Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I the only one finding English Literature boring? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I used to love English Literature at GCSE (having gained an A* in it) as I like to analyse and interpret things in ways in which people wouldn't actually think off. However, after having been at sixth form for 5 weeks, I'm starting to find it boring. It's probably because we haven't actually started poems yet (which is my favourite ever) but I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

BTW:

I'm currently studying the novel: The Great Gatsby and the play: Othello (will be studying Withering Heights later on in the year)

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't find it boring It's really interesting but the work does get to me like the new terms and analysis because they are lengthy novels you have to analyse I do othello the great gatsby and persuasion - plus they say to do wider reading there's so much to read I have A few books that I'll start soon reading though but along with my other subjects there's alot of work todo 😴

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i hated it at AS. didnt help that my teacher was a prick tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humzzay)
    Well I don't find it boring It's really interesting but the work does get to me like the new terms and analysis because they are lengthy novels you have to analyse I do othello the great gatsby and persuasion - plus they say to do wider reading there's so much to read I have A few books that I'll start soon reading though but along with my other subjects there's alot of work todo 😴

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what I think I might struggle with this year. I like to look and analyse books/plays/novels in depth but there really is limited time to learn key terms and do further reading as I am doing Psychology and Law which both require me to do extended research and learn key terms. I really did use to find English Literature interesting and I don't want to waste this year doing something that I no longer enjoy.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Sounds like you guys are studying AQA A Love Through the Ages for your first year?

I've had to do Othello when I studied it for that particular course, but it was coursework version. I really enjoyed it. Also had to compare Wuthering Heights, but couldn't get through that novel. Just boring asf! I've read TGG (twice) and still think it's a pointless novel, compared to his other novels which I adore!

Point is, you need time to settle in and if you feel you are going to find it boring then I'd drop it. There's a difference between being bored now, and getting bored further on.

I remember picking Sociology at AS and was bored from the get go up until week 6. Then decided to drop it and pick up Philosophy now. I'm now studying English Lit and Philo at uni.

You're not going to enjoy everything you read at school - like all subjects, you're not going to find every topic interesting. But I think the bigger lesson is that if you don't like a certain novel or piece of writing, then finding how to criticse it would work (probs won't do this until A2). However, if you can try to appreciate why fiction is credited for its influence, its language, etc etc, then that's OK to.

I think you just have to go with what you're feeling now. Perhaps wait until you've done your first essay and then decide to drop it? They don't cash in exams until late November anyway.

PS: TGG is short. So is Othello. Persuasion and all her other novels, are lengthy asf! Damn that Austen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinslethetreetop)
    I used to love English Literature at GCSE (having gained an A* in it) as I like to analyse and interpret things in ways in which people wouldn't actually think off. However, after having been at sixth form for 5 weeks, I'm starting to find it boring. It's probably because we haven't actually started poems yet (which is my favourite ever) but I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

BTW:

I'm currently studying the novel: The Great Gatsby and the play: Othello (will be studying Withering Heights later on in the year)
    I did Gatsby at AS! I loved it, such a poignant and dreamy book. I'm doing Wuthering Heights this year at A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinslethetreetop)
    That's what I think I might struggle with this year. I like to look and analyse books/plays/novels in depth but there really is limited time to learn key terms and do further reading as I am doing Psychology and Law which both require me to do extended research and learn key terms. I really did use to find English Literature interesting and I don't want to waste this year doing something that I no longer enjoy.
    Try reading short stories, Fitzgeralds are really good especially 'the diamond as big as the ritz' (AMAZING short story or should I say novella), and to get time in for reading set yourself a book a term; i've been doing this along my other A Levels (Maths, FM and Economics) and i've got a lot of wider reading under my belt

ReputationRep:
    My teachers a hshdjdsddk

ReputationRep:
    Boo

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was Ok at first when reading 'Othello'. But now that we have moved on to reading 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' I'm less excited for literature. I know that I've just started, but the book is boring me at the moment and I'm finding it hard to read, making Literature a pain to get through.

ReputationRep:
    I love love love english, but I I've gone from being an easy A* at GCSE to getting Cs whilst spending hours on my essays (when I'm not going to have hours in the exam.)The feedback is also really vague, such as 'make sure to write specifically about all areas' but then when I ask she can't tell me what I've missed exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloRose)
    I thought it was Ok at first when reading 'Othello'. But now that we have moved on to reading 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' I'm less excited for literature. I know that I've just started, but the book is boring me at the moment and I'm finding it hard to read, making Literature a pain to get through.
    I'm also doing Othello and Tess. I agree too, I thought Tess was really boring at first but I managed to get through phase 1 and then I watched BBC's series of Tess, of only phase 1. I think I'm going to read each phase then watch them after, as I found it made me more interested in the book. The TV series is really good to watch too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleegill6)
    I'm also doing Othello and Tess. I agree too, I thought Tess was really boring at first but I managed to get through phase 1 and then I watched BBC's series of Tess, of only phase 1. I think I'm going to read each phase then watch them after, as I found it made me more interested in the book. The TV series is really good to watch too.
    Yeah, every time we finish reading something, like with Othello, we watch the film adaptions or any other media adaptions because we use them in our research and for comparisons in essays. We were talking about the Tess series the other day, but the teacher didn't know what it was called or something like that. I'm only on chapter 5 at the moment ;D

ReputationRep:
    The TV series is just called 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' it's a BBC production and you can find it on YouTube )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChloRose)
    Yeah, every time we finish reading something, like with Othello, we watch the film adaptions or any other media adaptions because we use them in our research and for comparisons in essays. We were talking about the Tess series the other day, but the teacher didn't know what it was called or something like that. I'm only on chapter 5 at the moment ;D
    Haha. I finally managed to finish Tess two days ago, after two months of reading it bit by bit. I find the story line interesting, but the actual book somewhat boring. How are you finding the course? I'm guessing your theme is aspects of tragedy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Haha. I finally managed to finish Tess two days ago, after two months of reading it bit by bit. I find the story line interesting, but the actual book somewhat boring. How are you finding the course? I'm guessing your theme is aspects of tragedy?
    the course is great! With there only being a couple of people in my class its a lot easier to feel confident and free with opinions. And no, we are doing 'Love through the ages'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    im doing aspects of tragedy and i am also doing Tess, how was your exam on friday did you do othello and death of a salesman?

for the exam on 26th may, do you mind telling me how you are going to structure the essay for tess? and are you doing thomas hardy poems?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.