions based on A-level work but they're usually not too difficult and you're allowed to ask them for help, it's not an exam, just talk through everything and your thoughts if you're unsure. They are interested in how you tackle a problem. Outside of that it will just be why chemistry, any plans with what to do after, what do you like about your subjects, maybe how you feel they fit in etc. just general chatter.

A large part of those days is them forcing candidates to visit the department and university so you can see it and feel it for yourself. It's a lot about them trying to sell their department to you.

Usually most places are very happy to let you change onto the MChem if:
    a) straight away if you meet the grade criteria for an MChem offer (even if yours was for a BSc)
    b) at the end of first year assuming you achieve at least 60% (2:1 equivalent)
    c) at the end of the second year assuming you achieve at least 60% (2:1 equivalent)

Ask them on the open day! but that's likely the answer. The BSc and MChem will be common for the first two years so you can see there is plenty of time and opportunity before you even need to make that decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    The interviews are usually just a formality to sort of make sure you have opportunity to ask questions and that they can see some basic chemistry interest/knowledge. Usually will involve some questions based on A-level work but they're usually not too difficult and you're allowed to ask them for help, it's not an exam, just talk through everything and your thoughts if you're unsure. They are interested in how you tackle a problem. Outside of that it will just be why chemistry, any plans with what to do after, what do you like about your subjects, maybe how you feel they fit in etc. just general chatter.

A large part of those days is them forcing candidates to visit the department and university so you can see it and feel it for yourself. It's a lot about them trying to sell their department to you.

Usually most places are very happy to let you change onto the MChem if:
    a) straight away if you meet the grade criteria for an MChem offer (even if yours was for a BSc)
    b) at the end of first year assuming you achieve at least 60% (2:1 equivalent)
    c) at the end of the second year assuming you achieve at least 60% (2:1 equivalent)

Ask them on the open day! but that's likely the answer. The BSc and MChem will be common for the first two years so you can see there is plenty of time and opportunity before you even need to make that decision.
    What sort of questions? Like ones that I would have to work through on paper or just recalling things I've learnt? Just so I know what to expect and don't look a fool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisPalfrey)
    What sort of questions? Like ones that I would have to work through on paper or just recalling things I've learnt? Just so I know what to expect and don't look a fool
    I mentioned that I really liked organic stuff so lo and behold they went and asked me some simple mechanisms (like ester formation or whatever, how would these react etc.). They will all differ place to place and probably better interviewers though. Chances are it will be something to 'work out' a little bit more than just recalling random facts although they may be asking simple things there to test your understanding of why you're doing what you're doing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.