Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Uni Funding HELP watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im studying an engineering degree at the moment and am in my third and final year.

Im considering doing a 1 year long masters at a different uni after I graduate (the fees for the masters is £9000).

Does anybody know if i will be able to get sfe or anything else to help with the study?

ive heard that sfe works for a max of 4 years but i dont know whether the scenario i described will work or not.

help, and thanks

ReputationRep:
    As far as i know sfe only covers intergrated masters as in you dont graduate at all until you have finished the 4 years
    Otherwise you have to fund yourself

ReputationRep:
    There's currently no SF funding for a stand-alone Masters.

There was supposed to be a new SF-style loan for a capped number of Masters students, starting next September. However, the government is still "discussing" it and you'd be unwise to plan your future on getting one. In any case, it was only planned to be a max of £10,000, which wouldn't cover fees+living costs for the majority of Masters courses. There was also the suggestion that it may be limited to STEM subjects, and it had an upper age limit of 30.

My feeling is that even if it goes ahead (a stonking big "if", in my opinion), it won't solve the problem of Masters funding completely - even for those who get it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There's the career development loans. I don't know a huge amount about them though. Someone on the Postgraduate forum will do though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momoals)
    Hi, im studying an engineering degree at the moment and am in my third and final year.

Im considering doing a 1 year long masters at a different uni after I graduate (the fees for the masters is £9000).

Does anybody know if i will be able to get sfe or anything else to help with the study?

ive heard that sfe works for a max of 4 years but i dont know whether the scenario i described will work or not.

help, and thanks
    no student finance. you can get a career development loan for a max £10000 but its credit checked so you aren't guarenteed all or any of the money and you have to pay it back a couple of months after graduating whether you are in work or not.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.