Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge medicine -terrified watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've applied to Cambridge for medicine and I 've realised I have no extra knowledge outside of the A level syllabus . Like not even little bits here and there. I'm terrified as the other applicants probably know loads and my superficial knowledge might get picked apart? I don't know what to do, are there any areas I can read up on? I don't want to look like an idiot

ReputationRep:
    You could start reading a medical journal/magazine, but other than that, it shouldn't matter too much as long as you've got good academics and have shown s good interest in medicine.
    Remember, you're going there to learn Medicine, you don't need to know about everything already, and if you try to come across as knowing that, they'll more likely all questions that will stump you because you don't actually have the knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    Id recommend Crash Course anatomy and physiology, I'm not that interesting in medicine but I really enjoyed it!!(it's a free YouTube series, very interesting and entertaining)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gogregg)
    You could start reading a medical journal/magazine, but other than that, it shouldn't matter too much as long as you've got good academics and have shown s good interest in medicine.
    Remember, you're going there to learn Medicine, you don't need to know about everything already, and if you try to come across as knowing that, they'll more likely all questions that will stump you because you don't actually have the knowledge!
    (Original post by Vicky628)
    Id recommend Crash Course anatomy and physiology, I'm not that interesting in medicine but I really enjoyed it!!(it's a free YouTube series, very interesting and entertaining)
    thank you very much guys, appreciate the help, feel better now. Yes Ill read a journal now and check that youtube series out. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    You don't necessarily need to know extra stuff, as such. Good knowledge of the A Level stuff is probably the most important for interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    You don't necessarily need to know extra stuff, as such. Good knowledge of the A Level stuff is probably the most important for interviews.
    oh ok thank you very much, so just revise as and stuff in A2 + a bit of some journals shud be enuf ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You don't need specific knowledge (although a working familiarity with current issues would not go amiss, for the non-Oxbridge interviews mainly). You do need to be able to think through a problem logically. Reading around the subject is a good way of getting you into the right mindset I would argue, but it's not compulsory.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by GCSEHELPPLS)
    Hey guys, I've applied to Cambridge for medicine and I 've realised I have no extra knowledge outside of the A level syllabus . Like not even little bits here and there. I'm terrified as the other applicants probably know loads and my superficial knowledge might get picked apart? I don't know what to do, are there any areas I can read up on? I don't want to look like an idiot
    Hi there,

We know that interviews can be really scary. The best way not to be scared is to practise.

First of all, do some serious Googling around oxbridge style interview questions (which can be pretty bizarre). Write down answers for these to help get your brain thinking about how to answer these kinds of questions. For example, we've heard "how do birds survive at high altitude?" being asked before.

The interviewers may not necessarily be looking for the correct answers, but want to see how you think - so it also helps to say out-loud your thought process as you go along.

As people have said, read science magazines, and the science sections of online newspapers to keep you up-to-date with the latest medical news, and make notes on ones that interest you most so that you can talk about them.

Maybe get your parents or adults to interview you with some questions you've researched, to practise answering under pressure.

On our website we've got lots of free interview advice, for Cambridge and Oxford and other universities. Just click here.

We also have a weekly medical news summary blog to help you find out about the latest medical news. The most recent of these can be found here.

We hope this helps - good luck!
    TMP

ReputationRep:
    oh ok thank you very much, so just revise as and stuff in A2 + a bit of some journals shud be enuf ?
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Did you get in ?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.