The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, ask yourselves this: should a balaclava or other garment that covers the face be permitted? If not, why should somebody's personal religious beliefs entitle them to their own rules?

If there isn't a security or hygiene risk involved, then people can go ahead and wear them. However, I really dislike it when rules are bent or broken in order to pander to religious beliefs, because it defeats the very purpose of those rules.
I agree with Jack on the 1st page.
I've had many doctors who have worn veils, so ridiculous.
Unless you think crazy thoughts you'd feel intimidated that the doctor is a kidnapper or serial killer or random person pretending to be a doctor just because of the veil.
:nah:

Original post by elliemayxo
No they shouldn't. It's intimidating. Don't come here with your religion when we can't do the same with ours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you mentally ill?

I'm not even Muslim and that was appalling. How you're still on this site loud and free boggles my damn mind.

And what do you mean "ours?" What religion are you prohibited from practicing??! :toofunny:

Original post by enaayrah
No, purely for the sake of safety and identity

Ok your opinion and appropriately stated. Take notes, elli.
Original post by tazarooni89
Well then it's just as stupid to ban veils, since they cause no more harm at those moments than a surgical mask.

lmao good point.

Like who stops the surgical process to sketch down every masked nurse's face?! lol
you really only know/care about your actual dr's "identity." You don't bother to tell the nurse to pull their surgical/anti-germ masks off, do you people?! lool
That would be most eccentric like

you're in labor

and while your baby's head is halfway out you say between heavy breaths, covered in blood and placenta, legs here to there, "wait...everyone...remove your masks first!"

:rolleyes:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
What a childish, spiteful response.

Original post by preetg97
Was that really necessary?

Oh look- the Lefties don't like British people exercising their right to free speech. Bet you didn't have a problem with the poppy-burning and placards threatening to kill us infidels though?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Xenophobe

Yeah its not like the religion of the veil is responsible for 99% of global terrorism. Oh wait....
Original post by Oh ooo
Oh now I see why most of TSR hates you after you made that thread. You're a narcissistic, self righteous, small minded individual.

So basically, you're a leftie who is crying and doesn't have a valid, reasoned, logic argument to counter her post?
Original post by billydisco
Oh look- the Lefties don't like British people exercising their right to free speech. Bet you didn't have a problem with the poppy-burning and placards threatening to kill us infidels though?

Original post by Emily.97
How is it intimidating?

Are you honestly going to ask such stupid questions?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Thanks for proving Lefties don't mind the poppy-burning.

Oh look, an unimaginative somebody who can only use 'leftie' as an insult. Boring. :smile:

And you'll find that I have a problem with those people too. Stop jumping to conclusions. :sigh:
Original post by Jawline?
I love your views.

British people need to start standing up for themselves before the minority far right wing become a well supported voice.

Political correctness has gone too far, it's time to speak out before it's too late.

I love British multiculturalism but there are certain groups in society *cough* who are taking the absolute piss and ruining it for other minorities who embrace British values and love Britain.

I loved the way Sikhs grouped-together and protected themselves (and their native communities) during the 2011 riots.
Thanks for proving Lefties don't mind the poppy-burning.

It;s more that we can call you out on your views without compromising freedom of speech.

In the spirit of that comic no... You can burn a poppy if you so wish. I don;t have to help you or not say you are an ass for doing so. In that sense I do mind. But the I also mind how the poppy symbol can be adopted as a symbol for warmongers. Do you have problem with freedom fo speech then?

Personally more of a white poppy type anyway :yy:

I loved the way Sikhs grouped-together and protected themselves (and their native communities) during the 2011 riots.

Why shouldn't they? I'm sure otehr communities did. At least I hope so. Otherwise the Sikhs are showing us up.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh look, an unimaginative somebody who can only use 'leftie' as an insult. Boring. :smile:

I thought being called naive was an insult?

And you'll find that I have a problem with those people too. Stop jumping to conclusions. :sigh:

Yeah course you do, whilst reading the Guardian which is justifying their actions.
Original post by rat poison
lmao good point.

Like who stops the surgical process to sketch down every masked nurse's face?! lol
you really only know/care about your actual dr's "identity." You don't bother to tell the nurse to pull their surgical/anti-germ masks off, do you people?! lool
That would be most eccentric like

you're in labor

and while your baby's head is halfway out you say between heavy breaths, covered in blood and placenta, legs here to there, "wait...everyone...remove your masks first!"

:rolleyes:

Okay, it's fine to wear surgical masks at all those moments then. But then it should also be fine to wear veils at those moments too (i.e. leave it to the doctor's discretion).

I have seen no example provided in this thread, of any situation in which a veil creates some kind of detrimental effect in a hospital where a surgical mask does not. And so there is no reason at any time, for one to be banned but for the other not to be.
Okay, it's fine to wear surgical masks at all those moments then. But then it should also be fine to wear veils at those moments too (i.e. leave it to the doctor's discretion).

I have seen no example provided in this thread, of any situation in which a veil creates some kind of detrimental effect in a hospital where a surgical mask does not. And so there is no reason at any time, for one to be banned but for the other not to be.

Do you realize I'm agreeing with you? I was presenting a scenario where masks are used and how crazy it would be to ask them to remove the masks, so put the veil in that same scenario, and you'd look foolish.
Original post by elliemayxo
Exactly. If I went over there and showed any of my skin then God knows what would happen to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Went over there. Where? A Hospital? Or do you mean the various Muslim countries that are OK with you "showing any of your skin"....
Original post by Jawline?
I love your views.

British people need to start standing up for themselves before the minority far right wing become a well supported voice.

Political correctness has gone too far, it's time to speak out before it's too late.

I love British multiculturalism but there are certain groups in society *cough* who are taking the absolute piss and ruining it for other minorities who embrace British values and love Britain.

You sound quite far right yourself, by implying that Muslims hate the UK and "are taking the absolute piss and ruining it for other minorities"

Would you say the same thing about Jewish people? I mean they certainly said similar things in the 20's..
Personally I would be less comfortable being treated by someone with their whole face covered, however it would depend on who they were and the situation, e.g. I think it would be more an issue for nurses as doctors often only spend a few minutes with a patient and are often not very approachable or friendly anyway (please don't slate me for this, my own experience with the medical profession is not good) whereas nurses are there to comfort patients and so on and so it would be more of a barrier. Likewise, if I popped to the GP to get a prescription quickly it wouldn't bother me, if I had an intimate examination or was talking about something sensitive I would feel less comfortable.

Not sure where I would stand on it as a policy. I would generally fully support anyone being able to wear whatever religious dress they choose to but I do think it could genuinely be an issue with a doctor. Perhaps it would be less so if people were more used to the idea? Perhaps a doctor with really good people skills could overcome the barrier? I haven't been in the situation so I'm not sure.
Reply 258
I don't want NHS surgeons and doctors to dress as ninjas. If they must wear fancy dress to work I insist they come as scary clowns or pirates.

I have seen no example provided in this thread, of any situation in which a veil creates some kind of detrimental effect in a hospital where a surgical mask does not.

But I think we did establish that both would cause problems if worn at the wrong time, and that surgeons don't wear masks at the wrong time.

Latest

Trending

Trending