Information Management for Business at UCL vs. Business Management at KCL

Watch
Poll: Information Management for Business [UCL] or Business Management [KCL]?
Information (Technology) Management for Business (IMB) [UCL] (6)
35.29%
Business Management (BM) [KCL] (11)
64.71%
unknownFluency
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
VERY tough choice im currently faced with. Which of these two courses do you think provide the best prospects and why? Im faced with a problem because with UCL vs. KCL, I think UCL wins as a better underversity with a better reputation and status; however - with Information Management for Business (IMB) vs. Business Management, I personally thing Business Management is a must respectable course to enrol onto. The IMB course is being tried by UCL for the first time this year, and is very specific in itself. The graduate prospects are also a bit foggy at the moment, as there are no past students to look up to in regard to where they went after graduation.

I appreciate any help / advice with regard to my dilemma.
DimiTheBrave
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
KCL.
I regret not applying there when I first sent my UCAS stuff.
I think it may open more doors for your career, although if you want to do masters or professional courses after the degree UCL is a better choice.
Of course this is just my opinion.
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
I appreciate it, thank you very much.

Im still open to more suggestions, opinions, and general thoughts.
emdo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If you want to go into IB/finance UCL.

KCL looks like a nice university, and also has a good rep...but UCL does have the advantage
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
(Original post by emdo)
If you want to go into IB/finance UCL.

KCL looks like a nice university, and also has a good rep...but UCL does have the advantage
Hehe, I see. The polls currently at 50:50.. no surprise, grr.

What are you studying going to study at university?
DimiTheBrave
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Im going for International Business Management.
I would have put Kings college on my choices. But that was mainly down to my low confidence at the time. I only put Aston & RHUL in my application at the last minute. I would say employment wise Kings is better.
Do you plan on looking for employment when finished or further education?
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
(Original post by DimiTheBrave)
I would have put Kings college on my choices. But that was mainly down to my low confidence at the time. I only put Aston & RHUL in my application at the last minute. I would say employment wise Kings is better.
It's more than likely that i'd look for employment straight after university. Depending on the degree I get I'd probably look into an MBA after a few years of working. Given this information, what's your recommendation & why?

Thanks.
emdo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DimiTheBrave)
Sorry i have to disagree

Employment wise (in universities in London) After Imperial and LSE, it's UCL...THEN King's.

unkownfluency, if you plan on going straight into employment after University, I would say UCL.
DimiTheBrave
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by unkownFluency)
It's more than likely that i'd look for employment straight after university. Depending on the degree I get I'd probably look into an MBA after a few years of working. Given this information, what's your recommendation & why?

Thanks.
Similiar plan to me.
To be honest if you're sure you want to be in management I'd go for Kings College. Although UCL has a better overall reputation, you will find that kings got a better one for business & management. Visit them thats the best thing to do. If you are looking for employment abroad though, then UCL may be the better option.
Both good options, but Kings' specific business management reputation edges it for me.
I used a numerical method to help me pick my choices in the end, thats how close it was. hehe
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
I won't be studying abroad, but I'd like a 1st.. and UCL's course will allow me to ge ta 1st more easily, so I might sway for UCL. Both of the you (two posters above) have been a great help for me .

I really have to give it a few mroe months to think over. Im pretty much certain that KCL's course is more respected than the one i've applied for at UCL, but its the other way round for the Unis. I know in Investmen Banking the university matters more than the course subject itself, which is why UCL has the edge with regard to this factor.

Im also thinking about working as a consultant arter university (if i don't make it to investment banking). With this in mind, would you say it's better to have a Business Management degree ot Information Technology Management for Busienss degree. Tricky question, I know, but if I was to become a consultant and study at UCL i'd initially only be able to become an IT/Business consultant, whereas if I went to KCL i'd have a few more options available to me in consultancy.. as well as having the knowledge to startup my own business (should I want to). Your thoughts on this please? Thanks
emdo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well looking at what you said unkownfluency, then yes Business Management would be the better option for you. (sorry to those i may have challenged in the interim ).

Business Management, you are right you would have a lot more options.

But at the end of the day only you can make the decision. I would go on each website and see the modules you have to take in each course! See which ones appeal to you more.
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
Grr... I hate choosing. If UCL rejected me (seeing as I haven't got the offer yet but im 99% sure i'll get it).. I wouldn't have to make the decision.. and I'd like to say i hope I get rejected, but that would be silly :P.

Thanks for your thoughts guys & gals...
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
I might go for UCL...
emdo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ah really? So what caused you to change your mind?
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
(Original post by emdo)
Ah really? So what caused you to change your mind?
The fact that if I don't make it into Investment Banking (lets face it, theres a slim chance either way), then I can always work on a senior post in a leading IT firm. I also spoke to Chassez (Anjool) about it, and he gave me some advice, some which i'll choose to follow, others i'll disregard but appreciate.

I believe I can get a strong 2.i or even a 1st on UCL's course (as i've studied IT for a very long time), whereas I'd really have to struggle to grasp the concept of BM at KCL, as I havent studied Business since Year 11, and im a 'lil rusty on my maths too.. not to mention I haven't studied economics (at school). I've studied it at home, but thats just self-taught stuff.

I'll always think "what if" though, but i think it's the right choice, hopefully UCL's name/reputation will help me get the job I want. The courses lead to very different things, so I know in 20 years time, I'll be doing something thinking "i bet if I chose the other degree i'd be earning 10x more than im earning now" :p:.

I'm not going to submit any final decisions through UCAS yet though; im going to check out UCl and KCL in more detail before I give my final decision, but the odds are swaying more to UCL at this moment in time.
emdo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by unknownFluency)
The fact that if I don't make it into Investment Banking (lets face it, theres a slim chance either way), then I can always work on a senior post in a leading IT firm. I also spoke to Chassez (Anjool) about it, and he gave me some advice, some which i'll choose to follow, others i'll disregard but appreciate.

I believe I can get a strong 2.i or even a 1st on UCL's course (as i've studied IT for a very long time), whereas I'd really have to struggle to grasp the concept of BM at KCL, as I havent studied Business since Year 11, and im a 'lil rusty on my maths too.. not to mention I haven't studied economics (at school). I've studied it at home, but thats just self-taught stuff.

I'll always think "what if" though, but i think it's the right choice, hopefully UCL's name/reputation will help me get the job I want. The courses lead to very different things, so I know in 20 years time, I'll be doing something thinking "i bet if I chose the other degree i'd be earning 10x more than im earning now" :p:.

I'm not going to submit any final decisions through UCAS yet though; im going to check out UCl and KCL in more detail before I give my final decision, but the odds are swaying more to UCL at this moment in time.
Well, if you want go for it! UCL is a brilliant university and walking out of there with a 1st is pretty good!

I don't think you need to know any prior knowledge of business studies, i only startedd taking business studies from year 12 and i don't think there's much difference between me and those that have learnt in for GCSE.

And also you DO NOT have to study economics prior to uni, it helps yes but you go over the basics anyway in university.

But anyway good luck in whatever you choose mate
unknownFluency
Rep:
?
(Original post by emdo)
Well, if you want go for it! UCL is a brilliant university and walking out of there with a 1st is pretty good!

I don't think you need to know any prior knowledge of business studies, i only startedd taking business studies from year 12 and i don't think there's much difference between me and those that have learnt in for GCSE.

And also you DO NOT have to study economics prior to uni, it helps yes but you go over the basics anyway in university.

But anyway good luck in whatever you choose mate
I spoke to a 2nd year BM KCL student who did economics and maths at A-level. She told me the A-levels helped her a lot, and those who didn't take those two for A-levels are the ones on the course who are struggling.

I'd hate to take a course and struggle, knowing it was going to happen anyway
emdo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
^^^ Really? Wow, well now you know that. I guess you're pretty informed.
And it seems you really like IT so UCL seems the obvious choice for you mate
fbsun1
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
im currently faced with the exact same dilemma and need to make a decision, anything changed in the past few years? im leaning toward UCL....
Danllo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am also faced with the same situation currently
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads