Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied to it or have been to the programme before. If so did you get a email offering you a place? How does this benefit you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    So I applied for a place in September 2014 after my school's UCAS advisor told me about it and I applied online and managed to secure a place on the History and Politics stream! No matter what stream you apply for, I would definitely say apply because they take on very few people compared to the 900 applicants (I think) that applied - and what's the harm in applying?
    K+ offers several days up at their Strand (humanities) or Waterloo (Science) campus throughout year 12 with lectures on various subject-related courses and lectures on how to apply to the university and extra information on funding and university life. I found these to very informative as they extended my course range and answered questions I had about university as, just as the course intends, I will be the first in my family to go to university. Roughly these take place once a month (none during the Yr12 exam season and none during the school day of Yr13) with free lunch and travel expenses covered. As well as an academic day out, my stream's day out was to the British Museum but others have included the British library (Lang + Lit) , Courts of Justice (Law) and I think the Science Stream visited a lab.
    Meanwhile, you get assigned a mentor who you can message through King's online platform. They are usually subject related (mine was studying Law at Kings) and are incredibly helpful as you can ask them about university life, UCAS and personal statements.
    However, the highlight for me was the K+ Spotlight Summer School which took place in the last week of July and was so much fun! Throughout the week we were put into groups, attended lectures on further information about university e.g. funding, had a lecture from Bianca Miller (finalist of The Apprentice 2014), attended a university society session and on the Wednesday we had a free trip on the London Eye and free pizza express pizza!
    Plus all week we had a master class each (there's two per stream, mine was on the IRA but the other History and Politics was on the media in the middle east, Lang + Lit was Shakespeare or Culture in London, Law was Democracy, Maths was coding - the science streams were on a separate summer school) day from a PhD and this culminated in presenting a presentation with our group (more fun than you might imagine) and watching all the other streams presentations. These were assessed by judges, no pressure but my group won this year (2015). =D
    At the end the summer school you will go away and write a university level essay on the topic studied at the summer school and this be assessed by the PhD tutor. In early September you will receive your grades, even though I wrote mine while on holiday I managed to score 69/100, which is a 2:1 but 1 mark off a 1st. The essay will be gold dust on your personal statement!

Overall, I would say that K+ would be very informative and fun whatever stream you apply for so go for it!!!

ReputationRep:
    The previous poster summed it up perfectly! I'm also on my second year of K+but on the Healthcare stream.

The Spotlight Summer School was also a highlight for me, my assignment was on the genetic and environmental causes of anxiety disorders and I managed to get a 1st so it looked good on my reference I'd also add that the social aspect of K+ is great, I've made good friends with people from all over London (lots of religions/ethnicities which was great since I come from a mostly white area). Our culture day was at the Florence Nightingale museum.

One of the major perks of K+ is the continuous support you receive to make your UCAS application as strong as possible. We also get extra consideration if we apply to Kings, so if for any reason we are about to receive a rejection the widening participation team fight your corner to get you an offer/interview/place.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to K+ last year, and I got the confirmation that I got in through email. I am in the healthcare stream.
    The whole experience was so beneficial because you got to meet academics and students of King's that told you so many things. Also during the summer school we got a lecture from the head of King's Admissions who was very honest about the whole application process.
    The most useful part of K+ for me was the access to King's Library. It was soo amazing to have access to so many books that I could use for many of my school projects/essays
    The best part of K+ was meeting new people who share the same passions as you and making great friends!
    GD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone find it stressful to have to miss school days to go to your sessions at K+?

ReputationRep:
    Missing days wasn't that stressful as only one day a month will be missed and the day missed varies each month so you shouldn't continually miss the same lessons. Plus, because I was missing the school day for K+ which they had made me apply for and it was extra curricular so they allowed the time off without much trouble. The teachers were also quite understanding, as long as you tell them advance, and would put together the work covered in the lesson so it was easy to catch up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerrcurr)
    Missing days wasn't that stressful as only one day a month will be missed and the day missed varies each month so you shouldn't continually miss the same lessons. Plus, because I was missing the school day for K+ which they had made me apply for and it was extra curricular so they allowed the time off without much trouble. The teachers were also quite understanding, as long as you tell them advance, and would put together the work covered in the lesson so it was easy to catch up.
    alright thankyou, that should be fine then providing my teachers actually give me all the work i missed lol

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.